Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737580 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: Monday, December 2, 2013, 14:41:08 »

D.I.V.O.R.C.E on the cards if I do! (And if I'm so tight I won't pay £150 + cadence + HRM for the Garmin then do you think I'm going to give her 1/2 my money in a divorce?)

P.S. You could always buy me one for Xmas ?

This is why you never tell the wife the true cost of anything. She doesn't need to know that the Garmin costs any more than the Bryton Wink
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: Monday, December 2, 2013, 14:46:58 »

@Samdy & Bewster: This is my Xmas present which is how she found out the cost! :-(

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: Monday, December 2, 2013, 14:49:56 »

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: Monday, December 2, 2013, 14:56:15 »

To be fair, Mrs B is a keen cyclist too so I have that as extra support on the finance committee meetings.

Its like the 105 updgrade for the new bike, I used the groupset already on the bike to upgrade hers, everyone wins. (although some animals win more than others)  Grin
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 16:45:18 »

Shhh!! Had a change of heart. Shhh!! Not telling the boss. Shhh!! Now I just need to find one cheaper than £130 from Handtec. Shhh !! anyone got any contacts in the trade? Shh!!

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 18:49:30 »

Is that for the 500? £130 is a good price for that.

Think Amazon had them at £99 on Black Friday, but you'll be lucky to get it around that price. Sometimes Halfords have job lots that they sell off cheap, but that doesn't happen too often.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 18:51:17 »

Is that for the 500? £130 is a good price for that.

Think Amazon had them at £99 on Black Friday, but you'll be lucky to get it around that price. Sometimes Halfords have job lots that they sell off cheap, but that doesn't happen too often.

Yes, £130 for the 500 is the cheapest I can find.

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 19:55:43 »

That's a great price. Be careful with Handtec though, I've heard mixed reports. Having said that I've rarely found cheaper.

There some a bit cheaper on eBay but I'd pay more for peace of mind. With the new 510 out you'd expect prices to come down.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 20:01:27 by Bewster » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 20:26:55 »

Might wait until after Xmas - But there again! :-)

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 21:30:12 »

Might wait until after Xmas - But there again! :-)

And you nag me for being indecisive.  Grin
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 11:59:13 »

Bloody typical! Got drenched and plastered in crap from the road on the way home yesterday. Now I have a problem with the bike.

Tried to adjust the limits on the front dérailleur today and all of sudden there was a 'ping' and I now seem to only be able to move the chain onto the biggest chainlink. It won't go back off of it onto the middle nor smallest chainlink. I can push the dérailleur back with my hand, but it appears as if the spring the pushes it back has come off of its mounting and therefore no longer has tension.

Any suggestions?

Think its going to have to be a bike shop job. If so, any idea how much it might cost? £10s or £100s ?

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 12:08:44 »

If it's the front mech that's gone ping, which it sounds like, then they're cheap as chips. Changing one is 20 minutes work for a competent bike mechanic.

Although if it was working fine before and wasn't rubbing or dropping the chain, why did you go buggering with the limit screws?!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 15:05:31 »

If it's the front mech that's gone ping, which it sounds like, then they're cheap as chips. Changing one is 20 minutes work for a competent bike mechanic.

Although if it was working fine before and wasn't rubbing or dropping the chain, why did you go buggering with the limit screws?!
Because it was starting to jump off of the biggest chain ring and I had to adjust the rear dérailleur because it it was starting to sound noisy. Sad thing was, I'd just got it perfect and then it went ping!

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 17:34:32 »

I try to avoid adjusting limit screws unless I have replaced the cables. Usually any jumping is a sign of cable stretch or wear.

As Sam said take it to your LBS, cheap and easy, unless you go for XT.  Grin
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 23:19:20 »

I try to avoid adjusting limit screws unless I have replaced the cables. Usually any jumping is a sign of cable stretch or wear.

As Sam said take it to your LBS, cheap and easy, unless you go for XT.  Grin
My friend has just emailed to say that we went to his LBS and described the problem. He was told it's going to need a front derailleur change as once those springs have become unattached they're very difficult if not nigh on impossible to get back on.  Damage is about £30 for part and £10 for labour. Doh!

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: