Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Juan Cobain - Found  (Read 1018 times)
Dazzza

« on: Sunday, July 10, 2005, 12:42:38 »

Playing for Argentine side Almagro who have just been relegated.

Ex-team mate of Rangers new signing Federico Nieto.

Nieto models himself on Gabriel Batistuta and Hernan Crespo, but Rangers fans owe the player’s arrival to an altogether more unlikely saviour. Juan Cobian – a right-back who was signed by Ebbe Skovdahl at Aberdeen, but failed to make the desired impact despite spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon Town as well as at Pittodrie – spent last season as a team-mate of Nieto at Almagro and, when sounded out about Scotland by the youngster last weekend, urged him to join up at Ibrox.

“I think that he can do well if Rangers give him a chance,” said Cobian, who is now 30. “He is a big lad, he knows how to play the ball. I went to see him last Sunday and he said that he had some possibilities to go and play for Rangers. So I said ‘of course’. It is one of the greatest clubs in Europe so he should take that chance and I am glad that he did.

“He is very good with his head, so he should have no problem in British football, which is so much about crosses and getting the ball into the box. He is also good at holding the ball up, and can pass it back easily. He is not a Juninho type who keeps the ball to himself. Nieto is more of a Hartson-type player.”

Despite his five years in Britain, and a slow-burning hankering to return, Cobian does admit South Americans do not always become part of our footballing fabric so seamlessly. “Maybe it is because they come from a different footballing environment, or maybe they don’t like the weather a lot. If you make me choose, I would choose the Argentinian weather, even though Aberdeen was great in the summer time. But it is not only always about the players, sometimes managers don’t help. Players may be used to being involved all the time, and sometimes the managers decide not to play you at all.

“In my case, the problem wasn’t really settling in at all,” he added. “The problem was that I suffered a hamstring injury which took me out for three months, before that I had played about five or six games and had been doing OK.

“If I was in Nieto’s position, I would try to get in touch with the lads over there as soon as possible. I told him that everyone over there is really friendly, and even more so as soon as he starts doing his job. His job will be to score a few goals.”

http://www.sundayherald.com/50758

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 10, 2005, 21:13:33 »

Well that's the kiss of death on Nieto's career - I mean how pleased would you be to be "endorsed" by Juan "I don't bother giving 100% for the reserves but demand a place in the 1st team" Cobian?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: