Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground re-development ????  (Read 28157 times)
Dozno9

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:24:42 »

Re Tynecastle - definately too steep, UEFA have declared it unsafe for Euro competitions! And those seats without backs are death traps.

I never remember that the seats have no backs at Shitty, always go a good 'un.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:29:07 »

It's probably sensible to push the council while the feel good factor surrounds the club.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:29:35 »

Completely agree with that, Spence.  There is certainly an irony that while Swindon's town centre has been allowed to deteriorate and fester to a greater extent than those of its neighbours through lack of investment over a period of decades, we are still lucky enough to have a town centre football club.  If Swindon BC does not grasp the opportunity to place STFC at the heart of its regeneration plans for the east side of the town centre, then it will not deserve another one.  As someone who has not lived in Swindon for a long time now, I never cease to be amazed by just how dilapidated the centre of town has become since I left.  (OK...it wasn't great while I was there.)  But work with the club, and you could do something worthwhile here.  Only one piece of the jigsaw, but worth doing.  Anything to arrest the decline.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:31:29 »

Its taken 20 years but I think some of the council have at last realised that the club is one of the only things in the Town that

1) Puts Swindon on the map.
2) Brings people to the Town who wouldnt usually come (even if we are only talking people from Cirencester/Chippenham/Faringdon etc).

If STFC left the Town centre it would be an utter disaster for SBC. Some councillors will always be too incompetant to see it though.

Re Tynecastle - definately too steep, UEFA have declared it unsafe for Euro competitions! And those seats without backs are death traps.

I thought the only objection UEFA had with Tynecastle was the distance between the stands and the pitch, i.e. it's too close. Wasn't aware they were concerned with the stands being too steep. Learn soemthing new...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:33:21 »

Agreed Ardiles, though  I'm not sure the centre declined as such. It has hardly changed at all. And that isn't a compliment.

To exclude or obstruct the club from redevelopment planning would be another case of the council failing the Town, again. Maybe this council has finally learned from the failures of the past.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:43:52 »

I thought the only objection UEFA had with Tynecastle was the distance between the stands and the pitch, i.e. it's too close. Wasn't aware they were concerned with the stands being too steep. Learn soemthing new...

You're on a steep learning curve
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 23:40:39 »

Tynecastle does look epic though, well apart from that shitty other stand. Something like that stand would be quality...but just not quite so steep. I think one of the big reasons Wembley is such a shit atmosphere is because it's too gradual with the rise, they were more concerned with giving fans extra leg room that they don't need.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 00:03:21 »

Redevelopment does make sense for the town/council. They're going to be doing a lot with the old police station site, the other side of fleming way too including Carfax street, the bus and train station.

skay

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 00:31:28 »

gotta keep the floodlight pylons though.. i love seeing them lit up on my way to the ground. something old school a lot of other ground do no have
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:42:05 »

Tynecastle does look epic though, well apart from that shitty other stand. Something like that stand would be quality...but just not quite so steep. I think one of the big reasons Wembley is such a shit atmosphere is because it's too gradual with the rise, they were more concerned with giving fans extra leg room that they don't need.

I am sure Jan will disagree, but the atmopshere at Tynecastle can be really good. The location is brilliant as well, in close locations to plenty of pubs and eateries.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:49:03 »

Close to the pitch = better atmosphere.

Loftus Road and the Den are good examples.
Barry Scott

« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:52:53 »

Close to the pitch = better atmosphere.

Loftus Road and the Den are good examples.

Yes I love Loftus Road.

Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:54:21 »

I've been to Loftus Road once, I remember it well. Great atmosphere, the crowd seems right on top of you.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 14:01:31 »

I went during in the 03/04 play off season, we took 3,000 there.
nochee

« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 15:08:41 »

gotta keep the floodlight pylons though.. i love seeing them lit up on my way to the ground. something old school a lot of other ground do no have
I agree, a touch of the real county ground left in with the new.  I will feel quite sad If/when the redevelopment happens. As much as it is a bit flakey, it's still home and holds 25 years of great memories.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: