Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fave goal, game and player  (Read 7189 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:15:35 »

Seeing that everything is a bit dull at the mo lets reminisce with your favourite things and reasons why :

1.   Favourite  Goal
2.   Favourite game (other than Wembley)
3.   Favourite player of all time

Mine are :

1. Craig Maskell at Wembley - its the "ding" the ball makes off the post and the the cheer that follows
2. Has to be the 5-3 victory over Sunderland after they came down from having OUR place in Div 1.
3. Alan Mac - want to say Shearer, Bamber, Jan but to me Alan Mac in that season was simple amazing - 18 goals from midfield speaks for itself.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:21:13 »

1. Rooney volley vs Newcastle
2. Liverpool vs Westham 2006 FA Cup Final
3. Alan Shearer

Not really sure why I support Swindon.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:31:07 »

1. Charlie Henry's volley against Gillingham in the 87 play offs to get us back on level terms, puts the hairs up on the back of my neck watching it even now.

2. Birmingham A 6-4 1993, nothing has ever matched that from despair to delirium (although the play off final in 93 had my nerves all over the place)

3. David Kerslake, especially in the 89-90 season. He put some excellent crosses over that year, always got forward and took people on.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:37:37 »

1) Duncan Shearer at Watford (think it was his first league goal for the Town). I bought the video from Watford for that goal.

2) Arsenal at home in the League cup in 1979.

3) The Don, nobody will ever come close. Even Andy Rowland, whose winner in the game above was almost #1
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:50:39 »

1. Danny Invincibiles last minute goal which kept us up, just for the pure joy
2. 6-4 Birmingham, amazing game we almost left at 4-1
3. Duncan Shearer (I was 7 when my dad came home and said we had sold him and i cried my eyes out)
MichaelPook
Oh stop it Mr Fatbury!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 12:30:22 »

Favourite goal - was Rory Fallon's volley against Bristol City - it was class and it was against scum!

Favourite game has to be the 4-3 play off final win over Leicester - a dream fulfilled.

Favourite player - there have been many over the years - but Colin Calderwood was without doubt the best buy we ever made and a top class captain.

I used to be Fatbury
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 12:39:00 »

Fallon vs Bristol City. The technique was just outstanding.

Last seasons semi at The Valley - what needs to be said about THAT night?

Simon Cox - the perfect example to all kids on what a footballer should be like on and off the pitch.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 13:01:20 »

Fallon vs Bristol City, just pure class

Swindon 4-1 Oxford, Mid-Late 90s

Too many to mention, on any given day it can change....today i'm in a Shaun Taylor kind of mood
china red

« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 13:14:58 »

Bodin vs Leicester at Wembley has got to be one of the best feelings ever as a town fan

Not sure on the best game, possibly Leeds in the Carling cup when Robinson scored in the last minute.  Other than that beating Oxford in any game feels pretty good.

David Kerslake for me, loved watching him in the Shrivenham road stand
Dozno9

« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 13:22:38 »

1) Fallon v Shitty

2) 2-0 at the manor

3) Kerslake
Melksham Red

« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 13:28:04 »

Way, way too many to choose from but these spring to mind.

Bodin penalty at home to Pompey in 93 stands out. Last few minutes, we really needed the win to stay in touch with the playoff places and it was the first pen Bodin had taken since his miss that effectively knocked Wales out the WC qualifiers. Fuck me did we go mental in the Stratton Bank.

Favourite game is probably Charlton away in the playoffs. I've seen better games but nothing beats that night for sheer nail biting excitement.

The legend that is Chalkie White. Not that gifted a player but just love him. We always got 100% from Chalky.  
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 13:39:10 »

Cox vs Walsall - ridiculous first touch and what a finish

Charlton away in the PO's last year - as mentioned ran the gamut of of emotions that night

Mickey Hazard - he joined just as I started watching Town and was my first real hero. Fucking class in his day.

mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 14:10:45 »

Grant Smith at Bradford in 2005. A great team move, one touch football and an excellent finish.

Wycombe away in 2002. We were second from bottom. Took the lead with a Jimmy Davis (RIP) goal, played really well but end up trailing 2-1 then we then equalise with about 8 minutes left and then last kick of the game Parkin gets the winner. I've been to better games but the feeling when that winner went in was indescribable. Celebrating that goal will live with me forever. Got absolutely soaked aswell.

Glenn Hoddle and Paul Bodin from the old guard. Sam Parkin and Simon Cox recently. Cox is a nice fella aswell.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 16, 2011, 14:15:02 by mrverve » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 15:13:46 »

ross maclaren vs bolton in the league cup.not the greatest goal i've seen although it was a piledriver.
it broke the deadlock in games that had gone on and on and saw us through.great atmosphere that night at the county ground too.

stoke away 1990..again,not the best game i've ever seen,but it was the day our play off place was confirmed and the atmosphere was unbelievable

calderwood.no explanation neccesary
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 15:56:11 »

1) Kenny Stroud vs Everton in 76
2) Arsenal at home in the LC Semi Final in 79
3) Never saw Don Rogers play a competitive game so it has to be Glenn Hoddle for me, utter class.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: