Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737389 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 09:12:46 »

My reply remains but has a whole new meaning  Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:07:18 »

It was his birthday yesterday.

Belated Happy Birthday bennett.

How's the bike.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:48:44 »

Can anyone recommend some decent bike lights, now the days ate getting shorter?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:53:32 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000LM-Cree-XML-T6-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Zoomable-Lights-7-LED-Rear-Light-/251091020942?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item3a7630ec8e

Get two or three. One mounted on your helmet and another (or two) on the bars.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:55:59 »

Ta. Bit of a rat run on my way home. I don't mind looking like the space ship from close encounters  Smiley
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:06:34 »

Most of my loops are 90% off-road with no lighting so I'll be getting some myself soon so I can carry on with my evening rides during the winter.

Can be had for cheaper if you import from HK/China through dealextreme, but probably worth the bit extra to buy from a UK seller.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:14:29 »

Belated Happy Birthday bennett.

How's the bike.
muchos grassyass Batch

tis wonderful thanks. i need to buy some new lights (decathlon put lights on all bikes, but they're "not much cop") and some longsleeved breathable, warm tops and gloves, as my poor hands do get v cold.

i'm also tempted to get some clip pedals and shoes, but don't fancy not falling over when i forget to take my feet out.

but as far as the bike goes - really good ta. did you buy one in the end Mr B?
samdy, are you planning to get one?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:17:37 »

No not bought one yet, still umming and aaahing about whether I'd use a road bike. Quite like going down the cycle path from Chippenham to Calne and back in a lunch hour, but that's mountain bike terrain.

Meh, I'll probably crumble and get it eventually.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:23:45 »

samdy, are you planning to get one?

I'm leaning that way. The plan was to get down to a goal weight/level of fitness and then reward myself with a new full susser MTB. But lately I've been looking at more and more road bikes. I think the rule of n+1 definitely applies here.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:29:39 »

if either of you gents fancy having a go on my bike (what a disgusting start to a sentence) then you're welcome.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:32:42 »

if either of you gents fancy having a go on my bike (what a disgusting start to a sentence) then you're welcome.
does your missus know you're pimping her out on the TEF?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 20:35:54 »

does your missus know you're pimping her out on the TEF?
booo i thought i'd pre-empted this sort of thing by pointing out the disgusting nature of the sentence
in answer to your question - no

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 10:24:43 »

I need to get some decent bike waterproof clothes, I currently look like I am carrying a family tent on my back when the wind picks up. Something more figure hugging and aerodynamic (not Lycra tight though!).
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 10:45:03 »

I need to get some decent bike waterproof clothes, I currently look like I am carrying a family tent on my back when the wind picks up. Something more figure hugging and aerodynamic (not Lycra tight though!).

Best thing here is to get a quality cycling jacket - they make sure the tent carrying look doesn't happen - look at endura/altura for well priced stuff.  Then get yourself some cheapo troosers from somewhere.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:26:24 »

Aaah now with weight it seems to me you pay a lot to lose a little. Particularly on road bikes. For example the £300 roadster on here is 10Kg, which the lycra clad at work would class as heavy, they have 7-8Kg £1K+ bikes. Though obviously there is a lot more in the price differential than just being 'lighter'.

I have a fair few spare Kg to lose. The way I see it, it would make a hell of a lot more difference for me to do that than shave 3Kg off the bike!

The weight difference is between 2- 2 1/2 bags of sugar. That is a big difference in weight to haul up a hill. I know that loosing lard does the same thing but, from experience, riding a bike that is 2 1/2 kg lighter up a hill is a lot easier than riding a bike up a hill when I am 2 1/2 kg lighter (I live in Buckinghamshire, in Marlow and we have some fecking steep hills near where I live and ride on a daily basis).

The difference in price also has an impact on the quality of the wheels and frame- the most important parts of the bike when it comes to quality IMHO. More outlay means a stiffer frame so power transfer is more effective- flex around the bottom bracket can loose you a lot of power when going hard at it. Stiffer and lighter wheels also save effort. My 'Sunday best' bike, a 2004 Cannondale R800 road bike came with Gipemme Grecal parade wheels, very nice looking wheels but, the rear wheel has only got 16 spokes and, when out of the saddle, pedalling hard up hill, the wheels flexes and rubs on the brakes. When I can afford it, the wheels are going to be changed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: