Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737543 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 22:18:06 »

Anybody ordered anything from Winstanley's Cycles online, as in a complete bike? Decent and reputable dealer, or should I avoid like the plague.....?

They are fine, bought some stuff from them in the past - good service although not a great website IMO

On the subject of online bike shops it's amazing how much variety there is in price - for example Merlin were/are doing Full 105 groupset for £380 where as most others were nearer £600.

I wasn't too upset when I was told I had to go food shopping this morning and not go for a ride  Smiley
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 22:22:49 »

Had my first taste of track cycling today (watching!) at the World Cup in Manchester.

Incredible value for money... we had racing 9am-5.30pm, second row seats on the finishing straight all for £30.

The final race of the day, the scratch race, was brilliantly ridden. Mueller attacked with 11 or 12 laps remaining and managed to just hold off the rapidly approaching Viviani on the line. Worth finding the highlights, if you can.

Great day out, recommended.

Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 23:17:15 »

Had my first taste of track cycling today (watching!) at the World Cup in Manchester.

Incredible value for money... we had racing 9am-5.30pm, second row seats on the finishing straight all for £30.

The final race of the day, the scratch race, was brilliantly ridden. Mueller attacked with 11 or 12 laps remaining and managed to just hold off the rapidly approaching Viviani on the line. Worth finding the highlights, if you can.

Great day out, recommended.

I've got tickets for the Revolution at the Olympic Park Velodrome in the spring.

Looking forward to it
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: Monday, November 4, 2013, 09:20:20 »

This talk of bike brands has got me thinking as I realise I hold some really bizarre prejudices when it comes to certain brands and I wonder whether its just me.. Before I start just to confirm at present I have a road bike and a mtb, both of which are Specialized - which I know is a dull corporate monolith and will make some of the following even more odd.

In no particular order...

Giant - I have this preconception that these are like the VW of bikes, dependable but unexciting.
Trek - Corporate company and uninspiring -and nothing to do with Armstrong.
Cannondale - see above.
Wilier - Lovely but ridden by dentists.
Pinarello -  above but worse.
Canyon - No idea about bikes but I like the graphics
Felt - Obviously ridden by the cycling gods  Cheesy

However I have always wanted an Orbea although people say they are a harsh ride.....

As I said makes no sense at all - feel free to add to the list.

You calling me a Dentist?

Cunt Wink
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #829 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 15:23:08 »

What will they think of next? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24960489
« Last Edit: Monday, November 18, 2013, 15:25:10 by Sir Pissalot » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 15:38:58 »

They should build an underground route for cyclists in London.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 18:26:58 »

They should build an underground route for cyclists in London.

Sadly the shocking stat is that 6 cyclists have been killed in London in the last 14 days.
How about making it law that cyclists wear a helmet,now i know that wouldn't save all but surely it is just common sense to bring this law in.
As a lorry driver in and out of London regular it amazes me that this isn't a basic requirement.
Can i add this isn't a go at the cyclists who like lorry drivers are good and bad in equal measures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country

Funny how the Aussies deem it mandatory.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 18:41:06 »

It's not just helmets though, it's encouraging all round cycling safety.

Just spend 5 minutes on Youtube watching videos of idiots that jump red lights, hop on and off of pavements and cut up the inside/between buses and HGVs and you'll soon see that making people wear a helmet isn't going to stop them from getting killed.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 19:22:27 »

Just spend 5 minutes on Youtube watching videos of idiots that jump red lights, hop on and off of pavements and cut up the inside/between buses and HGVs and you'll soon see that making people wear a helmet isn't going to stop them from getting killed.

The only real way to stop drivers and pedestrians and cyclists from causing accidents on each other is to separate them entirely. That works with drivers/pedestrians with this amazing thing called a 'pavement'. Unfortunately nothing yet exists to separate cyclists/drivers or cyclists/pedestrians without intruding on or the other's space. I'm not blaming any one group, there are morons who walk and morons who drive and morons who bike, just making the point that all three need to be separated 'properly' from each other for deaths to decrease.

That being said, watching knobbers cycle on the road, then on the pavement, then crossing a pedestrian crossing to skip a red light, then picking between pedestrians on a zebra crossing without stopping, then cutting around cars etc. makes we wish I had a large stick to put between their spokes. I suppose there's always Darwinian law, but other people always suffer...
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 19:24:20 »

Oh Sam...not just about getting killed though is it....thousands sustain serious injury with just the smallest of bumps on the ground.
Foolish to think that helmets wont save lives and injuries whatever the driving conditions.
Like saying you dont need seat belts if people drive more safely.....course you do.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 19:45:23 »

Not a dig at the average Joe on a mountain bike,adorning the company hi viz,on his/ her way to work but since the olympics,its
the surge of professional "weekend wannabee wiggins" type that get on my tits.
Imo they should all wear purple helmets.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 20:56:32 »

Armstrong meets O'Reilly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2508961/LANCE-ARMSTRONG-WORLD-EXCLUSIVE-Drugs-cheat-meets-accuser-Emma-OReilly.html
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 21:00:32 »

My 10p's worth-

Helmets. Designed to protect the head during low speed impacts. Getting twatted by a 20+ tonne tipper or rear ended by a 50mph Saxo chav or other idiot, just so much fog. As for the low speed impacts, yes they can make a difference but, they increase the size of the head and there are studies out there that suggest that in some instances, a helmet can increase the liklihood of serious neck injury. These can be caused by the helmet impacting the ground when a head wouldn't necesarily do so and putting bending force throughy the neck. Alos rotational injury- helmet getting caught on the rough road surface as opposed to sliding, causing a twisting injury to the neck.

Segregation. A good idea in some circumstances such as extremely busy A roads but need seroius thought and planning. I've utilised some segregated facilities in London and there is nothing worse than having to give way to traffic joining the major route every 100 yards or so because the joining road cuts accross and has precedence over the cycle lane. Apart fom the busy trunk roads, why segregate? There are perfectly good cycle facilities all over the country. They are called roads.

The most important factor in cycle safety is training of ALL road users and proper enforcement of the law. More traffic police to persecute twats behind the wheel, behind the handlebars (human and internal combustion powered) and educating moron pedestrians. I regularly take a sharp breath through gritted teeth when I witness such stupidity as pedestrians so engrossed in their iPod or mobile phone that they just stroll out into the road, or cyclists riding up the inside of HGV's or busses, even when they are indicating left, or drivers pushing the limit just that little bit as they drive through a red light as the other light goes green.

All aspect of road use is populated by really decent folk as well as complete knobbers.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 21:12:23 »

Armstrong meets O'Reilly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2508961/LANCE-ARMSTRONG-WORLD-EXCLUSIVE-Drugs-cheat-meets-accuser-Emma-OReilly.html

Judging by some of Lances' recent comments, the shit is surely going to hit the fan for some of the grand high mucky mucks of the sport during his era.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 22:40:08 »

My 10p's worth-

Helmets. Designed to protect the head during low speed impacts. Getting twatted by a 20+ tonne tipper or rear ended by a 50mph Saxo chav or other idiot, just so much fog. As for the low speed impacts, yes they can make a difference but, they increase the size of the head and there are studies out there that suggest that in some instances, a helmet can increase the liklihood of serious neck injury. These can be caused by the helmet impacting the ground when a head wouldn't necesarily do so and putting bending force throughy the neck. Alos rotational injury- helmet getting caught on the rough road surface as opposed to sliding, causing a twisting injury to the neck.

Segregation. A good idea in some circumstances such as extremely busy A roads but need seroius thought and planning. I've utilised some segregated facilities in London and there is nothing worse than having to give way to traffic joining the major route every 100 yards or so because the joining road cuts accross and has precedence over the cycle lane. Apart fom the busy trunk roads, why segregate? There are perfectly good cycle facilities all over the country. They are called roads.

The most important factor in cycle safety is training of ALL road users and proper enforcement of the law. More traffic police to persecute twats behind the wheel, behind the handlebars (human and internal combustion powered) and educating moron pedestrians. I regularly take a sharp breath through gritted teeth when I witness such stupidity as pedestrians so engrossed in their iPod or mobile phone that they just stroll out into the road, or cyclists riding up the inside of HGV's or busses, even when they are indicating left, or drivers pushing the limit just that little bit as they drive through a red light as the other light goes green.

All aspect of road use is populated by really decent folk as well as complete knobbers.
Must admit that I quite like the idea of getting a full face helmet when commuting - Bought one for my youngest son a few years ago. I know its not the done thing, but why not?

I feel pretty vulnerable, which is why I light myself up like a Christmas tree and ride in the middle of the road as often as possible - That way, motorists have to think about the on coming traffic when over taking me.

I find getting sprayed with surface water or feeling back drafts from vehicles overtaking too close very scary. I also find it scary that cars have forced me through massive puddles (aka fords) when overtaking, when its been quite clear that there is a hazard ahead. As a motorist, I was always taught to look ahead and try to anticipate what the guy in front might have to do, as it is my responsibility to make sure I don't hit him!

Unfortunately, as well as knobbers, there are a lot of decent folk out there that either make the odd mistake or do the odd stupid thing

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: