Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1993 That's Football! - Channel 4 Swindon Town Documentary  (Read 22534 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 00:02:55 »

Not sure this has been linked on here for a while. I haven't watched it for absolutely years and had forgotten how brilliant it is. There are some great bits to it: the life a reserve team player back then, and how things seemed to be run completely separately; Kevin Morris - getting quite aggressive talking about his terminally ill wife, and then crying with what appeared to be joy when it was clear we were going through to Wembley at Tranmere - quite poignant when you consider he committed suicide about a year later - and Hoddle, Gorman and Ray Hardman popping up and down the stairs when Hoddle resigned and the camera looking through the window into the room where it appeared Gorman was telling Hoddle he wouldn't be joining him at Chelsea.

That team really was a team of men - in the main they were experienced, opinionated and very switched on (particularly Ling and Dave Mitchell- no surprise they have become decent managers). I'd would like to see di Canio's reaction if a player questioned him like Hazard did to Hoddle in training, but then those two had played together at Spurs (didn't they?), so slightly different.

The scenes of everyone on the bridges and then back at the CG welcoming the coach back from Wembley are pretty special. It really makes you realise quite how bloody excellent being a football fan really is at times - I hope to God we keep hold of di Canio for a few years and back him because I have a feeling his pure belligerence will propel us up the leagues. Watch it!

« Last Edit: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 00:10:48 by The Moonraker » Logged
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 09:56:46 »

There are many good things in there but I love John Moncur's look at the camera when Hoddle gets frustrated and shows them how to do the finishing exercise in training...

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 11:12:05 »

Nice shot of crystal tips on 54 mins!

Nice hair!

I think I had full highlights at the time, Dollar style!

Clems Army!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 11:47:08 »

I just watched a few clips there.  Lump in my throat at times.

This should be required viewing for any fan and any player who joins the club.  So lucky that we had the cameras following us that season, of all seasons.
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 12:44:35 »

Lump in the throat stuff indeed... What is abundantly clear is that there were many many people at the club who cared about Swindon - deeply! I started watching in 1994/1995 and regret that I've missed this great period of our history.

Swindon in the Premier League with Hoddle and Calderwood would have stayed up, I know it! Where would we be now if we had...? That's football

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 12:53:03 »

The first week of June 1993 was an emotional time, no doubt about it.  You could see Hoddle was upset as he came out of his meeting with the board; and you could see Hardman was seething at the press conference.  You could also see the deep bond that existed between Hoddle and Gorman.

It really came across in the last 5 mins of that film that Gorman's appointment as manager was a sentimental one, borne out of loyalty.  I loved the guy, as everyone else did.  But the film bears out what many have said since...that, in hindsight, he was probably not the right man for the job back in 1993.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 13:16:12 »

The 92/93 season was great. Sure I was 9 years old but it's probably the season that cemented my support for the club.

I thought Glenn Hoddle (the player) was a God... and I held Shaun Taylor in even higher regard.

Kid-a-Quid nights, there's an incentive that sounds dated.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 13:28:02 »

What ever happened to Ray Hardman? The club secretary, Jon Pollard, was clearly an avid fan as well - what happened to him?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 18:08:44 »

Its been a while since I saw this but two things that stood out this time :

1. Brian Marwood ? Serioulsy ?
2. Shaun Taylor - legend beyond words.
DRS

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 18:36:52 »

I may be totally wrong but i swear i always like Marwood because he scored a diving header against Bristol City
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 18:39:01 »

I may be totally wrong but i swear i always like Marwood because he scored a diving header against Bristol City

It was his debut wasn't it?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 19:15:06 »

Marwood played well for us although he was in the twilight of his career.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 19:24:52 »

City had an atrocious away kit and the song from that day still makes me smile now.

They're green they're plum they take it up the bum.

Poetic.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 19:40:09 »

Kid-a-Quid nights, there's an incentive that sounds dated.
West Ham are running that for their game against Cov in the New Year.

I've never watched this documentary. Sorry.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 19:41:18 »

Anyone got this one dvd by any chance, can't possibly watch it on a pc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: