Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Town Game  (Read 253361 times)
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 12:14:19 »

October 17th 1992 Swindon town 5-1 Notts County 
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 13:01:17 »

Not mine but the first game I took my son to.

April 1999, Home to Grimsby.

Town won 2-0 with goals early in each half.

Son was impressed by the fact we had two goals (we only had one in the garden) and kept asking which one was Alan Shearer Smiley
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 15:50:11 »

April 14th 1973.  Swindon 0-0 Millwall

Not a great time to start watching the town.  Grin
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 16:44:53 »

October 17th 1992 Swindon town 5-1 Notts County 

Pretty sure I was at that game in the Townend. Kevin Horlock scored a screamer IIRC.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 17:34:14 »

Pretty sure I was at that game in the Townend. Kevin Horlock scored a screamer IIRC.
Yep was a cracking game and goal, Ling, Mitchell, Summerbee, Moncur, Horlock all scored, we had a super side back then.

From 1 min 30 secs in...

I was the steward to the left of the Town End goal, on the front gate and had a cracking view of several goals Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 18:14:59 »

I was the steward to the left of the Town End goal, on the front gate and had a cracking view of several goals Wink

"Go get a proper job"  Smiley

I bet that the steward training was pretty minimal in those days.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 18:37:21 »

"Go get a proper job"  Smiley

I bet that the steward training was pretty minimal in those days.
I worked at the club for 3 years but then left to get a "proper job" Wink but stayed on as a steward from 88 till 99, the training was a 3 hour session on a summer Sunday morning hosted by the police that basically told you what you could do and how to take down someone attacking you with a bottle. It was good fun!

I already had a part time job as a night club bouncer at the Brunel Rooms at the time so knew what to do so it was piss easy.

I got paid £25 per game and at that time the price of a ticket was £10 and I would have gone anyway so I was £35 up per game!

The only times I ever felt threatened by any away fan (I am a pretty big lump and most away fans never argued with me anyway) was Cardiff in the FA cup in 95 and against Millwall in the LC QF of 95.

Millwall brought "spotters" who were supposed to go in and eject the known trouble and all they did was "hes banned" "hes a trouble maker" and they did nothing, the Police told us not to go into the crowd and eject any fans unless we had backup from them....we had no backup! and there was a lot of trouble inside the ground, horrible thugs both those sets of fans.

Oxford, Shitty and Rovers fans were like choirboys in comparison.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 00:34:09 »

Good insight there PV, thanks.

Remember both games well.
Cardiff was a nasty one, particularly after the game.

Also recall the stewards legging it along with everyone else after an early season Leicester pitch invasion late 80's / early 90's.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 08:26:04 »

Also recall the stewards legging it along with everyone else after an early season Leicester pitch invasion late 80's / early 90's.
I don't remember that at all, could have been one game I missed, but doesn't ring a bell at all.

The only pitch invasion I do remember was Lids fans invading the pitch at the end of the Premier season and running towards the Town End where I was steward but they were actually non threatening and pretty well behaved set of fans.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 09:25:11 »

The Leicester one was when a steward got clumped, a few of em got on the pitch and didn't do much. It was 0-0 with a 13k crowd, think it was first game of the season in 92?
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:08:58 »

It was the first game of the 91-92 season, it finished 0-0, i remember them coming on to the pitch.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:17:11 »

Yeah I definately missed that one! sounds like a good job, probably on holiday at the time being August.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:26:16 »

Excuse me WB, not all of us legged it.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:34:43 »

My first game was a cup match against Pompey too,but it was in 1977 and we won 4-3.

My old man hated football so a neighbour took me. We stood in the Southside terrace,and I went down the front with all the other nippers,I would've been 7 at the time.
I'll never forget that feeling walking into the ground under floodlights,and the smell of frying onions and pipe smoke.

The thing that caught my attention the most was the chant of "Sa - win -don",which my family,who don't hail  from Swindon, found hilarious when I told them later.
My mum still takes the piss today,asking how 'Sa win don' got on

That,and the amount of violence!
I couldn't believe the sight  grown men beating the shit out of each other on the pitch just yards in front of me,as Elkie Brooks' "Pearl's a singer" gently played over the Tannoy system.
One bloke even leap frogged over me to get on the pitch and smack someone.
Yet everything around me seemed to carry on as normal,like no one had noticed the ongoing spectacle.
The  Announcer wittered  away and old boys checked their programmes like nothing had happened.

One Swindon fan that was dragged off by Police, was black,and I remember being shocked at the amount of racist abuse he received.
Even the guy I was with shouted "Get back to the jungle".

As for the game itself,all I remember is Chris Kamara scored and became my instant favourite player.
And I had change out of 50p!

And I've been suffering ever since..

Cheesy

I think I remember that game.  It was shortly after Kammy had signed for us from Pompey.  On the pitch it was a helluva battle and Kammy was everywhere, especially with his sliding tackles.  Racist chanting was of course, sadly, common in those days.  I recall having been especially shocked to hear monkey chants directed at Kammy that night by the Pompey fans as I had thought he would be one of those players they still loved.  I have always hated all racist behaviour but, looking back, it is a strange sensitivity that I should have felt Kammy somehow had something about him that made it shocking that HE should be abused. Regardless, Kammy became a new hero for me too right up to the time he ended his Swindon career (and acquired a criminal conviction) by breaking the nose of Jim Melrose, the Shrew who had been racially abusing him.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:39:25 »

I think I remember that game.  It was shortly after Kammy had signed for us from Pompey.  On the pitch it was a helluva battle and Kammy was everywhere, especially with his sliding tackles.  Racist chanting was of course, sadly, common in those days.  I recall having been especially shocked to hear monkey chants directed at Kammy that night by the Pompey fans as I had thought he would be one of those players they still loved.  I have always hated all racist behaviour but, looking back, it is a strange sensitivity that I should have felt Kammy somehow had something about him that made it shocking that HE should be abused. Regardless, Kammy became a new hero for me too right up to the time he ended his Swindon career (and acquired a criminal conviction) by breaking the nose of Jim Melrose, the Shrew who had been racially abusing him.

Jaw, I think.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: