Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737323 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 21:36:36 »

Brutal riding to and from work today. With the witchelstowe road closed and kingshill nose to tail traffic as a result, had to resort to going up the old railway line, muddy but rideable, even on slicks. Shame the bike is caked though. Headwind was gross too.

The wind ramped up the bonkers factor to 50 on the way back though. Didn't fancy going down the railway line with the mud in the dark so resorted going through old town and all the fucking traffic, with the crosswinds trying to hitch me off the bike at every opportunity.

Worst ride ever. The traffic caused by just that witchelstowe road closing takes the piss.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 21:45:59 »

Brutal riding to and from work today. With the witchelstowe road closed and kingshill nose to tail traffic as a result, had to resort to going up the old railway line, muddy but rideable, even on slicks. Shame the bike is caked though. Headwind was gross too.

The wind ramped up the bonkers factor to 50 on the way back though. Didn't fancy going down the railway line with the mud in the dark so resorted going through old town and all the fucking traffic, with the crosswinds trying to hitch me off the bike at every opportunity.

Worst ride ever. The traffic caused by just that witchelstowe road closing takes the piss.

Rather than go up Kingshill, take the backsies, which start by the filling station, itself on the end of a cycle track under WBR bridge...it comes out about 2/3 of the way up, cross over and a short bit of pavement to Clifton Street turn, which leads into OT via back streets.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: Thursday, December 19, 2013, 10:17:27 »

Wait until they catch the big one  Yes No wonder he gets so irate when talking about cycling being riven with doping cheats. Me think he doth protest too much.

You are Ebeneezer Scrooge AICMFP.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: Thursday, December 19, 2013, 15:51:14 »

Know the feeling! Cycled to work last night in what may have been the worst of the storm. Fortunately there was a nice tail wind for most of the way, but the force of crosswinds at every crossroads I met was phenomenal! At points when the wind was in my face, the icy gusts took my breath away!

Rode very aggressively in the middle of the road in the end after I was 'buzzed' by a double decker bus! Can't believe the twat gave me no leeway when the road is notoriously bumpy from patching and was strewn with debris and enormous puddles from the storm.

Journey home this morning was interesting, due to having to negotiate an overnight ford and downed tree blocking the only piece of cycle path on my route! I hope tonight's journey is more pleasant!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 20:46:49 »

i've been looking into a relatively cheap upgrade on wheels for my triban. having done the opposide of 4D i've googled and done a bit of research. has anyone seen a good set of wheels sub £200 that are noticeably lighter than my 2.2kg wheels?

i found these:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cole/rollen-lite-700c-clincher-road-wheel-set-ec040074#reviews

but samdy seems to be able to winkle out a bargain!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 21:04:41 »

you might want to look at these - I have the R3's and they are super. Somebody else on here has the R5s and are equally pleased.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheelset-2013/
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 21:07:52 »

Once someone has sorted out Bennett, can I ask about full length mudguards?

I was looking at some SKS Commuter MTB Mudguards but don't know the difference between those, SKS Chromoplastics, SKS Bluemels and any other brand. Are they all much of a muchness?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 21:14:13 »

All i know about mudguards is that you either go light and have what are effectively clip ons, or go a little heavier and get ones that bolt on.

Taking a quick look it seems that the bluemels seem to be a little more robust and are bolt on.

Read the wiggle Q&As - I find them very helpful.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:00:29 »

you might want to look at these - I have the R3's and they are super. Somebody else on here has the R5s and are equally pleased.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheelset-2013/

That would be me...   Bye

The R5's are great and really made a difference they are however an absolute bitch to get tyres on and off of!

I think I paid about£170 from Ribble. Now 5's are £179 (Ribble or Merlin) and 7's about £120? But I imagine sales will kick off week after Christmas so may be wise to keep eyes open!
« Last Edit: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:02:34 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:01:53 »

Equally if anyone see's any decent helmet  Girl Giggle offers let me know, need to splash the Christmas bonus on a new one.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:10:14 »

I thought it was  Bye  what tyres are you using ?? I've found that this makes a huge difference.

I need a new helmet too, well it needs to match my bike  :gay:

And maybe new shoes.............

horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #971 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:24:51 »

Gatorskins!

They slip onto the stock wheels which came with bike (generic specialized hubs with Alex rims) but are god awful tight on the R5's. Lost count of the tubes nicked getting them on and off.

Can't justify new shoes but helmet is knacked (old)!
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:28:28 »

I've got/had gators and they are the hardest to get on on off. I bought some GP4000s which are easier. I've heard that Schwalbe Ultremos are a lot easier too. I found that my gatorskins cracked/split - have yours ?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:30:22 »

I've got/had gators and they are the hardest to get on on off. I bought some GP4000s which are easier. I've heard that Schwalbe Ultremos are a lot easier too. I found that my gatorskins cracked/split - have yours ?

They haven't yet but to be honest not done great mileage this year.  I have heard that with conti's as they are hand made they do suffer from Friday afternoon syndrome and it's a bit of a lottery how well they last?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 22:39:43 »

ok, cheers. I'm really happy with them, just hope I don't get too many roadside punctures.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: