Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Irish love fest on BBC  (Read 6144 times)
Coca Fola

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:57:41 »

Did Chris Hoy sing it for one of his medals?
kerry red

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:59:10 »

Too busy blubbing
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:00:23 »

On another note, who gives a fuck about national anthems.

They are stupid, and pointless. And expecting sports people to sing them - either at the start of a sporting event when they should really be focussing their entire efforts on the task at hand, or at the end when they should be revelling in the moment they will rarely get again - is beyond comprehension.

Things get better but they never get good
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:07:30 »

i like national anthems, as long as it's that one about our queen n that

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
kerry red

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:08:07 »

I agree - the vast majority of them are dirges (including GSTQ - which is at least short), but if you're representing your country to the world I do like to see the medal winners at least have a go at lip synching
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:10:11 »

I agree - the vast majority of them are dirges (including GSTQ - which is at least short), but if you're representing your country to the world I do like to see the medal winners at least have a go at lip synching

Spain's national anthem is an instrumental, so they'll just be talking to themselves.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:10:18 »

How many non-English medal winners have you seen sing along with the National Anthem when on the podium?

Not sure you can use singing the national anthem as any kind of yard stick. No one really gives a fuck about that.

I'd totally agree with Reg though as I've been thinking the same myself. For me the Olympics has really unified everyone under the GB banner. No one has been talking about the individual nations, it's all been about Great Britain. Even Murray has been joining in. Think it's due in part to the whole Team GB branding. I know some don't like it but it gives you a team to get behind which is a lot more natural for people to get in to.

Will be interesting to see the opinion polls on Scottish independence once the Olympics have finished.

Don't see a problem with the Irish thing. They were saying on the BBC text commentary that the crowd at the boxing was as much behind the Irish girl as they were the ours, which suggests a lot of people would agree. If GB aren't competing then I'll be behind Ireland, then Australia, then Holland and then anyone bar France and Germany. Doesn't everyone follow other countries with an order of preference list?
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:12:02 by jonny72 » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:13:44 »

Yes, but you're seeing this as an Englishman (I presume) living in England - and the majority of them (us) do feel British.

I do not think that the Welsh or Scots think the same
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:14:09 »

Doesn't everyone follow other countries with an order of preference list?

No...

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:17:52 »

I quite like national anthems, but not ours... Italy have my favourite, and the Germans.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:18:09 »

Yes, but you're seeing this as an Englishman (I presume) living in England - and the majority of them (us) do feel British.

I do not think that the Welsh or Scots think the same

I've always hated the British label and the lack of an English identity.

I'm 100% British at present though.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:19:55 »

You only got to look at two world wars to see how strong the union is.....the 400 odd soldiers who have sadly died in Afghanistan are from all the union also.

As for sport,it has shown in these games how all cultures and nationalities bring the world together for a while.

The US/Saudi girl yesterday taking part shows how important the games are....as for the anthems i would sing like fuck if it was me.
kerry red

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:24:21 »

What is so noticeable is the comparison with the athletes from all the various sports and the vacuous morons (in the main) who represent the game of football week in week out.

Dedication to the cause is what I think PdC is aiming for for STFC - and he is, of course, right
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:25:07 »

I quite like national anthems, but not ours... Italy have my favourite, and the Germans.

Russia for me...
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:28:10 »

I've been thinking that this Olympics has been a great thing for the Union....

Really? I'm not sure a few gold medals at a sporting event will have that much to do with the vote outcome. 

As for Andy Murray, I don't think you could call him mouthing a couple of words to gstq as singing along to it. Think that was just clever PR.

Don't get why the non-english get slated for not singing with the anthem, yet nothing's mentioned when an english person decides not to sing it, Ennis for example.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: