Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Realistic ambitions  (Read 6023 times)
Thememoriesgone
Scummer

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:22:56 »

I keep reading on here quotes such as "early days" "we will still piss this league" and "see who is laughing on the last day of the season"
Well heres a few questions,do you realistically think you can win this league?
Is a top 3 finish well within your capabilities?
After the start you have had would you take a play off place now?

From an Oxford perspective,
I think Crawley will walk this league,they have kept there momentum going and spent big.
I think a top 3 is a poss,but will be difficult,lucky results like yesterday are essential.
Would probably take a play off place now,but as 7th is a play off spot,this should be the minimum.

I think Swindon will struggle against teams that come for a draw,but will do well against the teams that try to play football.

Shrewsbury away could be the acid test for your team,they play football,will come at you,and in doing so,give you more space,a win could be the kick start you need.
Current odds for Division 2.
http://www.bet365.com/home/FlashGen4/WebConsoleApp.asp
Your out to 18/1,so if you still think you will"piss this league" lump on.
But the bookies are rarely wrong and Crawley are 13/8 !!
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:25:19 »

Why do you care what our ambitions are?

Fuck off back to your own forum.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:31:21 »

126 points left to play for.

Do I think we can win the league? Is a mighty big ask to be honest.

However, I do think we can finish in the top three.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:36:09 »

My ambition pre season was not to endure a fuck up failure like last season rather than vying for honours.........its not going too well at the mo...

Clems Army!
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:37:57 »

It's going to take time but once we click we will start climbing the league, We were far better than your lot yesterday who got lucky with two set pieces and other than that you were no threat to us whatsoever, 4 out of 46 games is a bit to early for predictions but i would expect us to be in the top 3 come the end of the season and the play offs at worst.

18/1 is cracking E/W odds and well worth a punt.
Thememoriesgone
Scummer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:38:07 »

Fuck off back to your own forum

Nice of you to enter the debate.
Welshred,hmm,shouldnt you be on the Wrexham forum?
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 08:50:46 »

Nice of you to enter the debate.
Welshred,hmm,shouldnt you be on the Wrexham forum?

I just don't understand why on earth you care about what our ambitions for the season are? I couldn't care any less what your lots hopes and ambitions are for the season, and nipping over to ask you all hasn't even entered my mind. Why would I care?! I have absolutely no desire to converse with Oxford United fans.

Why do you care?
Thememoriesgone
Scummer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:00:39 »

Its a forum,
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.
If everybody on this and any forum,had the same opinion it would be boring and nobody would be on it.
I havent been derogatory about Swindon,i admitted that Oxford were fortunate yesterday,i just wondered what the opinion
was,from sensible posters,what there realistic ambitions for the season were.
You say you dont give a fuck about what i,or any Oxford fans think,  really, so why are you posting on my thread?

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:12:03 »

The problem is thememoriesgone, the level of obsession that you have with us is grating on Swindon fans at the moment. This isn't sour grapes because it's been mentioned several times before yesterdays game.

Now would be about the normal time to be on a rivals forum so it's probably not directed at you personally but the sheer level of oxford fans on our forum not only in the build up to this game but just generally, we find very odd. Yes we are biggest rivals and the feeling is mutual but a lot of people are getting the impression supporting oxford is as much about Swindon losing as it is Oxford doing well.

The sheer level of obsession to the point where the Oxford Mail has a headline on the back page that the "SWINDON CHELTENHAM IS ON!" is really quite strange and very backwards. It's difficult to get our heads round as apart from the songs we have which are fun to sing(I would also say cheering the half time score when you're losing, but we haven't been in the same leage...whats the bet they still announce it at the Kassam when we're losing in a higher league?), we really haven't thought that much about you for 9 years until the prospect of playing you has come up. Certainly not enough to visit a rival forum regularly.

To be blunt, it's fucking odd.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:12:19 »

Fuck off back to your own forum.

Jesus wept, the guy wasn't being antagonising or anything.

I know generally this forum is reserved for discussions such as whether Broccoli is an aphrodisiac for ducks, however

Intelligent football debate is severely lacking on here at the best of times!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:13:03 »

I've said along that as long as we secure top 3 then that's all that matters and I still think we are capable of doing so.

At least you admit you were luck yesterday. More displays like that will see us win more than we lose, that much I am confident of.
Can see what you're saying about breaking teams down that come for a point. But we have the physicality to sort that out, if Paolo picks the right team.
I have every confidence that we'll have a good season.
Unfortunately it does seem like Crawley are going to be contenders - judging by these early results.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:18:42 »

Jesus wept, the guy wasn't being antagonising or anything.

I know generally this forum is reserved for discussions such as whether Broccoli is an aphrodisiac for ducks, however

Intelligent football debate is severely lacking on here at the best of times!

I know he wasn't being antagonising, but I just struggle to understand why he feels the need to ask about our current ambitions?

Do you care about what Oxford fans expect for the rest of the season? No. You don't.

I suppose I'm just surprised to see the level of obsession that they seem to have with us.

I was listening to TalkSport on the way home yesterday (was out with the family) and he was talking (ranting) about their win. "We.....Beat....Them....", "Its the best day....ever".

I mean, come on. Get things into perspective will you?
Muffin Man

« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:23:40 »

I like a bit of a debate, especially with Pox fans, they gloat at our inability to beat them but this bloke/woman has not come on here purely to gloat about yesterday (which is to be expected) they have actually started off in a fairly open debate.

As Eric did.....things will probably change for the worse soon enough though as a lot of our fans goad back and then it develops into a free for all...sigh.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:25:39 »

I'd like to think that come the end of september we'll be generally injury free, playing a settled squad and things will begin to click. If that happens I think we've got the quality in the squad to be challenging at the right end of the table.

If it doesn't, we'll plod around mid table, rarely being outclassed but conceding sloppy goals. Like yesterday.

Generally this is an optimistic forum, so would have thought the majority view on here would be that everything will turn out hunky dory.

Things get better but they never get good
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 22, 2011, 09:35:50 »

Its a forum,
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.
If everybody on this and any forum,had the same opinion it would be boring and nobody would be on it.
I havent been derogatory about Swindon,i admitted that Oxford were fortunate yesterday,i just wondered what the opinion
was,from sensible posters,what there realistic ambitions for the season were.
You say you dont give a fuck about what i,or any Oxford fans think,  really, so why are you posting on my thread?

I think in reality you are disappointed not to come onto this forum and read about how our fans are crying into our beer and slitting our wrists because we lost to Oxford.. and it hasn't happened.

This is a decent forum and some of the postings on here have been absolutely spot on. Most on here are realistic and whilst I don't think any of us believe that we will "piss this league" as you put it, we have taken positives from yesterday and most still think that making the playoffs is not impossible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: