Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Di Canio about Danny Wilson in his 2000 Autobiography  (Read 14972 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 07:33:22 »

I just don't really like reading! Smiley

Damn right.  Plastic w*nkers.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 12:17:55 »

I looked for the book on Amazon but it looks like it is out of print, I suppose have to look at jumble sales (do people still have them these days ?) and such like for a copy

Anyone tell me who the publishers are I may contact them see if they have old dusty copy lying around they want to donate  Cheesy
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 12:19:51 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAOLO-DI-CANIO-AUTOBIOGRAPHY-/200614693112?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2eb59148f8

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Spencer_White

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 12:29:05 »

Wilson did have a softly spoken approach to management, and it wasnt everyone's cup of tea. But when it did click it produced great football.

Was also open to abuse by players who decided not to pull their weight.
betty_swollox

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 12:49:19 »

I got his book for about £2 second hand on Play.com.

It's a good read but I can't help thinking he bigs up his career in Italy before he came to Britain a bit too much. I don't remember ever hearing of him until he went to Celtic for £800K. Yet acording to his autobiography he gives the impression he was a god at Lazio who was screwed over by the chairman, helped rebuild Napoli after the Maradonna era, led Juventus to European glory and then helped AC win the Scudetto. When really I think he was a bit part player in Italy who probably never suited the style of game over there.

He's played for 3 of the most high profile Italian managers in Italy in Lippi, Trappattoni and Capello. 2 of which he fell out with.

Would be nice to hear his views post 2000 to include all his West Ham career and going back to Lazio and all that.
Also he's stuff with the Ultras does have the feel of slight fiction. He does come across as a truely passionate guy who always gave it his all, even in training. Just seems he doesn't like to be told what to do either -so he probably is ideal as a manager as I can't see him taking sh1t from players or agents.
Spencer_White

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 16:48:50 »

I think that Di Canio's own opinion that he was the man at the heart of all the success was probably one explaination why he got moved on so much early on in his career.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 17:01:53 »

Random Di Canio goal - 5 minutes in.

Nice gold boots and pointing to the invisible name!

Oops -

« Last Edit: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 21:47:14 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 17:18:14 »

Back to NR's original post, personally couldn't give a monkey's what PDC thinks/thought of Wilson, can't see what relevance it has.
I think it's always interesting to get a different perspective on things and personally, I am still very interested to know exactly what the hell went wrong last season. This gives us a possible clue as to one of the many contributing factors.  "No personality, no guidance, no real strength". It's one man's subjective opinion but it's no less interesting nonetheless.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 17:22:22 »

I got his book for about £2 second hand on Play.com.

It's a good read but I can't help thinking he bigs up his career in Italy before he came to Britain a bit too much. I don't remember ever hearing of him until he went to Celtic for £800K.

I agree, before he came to Britain, my memory of him is being something of a 'bit part' player. No arguments with what he did for Celtic, Wendys and West Ham though.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 06:39:13 »

I think it's always interesting to get a different perspective on things and personally, I am still very interested to know exactly what the hell went wrong last season. This gives us a possible clue as to one of the many contributing factors.  "No personality, no guidance, no real strength". It's one man's subjective opinion but it's no less interesting nonetheless.

I see what you mean, it is interesting to look at opinions that may give clues as to what rent wrong towards the end of DW's time. I just meant for me at the moment I would rather look forwards. We're in the early days under a new Chairman, new manager, and (hopefully) soon new players and until we see what shape next season's side will take that's where my focus will be.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 12:47:59 »

I think it's always interesting to get a different perspective on things and personally, I am still very interested to know exactly what the hell went wrong last season.

Sold Greer. Sold Austin.

Simple really in my opinion.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #26 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 12:54:56 »

Sold Greer. Sold Austin.

Simple really in my opinion.

We were shit before Austin left.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:18:23 »

We were shit before Austin left.

....and?

Selling him still contributed hugely to our downfall.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:20:30 »

Agree,even another ten goals bagged by him probably would have saved us.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #29 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:25:38 »

....and?

Selling him still contributed hugely to our downfall.

It's not just about Greer and Austin is it?

Of course it didn't help, but it went much much deeper than that. Only one other team in the league had Greer yet we still managed to finish bottom.

Had we kept Greer and Austin we would probably still have had a shite season, although we may well have stayed up. We were warned about Wilson being a one season wonder, how right those warnings turned out to be.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:30:08 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: