Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737350 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:16:01 »

Think I'll need heated grips with the way the weather's going lately.

And as for hills, going down them is fun. Only proper mentalists enjoy going up them, like those that go to France just to cycle the Alpe d'Huez.

The secret with riding in cold weather is to dress for the middle and end of the ride. If you dress to be comfortable at the start of the ride, you will be swaeting buckets after the first 10 minutes. That and layers. Arm warmers can be removed when you get toastie and put back on if a chill hits, as can leg or knee warmers.

With regard to hills- hills are good m'kay? The challenge of having a hill that you can't get up in one go or without dismounting and pushing is great. Keep revisiting until you beat the bastard, Plus the hooning down the other side at warp factor 8. My personal best is 51.8 mph  Too Cool It certainly gets the juices flowing. It helps having the right bike. Good gearing and  a compact chainset can be the difference between riding to the top or pushing.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:46:15 »

I've only encountered one hill where I've gotten off to push; on the cycle path from Coate up to Chiseldon. One part of the hill hits a gradient of about 18%. It's only a 40 to 50m section, but it's right at the end of a mile long uphill.

Great fun going down it the other way though. Encountered a couple of dog walkers as I reached the bottom a couple of weeks ago; as they always seemingly do they stepped into my path rather than out of the way. Cue screech of brakes and plenty of skidding. Managed to keep the bike right side up, but the bloke shit himself and completely stacked it.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:11:19 »

I have a number of hills within a few miles of me where there are gradients of 20% or steeper, though only for short stretches- 100- 200 meters or so. Most I can deal with but two hills in particular currently defeat me.

One has a slight easing of the gradient by which time my heart rate is up to about 189bpm (50 year old duffer me) so I am really breathing out of my arse. That one usually has me stopping for a minute to get the heart rate down.

The other is the local clubs winter hill climb and I have had to get off and push the last 100 meters of the steep bit up till the end of this summer.

I recently took delivery of a new bike a Wilier Izoard XP Ultegra which is a) stiffer than my Cannondale, b) has better wheels than my 'Dale and c) has a compact chainset.

Roll on the spring when the hillclimb route will be drier and traction will be better. I have already had the back wheel spinning out under load when climbing the easier hills round my manor Cheesy
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:35:29 »

My chain has started jumping between gears, any tips?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:37:45 »

First you should try re-indexing the gears, if that doesn't work then you might want to replace the chain and cassette.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:39:42 »

I've only encountered one hill where I've gotten off to push; on the cycle path from Coate up to Chiseldon. One part of the hill hits a gradient of about 18%. It's only a 40 to 50m section, but it's right at the end of a mile long uphill.
Whereabouts is that Samdy? Is that at the Chissy end?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:39:48 »

And before you ask 4D:

Front derailleur: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

Rear derailleur: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:40:26 »

Whereabouts is that Samdy? Is that at the Chissy end?

Yep. The last bit right before you get into Chiseldon.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:42:21 by Samdy Gray » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:42:13 »

Thanks Smiley

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:42:31 »

My chain has started jumping between gears, any tips?

Degunk rear-derailleur/cables and lubricate. Check derailleur alignement (do not adjust the H and L endstop screws on it) and check for damage, check chain tension and for wear.

Its probably a matter of adjusting the cable tension on the barrel adjuster on the hear lever, but only try using 1/4 of a turn increments..

Best take it to a shop Wink

edit: oops, seem to have been a bit slow typing that, 5 replies....
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:50:18 »

Sometimes it can be as simple as a sticky link or two. Run the pedals slowly backwards, keeping an eye on the chain as it rolls over the rear sprockets. If you have sticky links, they will often sit proud of the sprocket. If there are sticky links, manipulate them a bit to work the gunk out that is causing the stickiness. Sometimes a little side to side pressure against the plates will help.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:53:14 »

I blame the crappy weather. There doesn't appear to be any damage, I will look to lubricate and check as recommended  Wink
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 12:03:47 »

How long have the chain and cassette been on the bike? How many miles done on them?

Wear in a chain is not really noticeable to the naked eye and worn sprockets can be hard to spot.

Another good resource for help on all things cycling is to be found amongst the pages of the late, great Sheldon Brown's web site.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 12:15:46 »

How long have the chain and cassette been on the bike? How many miles done on them?

Wear in a chain is not really noticeable to the naked eye and worn sprockets can be hard to spot.

Another good resource for help on all things cycling is to be found amongst the pages of the late, great Sheldon Brown's web site.

Other thing is if the bike is newish it may just be the cables have stretched and need adjusting.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 12:22:08 »

I recently took delivery of a new bike a Wilier Izoard XP Ultegra which is a) stiffer than my Cannondale, b) has better wheels than my 'Dale and c) has a compact chainset.

Nice looking bike - very well spec'd - where did you get it from ?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: