Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737715 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 08:14:35 »

I have a Kona MB and recently it has developed a slight "clunk" in the right pedal. It's a very slight slip, does anyone know if there is a torque setting for pedals to the crank or do i just tighten it as much as possible? Or, is it likely to be a bearing problem?

It is probably your bottom bracket (the bearings inside your crank). This can easily be replaced for around £30 I would imagine. If you think it might be your pedal then buy some GT85 from Halfords and coat everything around the pedal and crank area.  Alternatively the chain could be worn which would lead to a slip or your chain ring could be damaged.

A lot depends on the amount of miles you have done and how well you have looked after it so try cleaning it up, along with the chain and chain rings to get rid of any muck and grime. Then coat all with GT85 and re-oil the chain.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 08:17:19 »

Cheers.

I think it all needs oiling tbh, It was sat in the garage for a couple of years but now gets daily use. Can I ask, what is GT85?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 08:22:17 »

A penetrating lube, ooh eeer.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 08:31:14 »

Cheers.
I think it all needs oiling tbh, It was sat in the garage for a couple of years but now gets daily use. Can I ask, what is GT85?

Its a better form of WD 40 as it doesn't evaporate. When I clean my bike I spray the whole bike with it and then wipe it down. It displaces water a prevent things rusting and seizing up, gives it a nice shine and stops muck from sticking.  Note, wipe brakes and rims with white spirit after  Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:09:10 »

I really don't get the appeal of expensive bikes. As long as it's got a comfy seat, mud guards, lots of gears and a bell what more do you need? Does the extra money really make that much difference if you're a fat fucker who rides a mile or two to work everyday?

For a lot, a bike is a boy's toy, often not ridden very much, but good to be able to swap stories about spec etc. It will usually sit in the shed.

I've never owned an expensive bike, mainly because it will just get nicked. My first bike on which I did many miles, was a sit up and beg with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer....I then upgraded to a Raleigh which was going cheap at Mitchells, as it built for sale in Europe and had certain differences to a British bike....Raleigh couldn't shift them.  It was an ace touring bike and never let me down.  I then got a Raleigh mountain bike, bottom of the range...but more than able to deal with the many tracks and byways around Wiltshire...still got it.

My latest steed is a Dawes hybrid, my lad did the end to end about 3 years ago now, he'd bought this through the internet, and decided when done that he'd had enough of cycling and gave it to me.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:13:08 »

Not owned a penny farthing then reg?  Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:20:44 »

Not owned a penny farthing then reg?  Wink

An ordinary...would be good.  I have given more than a passing glance to these bikes that have an electric motor....don't know anyone who has one or if they're reliable value for money etc.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:31:29 »

For a lot, a bike is a boy's toy, often not ridden very much, but good to be able to swap stories about spec etc. It will usually sit in the shed.

I've never owned an expensive bike, mainly because it will just get nicked. My first bike on which I did many miles, was a sit up and beg with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer....I then upgraded to a Raleigh which was going cheap at Mitchells, as it built for sale in Europe and had certain differences to a British bike....Raleigh couldn't shift them.  It was an ace touring bike and never let me down.  I then got a Raleigh mountain bike, bottom of the range...but more than able to deal with the many tracks and byways around Wiltshire...still got it.

My latest steed is a Dawes hybrid, my lad did the end to end about 3 years ago now, he'd bought this through the internet, and decided when done that he'd had enough of cycling and gave it to me.

I have a strange feeling that my dad used to buy our bikes from Mitchells back in the day!

Loved the smell of the shop.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:59:12 »

I think I need some bike clips because my work trousers tend to flap around a bit. Do any of you guys recommend any? Will i be better off tucking the trousers into my sock. I'm gonna look a plum whatever.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:02:18 »

I think I need some bike clips because my work trousers tend to flap around a bit. Do any of you guys recommend any? Will i be better off tucking the trousers into my sock. I'm gonna look a plum whatever.

Wear Shorts
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:03:22 »

Wear Shorts

But not lycra shorts.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:05:01 »

But not lycra shorts.

Not going to work maybe - a bit MAMIL
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:05:06 »

Not an option, I think the sock option is looking good (so to speak Sad )
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:05:49 »

lacky band ??
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:08:32 »

possibly, or wellies!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 181   Go Up