Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737472 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Monday, September 2, 2013, 23:45:13 »

Am thinking about cycling to work from Calne to Devizes, but the road from blacklands to the golf club concerns me (hilly, narrow and some nasty blind bends). Anyone ridden that route before?

I'd be more worried about the 361...you can avoid that by going through Roundway...but it's a steep bugger hill out of there. Only done the the track up to the golf club from there...but the tracks to Heddington and Stockley might provide an alternative.
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 07:43:40 »

I heard this, when watching the Vuelta...well pleased, I'm hoping it stays as Euskaltel....despite being moved to Asturias.

What I've always liked most about Euskaltel...is they seem to compete, without necessarily always winning, but representing the region is the main thing, and so developing young cyclists.

Enjoying the vuelta despite only local interest being Nicolas Roche. I was actually shouting Tony Martin to the line after his 170k time trial. Extraodinary.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 08:27:26 »

Enjoying the vuelta despite only local interest being Nicolas Roche. I was actually shouting Tony Martin to the line after his 170k time trial. Extraodinary.

That was agonisingly awesome, we're told that a lone rider just can't go out and ride away from the peloton for any great length, Martin nearly did it...I was gutted he got caught with about 3 metres to go after 170 in front.

Nothing against Roche, but regard Irishmen as being just like any other European. My interest is now with Chris Horner...nearly 42 and won that stage up yesterday's wall...being a yank, you have to wonder if he's clean, hopefully so, because it's good to see the likes of him and Jens still going.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 09:44:05 »

Martin vs. Wiggins at the TT World Champs later this month should be interesting.

Martin is obviously back to form after a poor TdF and Wiggins stuffed (an admittedly poor) Cancellara by nearly a minute in the TT stage at the Tour of Poland.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 09:52:01 »

Martin vs. Wiggins at the TT World Champs later this month should be interesting.

Martin is obviously back to form after a poor TdF and Wiggins stuffed (an admittedly poor) Cancellara by nearly a minute in the TT stage at the Tour of Poland.

Cancellara has looked good so far in the Vuelta, doing massive turns on the front up the climbs.  I've no idea what the course is like for the Worlds, and whether it might suit some more than others.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 11:41:55 »

Cancellara has looked good so far in the Vuelta, doing massive turns on the front up the climbs.  I've no idea what the course is like for the Worlds, and whether it might suit some more than others.

Pan flat.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 11:56:41 »

Prime for Martin to get that 58T chainring on again.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 12:01:02 »

I'd be more worried about the 361...you can avoid that by going through Roundway...but it's a steep bugger hill out of there. Only done the the track up to the golf club from there...but the tracks to Heddington and Stockley might provide an alternative.

Off road I'd go stockley - heddington - over roundway.

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 12:01:53 »

Prime for Martin to get that 58T chainring on again.

58T - ouch, my knees hurt at the thought
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 13:37:39 »

Off road I'd go stockley - heddington - over roundway.

There's about a 500m gap between metalled surfaces back of Oliver's Castle...there are footpaths connecting so may be OK. A bit circuitous for a daily commute, but a pleasant route get into/out of Devizes along Kand A towpath
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2013, 18:29:49 »

Well, well. The Worlds are definitely going to be interesting after today's showing from Cancellara.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2013, 22:23:14 »

How come ?
I work in the brewing industry and we use in in some dispense systems

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2013, 22:27:13 »

I'd like to think so....think people staring at my package as I wonder about the office might get a bit uncomfortable though. Although a few of my jerseys are probably nicer than my shirts.

With the co2 pumps, they're great, but don't rely on them as a sole means of pumping up tyres. In my experience, and I think it's backed up scientifically, tyres don't stay at a high pressure for long compared to your standard air. Something to do with the pure co2 being 'thinner', so can leak through tiny gaps easier or quicker than standard air.

I've noticed my tyres going a little soft after pumping them up with a co2 canister to 100psi or so, within a couple of days. Using a standard track pump, I haven't needed to give my tyres a pump for about 2 weeks, after about 75 miles a week.

Take your word for it but it doesn't make sense.

CO2 is a far bigger molecule than N2 (which makes up most of air), so air should leak more readily.
I work in packaging, and if you are packing a nitro beer like Guinness in a plastic bottle, you lose pack pressure quicker than if you do if it's a CO2 beer like lager

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 18:54:48 »

To all you cycling fans, this is what I've been killing myself for over the last few months.

http://www.wasdale-tri.co.uk/bike.html

I'm not doing the whole thing (both knees no good, can't run) but 3 of us have entered as a relay team, I'm doing the bike

But, before you belittle me, I am doing the hardest bit of the "Hardest half ironman in the World"

Take a look at the Flythrough on the website.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 18:57:00 »

Two passes up Wrynose and Harknott. Good luck, you'll be dead at the end!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: