Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Northampton Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 33521 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #225 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:01:25 »

I'm not in the TE.

It was to the tune of New Kids on The Block - 'The Right Stuff' but with De Vita sung at the end.

That's been a town end staple for quite a while Smiley
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:05:14 »

I didn't go to the game but it sounds like it was pretty even.

There was only one side that looked like they were going to win that.. and that was us.

Wes didn'nt really have a decent save to make, whilst we missed about three very good chances to kill the game off.

I pity you having to watch that hoofball shite every week.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:06:02 »

Wes didn'nt really have a decent save to make, whilst we missed about three very good chances to kill the game off.

Come off it, he made two top notch saves. We were the better team, but not by a mile.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:06:32 »

EDIT

What Nemo said.

Sorry arriba!!!!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
A Cobbler

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:16:53 »

There was only one side that looked like they were going to win that.. and that was us.

I pity you having to watch that hoofball shite every week.
It's funny that you make an assumption that we play like that every week. We can play a variety of ways now, including as you put it 'hoofball'. In fact, people have only started questioning the way we play since we started picking up results. Strange that Smiley

When we were playing nice, easy on the eye football and ended up losing, people were very quick to congratulate us on the way we played.

Given the choice, I'd rather win and piss people off than play pretty football and get compliments after losing.

Of course, having both would be ideal, but we've essentially had to build a new squad from February to keep us in the league and we aint going to get both.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:20:24 »

Share?

He ate all the pies, he ate all the piiiieeees, Akinfenwa, he ate all the pies.....

He just stood and laughed, which is the best way to deal with it.

-----
I also agree with Benzel who agreed with Nemo.
Spud

« Reply #231 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:20:46 »

I thought Northampton played alright. Had they been more composed with a couple of chances near the end, then they could have easily gone home with a point.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:21:27 »

I wouldn't want to watch that each week at Northampton....Hoof...Long-throw...Hoof.

They were basically like a shitter version of Crawley. Just hoofing and looking for long throws and free-kicks. Utter shite.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:23:56 »

Come off it, he made two top notch saves. We were the better team, but not by a mile.

Indeed. The save he made in the second half was pure class.

Macca was deservedly awarded man of the match. A couple of months ago we had 5 contenders for player of the season - now there's only one. Not sure what's up with Rooney at the moment, he hasn't played well since Homles arrived (perhaps that's why).

The crowd were quiet today and the game had a mid-table end of season stroll feel about it. A very big 3 points though.

Big queues for Aldershot tickets before the game. Glad I got mine  Smiley

Cats are better than dogs FACT
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:26:03 »

They were basically like a shitter version of Crawley. Just hoofing and looking for long throws and free-kicks. Utter shite.

Think that's harsh. They tried to get the ball out wide fairly often, but we dealt with it well and they were left lumping it forward as there was no other way through. If they scored, it was almost certainly going to come from a set piece, but I think that's a compliment to our defensive work to stop them playing. I've seen much worse efforts from Boothroyd sides.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:27:02 »

Tough game today. It's clear why Northampton have been on a decent run. They were organised (largely due to having Clarke Carlisle at the back, but Langmead is a solid player too), very compact and had a plan to nullify our our attacking threat which largely worked. Whilst keeping a high line, they forced us to go either direct to Benson or Murray (which their back two dealt with) or go wide to our wingers. Bar a couple of occasions, Rooney and Holmes were predictable, and their full backs showed them the line time and again. Our goal perhaps justifies playing Holmes on the wrong side, but I can't help thinking he and Rooney would have been more effective on their natural flanks today given how Northampton were set up.

Onto us. The back five looked very comfortable - as we have come to expect. This season's success is predominantly down to them - and the defensive effort of the team generally. 22 clean sheets is absolutely unbelievable. Flint is as good a lower league stopper you are likely to come across. McCormack is just a cut above everything else on the pitch - his anticipation is simply brilliant.

In midfield, Risser and Ferry struggled to take control of the game as they were outnumbered in the middle and were well closed down. That said, Risser did what he could to break up play and Ferry did all he could to get his foot on it and create. The issue was with the wingers today - they could and should have been our main outlet but, as I've mentioned, the 'wrong-footed' wingers were ineffective. It may narrow us to our defensive benefit, but tthe benefit is outweighed but the way it restricts us going forward. Yes, our came came from a 'cut-in' cross, but given the amount of the ball Holmes had, more balls should have gone into the box.   

Benson, as has been said, was Benson. Murray was Murray. Nippy, but without the pace or ability to make that translate into goals or chances for others. I am quite excited of the prospect next year, outside interest pending, of Caddis and Ritchie supplying a forward line of Benson in poacher-mode, and a pacy striker with the strength and movement to scare defenders. Now Paolo, go and find that player.

Good day at the office.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:32:14 by The Moonraker » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:32:08 »

By the way, that's now 17 clean sheets in 21 home league games.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:38:32 »

He ate all the pies, he ate all the piiiieeees, Akinfenwa, he ate all the pies.....

Cheesy

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:39:13 »

De Vita looked really really good when he came on. Wouldn't go as far to say he changed the game, but we looked a lot more balanced after he replaced Rooney.
Really? He is always solid but the signings of Holmes and Rooney have shown the quality we lacked earlier in the season on the left of the pitch. I like him and he has scored some good goals this season but I think he will be off in the summer.

Almost over the line, been a great effort by all involved this season.

The Frog

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Monday, April 9, 2012, 17:45:38 »

de vita was terrible hence paolo giving an earful at full time
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: