Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 741101 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 13:00:19 »

Here you go:

http://app.strava.com/activities/42933060

I'm fucking ruined now. That's the longest I've ridden for a few months and the ground was pretty hard going in places. Don't think I'll be able to walk tomorrow.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 14:41:05 »

Excellent - cheers Sam. Interesting to see where the old railway line goes. What is the surface like - could it be done on a road bike ?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 14:56:03 »

90% could be done on a road bike. Some parts of the path are still quite muddy though and you'd have a bit of a job on skinny tyres.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 15:24:17 »

I finally put my hoops on my road bike this morning with  the intention of going out until I sensed it was probably be the safer to build furniture as requested.  Angry
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 16:17:20 »

Sam - do you have the ability to post the route online ? (just being interested for when I'm up next ?)

A decent off road alternative to Marlborough, is to follow the cycle path from Coate to Chiseldon, cross the 345 and head along to to the foot of Liddington Hill.  Straight on up, probably best to wheel or carry bike...cross the hill fort to footpathwhich is then quite cycleable, and you reach the Ridgeway Path. This leads on round to Bytham Farm...a place I've always liked since a kid, its that bit of Roman Road you see going straight up the hill, by the golf course, as the 345 veers off  to Ogbourne. Follow Roman Road to Mynal and then into Marlborough or slightly shorter take the lane by Rabley Wood. Return can be out of Marlborough towards Rockley turn off at Old Eagle and head on up past 4 Mile Clump to Barbury then back as Sam suggests down Ladder Lane. That's knackered me thinking about it. Last time I did something similar was about 3 years ago when my lad was training for John o'Groats to Land's End....fucked if I could do it now.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, March 3, 2013, 16:36:08 »

Sounds epic Reg. Must give it a go.

Where I live, by the south downs, you can just follow bridle paths for miles and get well and truly lost
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Friday, March 8, 2013, 18:55:56 »

i've just trying to replace my bike's brakes. it turns out they're quite a pickle!
i'll be trying to take my bike to hargroves tomorrow for a service

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Friday, March 8, 2013, 19:26:51 »

What brakes are they and what's wrong with them?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Friday, March 8, 2013, 19:27:29 »

What are they, cantilever? Should just be a case of unscrewing the block each side and putting the new one in.

Or have you figured that and you're just having trouble with the cable tension and getting the blocks aligned to the wheel?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Friday, March 8, 2013, 20:29:54 »

Put a bit of cardboard between each brake block and the rim. Pull the cable tight so the brake blocks are pulled against the cardboard/rim.  Remove cardboard and align with grub screw.

On the subject of cardboard- handy stuff for cleaning between chain rings and cassettes.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Friday, March 8, 2013, 23:24:54 »

Or have you figured that and you're just having trouble with the cable tension and getting the blocks aligned to the wheel?

i got as far as trying to sort out the tension and the gravity of me making a hash of my brakes hit me ie-  don't fuck 'em up, you need them

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, March 9, 2013, 17:02:06 »

Been out for a quick jaunt on the new Fulcrum Racing 3s with Conte GP4000s (changed from Bontager Race Lites with gatorskins)

I expected a lot from them and at first I was a bit "meh" but then I realised that I have 3 months of lost fitness and was cycling into a bit of a headwind. It was when I reached some hills that I started to notice the difference, climbing was easier, out of the saddle I picked up pace easier and lost it slower. Downhill was noticeably quicker too. When I turned with the wind behind I really noticed that I was really motoring along. If you want me to quantify I reckon I was about 1 mph faster than last year when I was fitter and regularly doing 100km rides. So if I regain that fitness I should really benefit.

They are stiffer, lighter and quicker with a nice metallic free hub sound.  A bit firmer on the ride but not that noticeable.

Some geeky stats :  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/282174034

« Last Edit: Saturday, March 9, 2013, 17:04:00 by Bewster » Logged
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 13:17:43 »

Thinking of getting one of these

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Hardrock%20Sport%20Disc%20Black%20Red%20-%202013%20Road%20Bike#.UTyG9RyeNIl

any good? anything better for the money out there?

/
W56196272
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 13:29:22 »

Not bad for that money. Front forks aren't the best, but if you're not going to be throwing it around trail centres it won't make much difference.

If you're not too fussed about getting a 29er, for an extra £50 you could get this: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

Better forks, better shifters and better brakes.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:28:30 »

Sam - I'm looking at upgrading my MTB fork - would you recommend RockShox - or any other brand. I don't want to go expensive.

cheers.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: