Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Curly Withers  (Read 11711 times)
mozalini

Ignore
« on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 18:57:40 »

I have found PDC's treatment of Curly the tea man to be truly touching.  It is well documented that he let him sit on the bench at Wembley to recognise his devotion to duty over 30 years.  I remember seeing Paolo standing with his arm around Curly as Chesterfield picked up the trophy.  He appeared to be telling him something along the lines of "we will win the league to make up for this".

A little over a month later and I saw Paolo again with his arm around Curly, this time full of smiles. Job done.

I find the obvious affection that Paolo has for Curly to be very emotional.  To me, Paolo is showing his love for the history of STFC and its fans.  He has shown his understanding of what it means for the fans to experience success and failure and how the fabric of the club will outlive the short term STFC careers of our players and management.  In this way he is showing that  he already deeply feels part of the club and he won't leave us lightly.  I don't mind admitting that the photo's showing the sheer joy on Curly's face has brought a tear to my eye. I have never been prouder to support Swindon Town FC than I am right now.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:01:23 »

Which pictures are curly in for those of us that dont know what he looks like
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:02:15 »

Which pictures are curly in for those of us that dont know what he looks like

[url width=900 height=675]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/RWDP1983/DSCF0907.jpg[/url]
ScillyRed

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:03:10 »

Clap Clap Clap
mozalini

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:05:12 »

Thank you Costanza for the photo.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:08:43 »

I did wonder who the chap was fair play to PDC for including him
woolster

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:12:26 »

when i saw this live at the CG yesterday i thought it was j wray with a few drinks inside him Oops
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:30:22 »

I bet Curly could tell a few stories about previous managers and players.

Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:38:37 »

This is another reason why DiCanio has become so beloved in his short time with us; he cares about the people who make up the club, whoever they are.
This to me is the exact opposite of McMahon's treatment of John Trollope. It is why this championship feels so much better than that one did, and don't misunderstand me, that one felt good. There's a reason the club won family club of the year; amongst other things, it genuinely feels like those at the top care about those who work lower down and those who pay to watch. It's a massive cliche, but it feels like a family.

"Absolute Calamity!"
mozalini

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:42:32 »

This is another reason why DiCanio has become so beloved in his short time with us; he cares about the people who make up the club, whoever they are.
This to me is the exact opposite of McMahon's treatment of John Trollope. It is why this championship feels so much better than that one did, and don't misunderstand me, that one felt good. There's a reason the club won family club of the year; amongst other things, it genuinely feels like those at the top care about those who work lower down and those who pay to watch. It's a massive cliche, but it feels like a family.
Perfectly put Uncle, thats it in a nutshell.  Doom-mongers warning of the imminent departure east of Paolo are ignoring his massive sense of loyalty and belonging to the STFC family.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:47:01 »

I'm sure Paul Bodin and Kate Cady would beg to differ
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:52:13 »

Strange how people forget isn't it arriba ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:54:15 »

Yeah, when did Bodin get booted out exactly?

News to me.
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:57:49 »

I think its important for a manager to have his own backroom team, including the youth coach. I guess these two were kind of forced on him as such. However given Paul Bodins history with the club, it is disappointing to see.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 20:08:38 »

Yeah, when did Bodin get booted out exactly?

News to me.
Where did he say Bodin had been booted out ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: