Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Irish love fest on BBC  (Read 6145 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:28:27 »

What is so noticeable is the comparison with the athletes from all the various sports and the vacuous morons (in the main) who represent the game of football week in week out.

Think the criticism of the football team has been a bit unfair, the tournament has been run at an arms length from the rest of the Olympics and they haven't really had the same chance to get involved as everyone else has had.
Coca Fola

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:30:31 »

Spain's national anthem is an instrumental, so they'll just be talking to themselves.
Bosnia's anthem is instrumental and very controversial. They changed the old one because it was too "pro Bosniak" so most people just sing the old one over the current one.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:36:44 »

I've read a lot of stuff on line from people comparing the olympic squad with footballers. It's a rubbish argument. One of my mates posted words to the effect of 'remember Euro'12 when a bunch of over paid footballers failed to deliver, perhaps they should watch the olympics....' blah blah blah. The truth is if england had won another one or two games the country would have gone mental about Euro 12. So all these people really are saying is, if you're successful we'll be proud of you.

If Great Britain had only won a couple of golds people wouldn't be banging on about how proud they are. Success means support.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:54:16 »

I've read a lot of stuff on line from people comparing the olympic squad with footballers. It's a rubbish argument. One of my mates posted words to the effect of 'remember Euro'12 when a bunch of over paid footballers failed to deliver, perhaps they should watch the olympics....' blah blah blah. The truth is if england had won another one or two games the country would have gone mental about Euro 12. So all these people really are saying is, if you're successful we'll be proud of you.

If Great Britain had only won a couple of golds people wouldn't be banging on about how proud they are. Success means support.

Exactly, 1996...
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:56:38 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:55:16 »

'if england had won another one or two games the country would have gone mental about Euro 12'

Success isn't always about finishing first.
kerry red

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:28:20 »

Think the criticism of the football team has been a bit unfair, the tournament has been run at an arms length from the rest of the Olympics and they haven't really had the same chance to get involved as everyone else has had.

I was referring to footballers in general not particularly the GB team at the Olympics
kerry red

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:33:19 »

I think you have missed the point. The athletes, whether winners or not, have shown a level of dedication that is completely alien to the majority of self-centred footballers - and not just the PL players.

They are, in the main, a load of Billy Big Bollocks and it is this attitude I think (and hope) PdC is trying to change at Swindon.
Barry Scott

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:57:56 »

I quite like national anthems, but not ours... Italy have my favourite, and the Germans.

Funny. I'm the same, they're also the only 2 I know (not the words) other than ours. (I spent years watching Michael Schumacher and Ferrari in case anyone was wondering how I know them.)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:03:38 »

I think you have missed the point. The athletes, whether winners or not, have shown a level of dedication that is completely alien to the majority of self-centred footballers - and not just the PL players.

They are, in the main, a load of Billy Big Bollocks and it is this attitude I think (and hope) PdC is trying to change at Swindon.

My point is no one would give a **** about whether players are 'billy big bollocks' or not if they achieve a perceived success, semi's or better,m play offs or better. If people cared that much they wouldn't watch football.

In mid September the majority of sports viewers will be glued to their tv's watching premier league matches and world cup qualifiers.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:06:15 »

Funny. I'm the same, they're also the only 2 I know (not the words) other than ours. (I spent years watching Michael Schumacher and Ferrari in case anyone was wondering how I know them.)

Haha, that is probably how they have become ingrained in my head since childhood now i think about it!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:10:30 »

You don't know the tune of La Marseillaise?
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:13:57 by janaage » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:17:29 »

96 was a fantastic tournament.

Psycho's penalty
That goal by Gazza.

When people go babbling on about how too much is expected from the England national team I always think back to 96 because, we didn't succeed, yet most people were dead happy with the effort and pride shown.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:25:20 »

Agree to a certain extent FH, but there is a bit of bollocks there. Okay England didn't win, but they did succeed, they did what was acceptable and did it in an positive fashion (okay ignoring the fact the Spaniards had a perfectly good golden goal in the quarters wrongly ruled out for offside). Euro 96 may not have been won, but it was still a success.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:27:28 »

Psycho's penalty
That goal by Gazza.

Conceeding to the Dutch to make sure Scotland's proud record didn't get a blemish Wink
adje

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:29:30 »

Perhaps people dont sing it because the words are fucking rubbish!I also agree with jan aage-come September most people wont be able to name at least 69% of our medal winners.Shame,but true I think

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: