Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Confirm Transfer of Collins, Roberts and Williams  (Read 9111 times)
kerry red

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:33:44 »

And what were Swansea getting at the Vetch?

Obviously the development of the CG is crucial, but I see no reason why Swindon cant be mentioned in the same way as those clubs mentioned.

And add to that, Wigan
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:37:29 »

Reading, Swansea, Norwich and Southampton did it with a bigger fan base and much better infrastructures.

Only Norwich and Southampton have traditionally large fanbases, though.  In both Reading's and Swansea's cases, their attendances were boosted enormously by their respective ground moves.  In both cases, they were getting smaller crowds than we were prior to this.

Swansea's case is particularly striking, as this graph of their average home attendances shows.  Prior to the move to the Liberty Stadium, they were consistently averaging 4,000 to 5,000 at home.  After the move, it trebled to 15,000.  Promotion to the Premiership has now added another 5,000.  Their fanbase is a very recent phenomenon.

Swansea Town/City Average Attendances

[url width=499 height=291]http://scfcheritage.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/graph.jpg?w=500&h=291[/url]

Edit:  For some reason, the graph is back to front, with more recent years on the left hand side.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:40:12 by Ardiles » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:41:55 »

Saints and Norwich were getting 20,000+ in league 1 every game.  We aren't comparable to these teams in the slightest, regardless of what the future might bring in terms of our stadium.

Reading as a town has grown a lot in the last 20 years in terms of population which has a factor on the element of their plastic fanbase.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:43:22 »

That kind of shows what I meant, It would cost millions to get into that position, Im not saying this club doesn't have the potential to get those attendance size, seeing were nearly doubling Swansea's attendance in League Two, it's just were not there yet and we shouldn't be expecting Premier League anytime soon until we see some serious investment.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:47:33 by Swindon Please Win » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:47:11 »

But we've seen serious investment (appropriate to the League we are in) - last season and now this.

If we had the 25,000 stadium we would be no different to either Reading or Swansea if we were in the PL.

And as for the growth of Reading as a town, I would imagine Swindon has more than mirrored that.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:48:37 »

I'd be happy to finish top 10 next season... the Championship is the next realistic target within the next 2 years I reckon.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:50:25 »

And as for the growth of Reading as a town, I would imagine Swindon has more than mirrored that.

Quite possibly, as a lifelong out of towner I don't really have a clue about Swindon as a town itself.  
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:52:07 by Abrahammer » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:52:46 »

I would agree with that.  Reading may have grown to a degree, but look at a map and it is still basically the same shape that it was 20 years ago - where as Swindon has moved north.  Reading's success is down to a ground move and very astute financial/commercial management.  Their potential fanbase was always there - including a very wealthy hinterland.  It just remained untapped for a very long time.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:54:34 »

Like I said though, It would cost millions to get our stadium to 25k, and we would have to invest in the squad aswell, which with plenty of teams such as Blackpool still recieving parachute payments we cannot compete with the clubs that size in trying to bring in top top players for that league.

Brighton are a great example of how well things could go, they're attendances were poor before they moved to the Amex and they ended it up selling around 15k season tickets because they got promoted and moved stadiums, you can see a big growth in a short space of time and now you could say Brighton wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League especially seeing they've sold 23k season tickets so far.

It wouldn't be quick and cheap at Swindon. The point im trying to make.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 12:58:40 »

We should be aiming for a top 6 finish minimum, with these new signings I can see us possibly sneaking into the top two. the team will going into the new season on a high and they'll have the belief that we can get back to back promotions, we wouldn't be the first team to do this.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:04:01 »

I'll be honest here and you can flame me if you like...

I would fucking hate Swindon to be in the Premiership - all we would be there for is to make up the numbers.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:06:31 »

I'll be honest here and you can flame me if you like...

I would fucking hate Swindon to be in the Premiership - all we would be there for is to make up the numbers.

I agree with you mate, although it would be nice to see the town play with top teams like man u, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:08:45 »

I agree with you mate, although it would be nice to see the town play with top teams like man u, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea.

To be fair games with teams like that should be in the cups and not the league.
more excitement imo

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:11:54 »

I think last season showed the league you are in is far from the most important thing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:12:18 »

Me  too. The novelty value would be overtaken by the tedium of everything the Prem brings with it though.

Begs the question what is the level that most fans would be happy with? To be honest we'd struggle at sustainable championship football on current numbers. But I guess the aim is to address this over time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: