Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ideal Squad? (2012/2013)  (Read 10115 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:42:34 »

Di Canio's unstable behaviour at the moment suggests that anything can happen between now and August.

Plenty of strengthening is needed or we'll struggle like Chesterfield have this season.

It's going to be another interesting summer.

Which is why I say it's best to switch off...get the deck chair out, dust down the barbie, throw in some Pimms..and see what the world brings.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:50:31 »

Marlon Pack in from Cheltnumb, James Collins in from Screwsbury, A.N Other Centre Back and Centre Midfield and one more striker who is quick and a back up keeper.

Might be harder to get Collins now they're likely to join us in L1.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:52:15 »

Understand that we are taking a close look at a non-league striker from Witham Town in the Essex Senior League.  Called Bill Hunt, has been prolific this season and scored a hat-trick when we sent a scout to watch him.  Don't know any other details, we may not be following up our interest just as with the guy from the north east, which apparently has turned out to be the correct decision.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:53:07 »

Would expect Magera to be given another chance

Remember some of these players we would like to get rid of are on 2 year deals so they will only leave if another team wants them.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 11:00:45 »

I'm still convinced that Magera MUST be a good player.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 12:52:39 »

They got us promoted so give them all a chance next season.

L1 is not a big step up at all. We've had enough seasons there to know this.

Disagree completely.

The club cannot afford to keep them all as the team will need significant strenghtening to compete in league 1 as Di canio has already stated.
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:00:37 »

I didn't realise Collins was only 21. I thought he was 30 or something. In that case he seems ideal. Along with Pack of course. Smiley
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:02:56 »

I disagree too.
I think it is a reasonable step up to League 1 - certainly different types of teams at that level.
Our current squad would hold their own and probably settle just below half way in League 1.

To offer serious chance of challenging next season I think we need to sign a few players who could potentially play at Championship level - a centre back, a left back (could be McEveley), a winger, 2 central midfielders and a striker.

A first choice team that includes Fods, Caddis, Devera or Flint, Ritchie, McCormack (in midfield), Benson and 5 quality new players would certainly challenge.
The likes of Ferry, Rooney and Bodin would be good squad players who would need to play their part.

Would mean some departures of players currently contracted for next season to make way for the new blood.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:07:13 »

Disagree completely.

The club cannot afford to keep them all as the team will need significant strenghtening to compete in league 1 as Di canio has already stated.

Stevenage have done alright sticking with what they had.

Chesterfield not so much but they lost their top scorer.

Swings and Roundabouts really - I just don't think the gap in standard is that great.

People seem to have been slightly blindsided by our Wembley loss and dodgy end of season form. We've more than held our own with our current team against higher opposition this season. You could also argue that the top 5 or 6 teams in L2 (which we have a very good record against) are of an equal or even better standard than the bottom 6 or 7 in L1.

Flashheart

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:17:00 »

The likes of Ferry, Rooney and Bodin would be good squad players who would need to play their part.

Ferry a squad player?

Are you forgetting he was instrumental in our play-off final season?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:21:01 »

Might be harder to get Collins now they're likely to join us in L1.
It will be but hes out of contract in the Summer and has not agreed a new one with Shrews as yet, he will cost us money being only 21 but surely we can afford more wages than Shrewsbury will pay him....if he fancies a new challenge at a better club than he is currently at with a much much better manager.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:21:29 »

Ferry a squad player?

Are you forgetting he was instrumental in our play-off final season?
Ferry will be important next season and I agree will be much more than a squad player.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:35:21 »

Ferry will be important next season and I agree will be much more than a squad player.

I agree he's been good this season and I'm not forgetting his performances from 09-10.
Only my opinion of course but I just think that if we want to make a serious challenge next season we'll need to bring in an even better midfielder.
I would still envisage Ferry making 30 plus appearances but maybe many of them from the bench.  Of course it would also give him the challenge to up his game even more to keep the shirt.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:39:21 »

Which is why I say it's best to switch off...get the deck chair out, dust down the barbie, throw in some Pimms..and see what the world brings.

I hear ya Reg.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 13:39:40 »

De vita will still be here i reckon, played well against higher opposition.

There would be no chance of Gary Roberts
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: