Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Di Canio about Danny Wilson in his 2000 Autobiography  (Read 14976 times)
nochee

« Reply #30 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:28:23 »

Agree,even another ten goals bagged by him probably would have saved us.

But...His shoulder injury ruled him out for the rest of the season for Burnley. We cashed in at the right time, i think anyhow.

And he's a prick.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:29:02 »

Just watch the Blades

They'll have a great season next season, only to bottle it at the end and fucking up in the play-offs because Wilson's got no bottle.

The next season they'll have a shocker 'cos again Wilson has no bottle to lift the team.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:38:36 »

But...His shoulder injury ruled him out for the rest of the season for Burnley. We cashed in at the right time, i think anyhow.

And he's a prick.

Know what you are saying nochee.

Just felt we could have cashed in on him more to be honest,if he had stayed untill the end of season and fired in another dozen goals in the process,we probably would have stayed up...and his transfer fee would have went up.
We shall never know bud.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #33 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:40:19 »

And what if we had lost Greer some other way, like a serious injury.

A manager should be able to compensate in that situation to at least some degree by finding a replacement.

What Wilson demonstrated was that he was incompetent at finding the right player to fill the gap despite him having the resources to do so. He didn't have to get it exactly tight, just a bit right but he couldn't even do that.
china red

« Reply #34 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 13:57:46 »

The strange thing for me is that when wilson came in and the play off season he seemed to be able to find the right players to do the job, what went so wrong last season is anyones guess.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:01:59 »

Trouble is when players have little respect for their manager and the manager isn't strong enough to overcome that then it doesn't matter who you bring in - those players will continue to rule the dressing room.

With PDC I think there will be little doubt as to who rules the dressing room...
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:04:05 »

The strange thing for me is that when wilson came in and the play off season he seemed to be able to find the right players to do the job, what went so wrong last season is anyones guess.

He got lucky.

Which is evidenced by the fact he could not repeat it, not even close. He got lucky with Greer who at the time we got him, was a crock rotting away in Doncaster reserves. Greer could have easily been another Frampton or any other of the loan failures.

magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:10:19 »

He got lucky.

Which is evidenced by the fact he could not repeat it, not even close. He got lucky with Greer who at the time we got him, was a crock rotting away in Doncaster reserves. Greer could have easily been another Frampton or any other of the loan failures.

sorry but i disagree. DW wasn't lucky he just had the right mix of players and had them working as a unit. Austin was non league, paynter was on the verge of the 1st team due to not being prolific. Cuthbert was an unknown as was Ferry. It can't be luck finding all these players surely.

He tried to strengthen with Prutton as i don't think STFC believed we'd get Caddis and Ferry yet that back fired big time as Prutton was shit. Why he never played Ferry instead could do with his weakness in the dressing room that PDC speaks of.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:12:11 by magicroundabout » Logged

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:16:33 »

sorry but i disagree. DW wasn't lucky he just had the right mix of players and had them working as a unit. Austin was non league, paynter was on the verge of the 1st team due to not being prolific. Cuthbert was an unknown as was Ferry. It can't be luck finding all these players surely.

He tried to strengthen with Prutton as i don't think STFC believed we'd get Caddis and Ferry yet that back fired big time as Prutton was shit. Why he never played Ferry instead could do with his weakness in the dressing room that PDC speaks of.

Cuthbert, Ferry and Caddis were the result of Fitton's work on creating relationships.

Austin was also thanks to Fitton. Paynter was already here.

Still, he managed to destroy Cuthbert and just not play Ferry.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:19:29 »

Cuthbert, Ferry and Caddis were the result of Fitton's work on creating relationships.

so really it's Fittons fault for getting involved with 1st team affairs?!

london_red

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:21:42 »

Paynter was already here, but doubled his best season's goals tally in the one full season he played under Wilson.

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but don't think its fair to imply Wilson never did anything good.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:23:07 »

Who takes the credit for bringing in Danny Ward then ? McGovern also had a good season.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #42 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:23:40 »

so really it's Fittons fault for getting involved with 1st team affairs?!

For being behind getting 3 of our best players?
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:25:27 »

For being behind getting 3 of our best players?

the chairman will always have the final say, so it's unfair to say DW had nothing to do with us signing them.

DW indentified the targets and Fitton did the rest.

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #44 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 14:25:50 »

Who takes the credit for bringing in Danny Ward then?

The same person who had more misses than hits with loans

Wilson didn't know how to put a squad together. He just went through as many players as possible hoping to find one that fit. Look at how many left-backs we got through.....

He's obviously good at getting a good squad to play well, but he is incompetent at putting a good squad together.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: