Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: di canio  (Read 102789 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:30:39 »

And you don't?

Of course not.

Where have described others using abusive language?
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #676 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:30:53 »

It's a bit Daily Mail for the "real football fan". 

You beat me to it
Dazzza

« Reply #677 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:32:00 »

A few pages back someone mentioned The Game Podcast on PDC. I've just listened to it and it's moderately interesting. It's Gab Marcotti, who wrote PDC's bio, presenting and mainly talking. Obviously he's a bit bias, and a fucking shit presenter, but he points out a few new things and has spoken to him recently.

One is that PDC twice came top of his group on his coaching badges in Italy. But he does admit that he is a rampant egotist, very intense and very um... arrogant. He goes over the old ground about giving advice to young pros and being a good trainer.

He is earning less now than when he was a pundit. Also Capello really doesn't like him, nutjob is the word used.

He does talk about politics but I'm not re-opening that can of worms because everyone has their own opinions - and if anyone disagrees they get shouted down.

He seems to think that PDC will make a good manager but hints that everything will have to revolve around him - which could sound a bit McMahon. The same with the bit about being very straightfoward.

It is worth a listen but tolerating Marcotti makes it tricky.

Cheers for that Orange, any linkage?

Egotistical, intense and arrogant don’t inspire me but then could quite easily be used to describe old Jose.  I think by starting at this PDC is at least demonstrating a willingness to roll his sleeves up and get started in a role that while many may describe as a safe starting berth if he fails then he is going to really struggle to get another management role in English football.  

I actually think he will have us playing some very slick football although I just hope he realises that we need a side with some real bite and grit at this level.  

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #678 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:32:01 »

Of course not.

Where have described others using abusive language?

Suggesting that others have no opinion on anything is rather insulting, do you not think?
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:33:52 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:33:51 »

Of course we all have opinions, and WSC is an organ for expressing opinions. You might not agree with the majority of articles, editorials, letters, book reviews, photos etc that feature in it, and you can express your opinion on this - it would be ridiculous for anyone to want to deny you this. You are free to write a letter to WSC to criticise the content of an article, or submit an article that expresses your point of view on a particular subject. I don't think authors of WSC articles are trying to ram their views down people's throats, and I don't expect any author would expect all readers to agree with them. And is there anything wrong with football fans identifying issues in the sport that they consider problematic or troubling and then alerting others to it? I suspect a lot of WSC readers are the kinds of fans that see more to football than just the matchday experience. At the very least, it is the kind of football publication that has the balls to regularly consider corruption, mismanagement and dubious ownership - subjects that many Town fans can relate to.

In this instance you seem to only be able to view those with different opinions to yours in abusive and generalised terms. I think it is unfair to bracket someone like me as a 'pseudo' fan, 'tool' and 'prick'.

Surely if you express yourself in such a way, you should expect those you have criticised to defend themselves, hopefully in a reasoned way.

Why would I want to counter the minority's argument in print? I consider it an exercise in futility even on here (Even though I do bite). The people that are so sure of their beliefs aren't going to be swayed by a piece in a magazine.

That is actually aside from my main point, which is the minority view seems to get more of a platform than the majority in this instance and it's something that WSC's is fond of doing.
You say they identify issues of concern? Fine. Safe standing and corruption are issues of widespread concern. Having a manager who proclaims himself an Italian facist is not. That is the concern of a miniscule amount of people and most of those are so driven by their own bias, they can't see the fucking irony in what they're saying.

It's All Good..............
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:35:48 »

Suggesting that others have no opinions is rather insulting, do you not think?

I hardly think irony is particularly insulting - especially on this forum, and I certainly did not use abusive language.

I apologise to you and others if the language I used has insulted them.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #681 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:37:53 »

they can't see the fucking irony in what they're saying.

This is why I continue to bite.

The hypocrisy is just so blatant. (Credit due to some anti-fascists who recognise that hypocrisy and leave it be)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:38:40 »

Foul and abusive language is the foundation on which this forum is built!

If you don't like it, fuck off. (Or at least join in)

It's All Good..............
Sussex

« Reply #683 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:39:39 »

PDC is at least demonstrating a willingness to roll his sleeves up and get started in a role that while many may describe as a safe starting berth if he fails then he is going to really struggle to get another management role in English football.

I think this is key, he's on +10 brownie points with most fans before a ball is kicked, his managerial cv starts here and he needs to kick it off with a corker.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:50:29 »

Cheers for that Orange, any linkage?

Egotistical, intense and arrogant don’t inspire me but then could quite easily be used to describe old Jose.  I think by starting at this PDC is at least demonstrating a willingness to roll his sleeves up and get started in a role that while many may describe as a safe starting berth if he fails then he is going to really struggle to get another management role in English football.  

I actually think he will have us playing some very slick football although I just hope he realises that we need a side with some real bite and grit at this level.  

I can't do linkage as it is on iTunes or behind the paywall but it isn't hard to find. Just look for The Game and it's the 9 minute special. Second to last, I think.

The bit I missed was about PDC saying to Marcotti that he does know that he will be less impulsive, less irresponsible.

As for Jose, his arrogance is a device - he becomes the weathervane for the pressure on his team. It is artifice, something that Marcotti says PDC lacks.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #685 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:51:20 »

I hardly think irony is particularly insulting - especially on this forum, and I certainly did not use abusive language.

I apologise to you and others if the language I used has insulted them.

Insulting was the wrong word.

'Having a dig' would be more appropriate.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 18:53:42 »

Why would I want to counter the minority's argument in print? I consider it an exercise in futility even on here (Even though I do bite). The people that are so sure of their beliefs aren't going to be swayed by a piece in a magazine.

That is actually aside from my main point, which is the minority view seems to get more of a platform than the majority in this instance and it's something that WSC's is fond of doing.
You say they identify issues of concern? Fine. Safe standing and corruption are issues of widespread concern. Having a manager who proclaims himself an Italian facist is not. That is the concern of a miniscule amount of people and most of those are so driven by their own bias, they can't see the fucking irony in what they're saying.

I didn't know whether you wanted to or not - the point is that you are free to if you feel inclined.

I've no idea what the WSC editorial policy is. What I do know is that the letters section has included views that are contrary to those of authors of articles, and those that pick up on factual errors.

Having a manager that is a self-proclaimed fascist is obviously of concern to one Town fan, so much so that they wrote an article that has been published in WSC. I don't know whether or not the WSC editor would have considered publishing an article that expressed the opinion that the majority of Town fans don't give a hoot about politics and football and that those who have expressed their distaste/discomfort with Di Canio's appointment very much appear to be in a minority. From what I have read on this forum, there is no evidence to suggest that anyone's opinions on PDC have changed dramatically because of what someone has posted. People's opinions should be judged as opinions, not as attempts to force views on others. That goes just as much for the anti-Di Canio minority as it does for those who are not. I agree that those who have opinions that are so blinkered as to not even want to hear the views of others are wrong - bigotry feeds bigotry.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 19:20:17 »

Of course we all have opinions, and WSC is an organ for expressing opinions. You might not agree with the majority of articles, editorials, letters, book reviews, photos etc that feature in it, and you can express your opinion on this - it would be ridiculous for anyone to want to deny you this. You are free to write a letter to WSC to criticise the content of an article, or submit an article that expresses your point of view on a particular subject. I don't think authors of WSC articles are trying to ram their views down people's throats, and I don't expect any author would expect all readers to agree with them. And is there anything wrong with football fans identifying issues in the sport that they consider problematic or troubling and then alerting others to it? I suspect a lot of WSC readers are the kinds of fans that see more to football than just the matchday experience. At the very least, it is the kind of football publication that has the balls to regularly consider corruption, mismanagement and dubious ownership - subjects that many Town fans can relate to.

In this instance you seem to only be able to view those with different opinions to yours in abusive and generalised terms. I think it is unfair to bracket someone like me as a 'pseudo' fan, 'tool' and 'prick'.

Surely if you express yourself in such a way, you should expect those you have criticised to defend themselves, hopefully in a reasoned way.

The TEF lives! Too fucking right Leftside.

The irony for me is that everytime i see 'Leftside', I think 'Ironside' but then it's not.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 19:28:51 »

Leftside is Ironside's nemesis!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 19:49:36 »

I liked this comment on the article. I suspect, having read his book, it's not too far from the truth:

"From what I have seen and read of Paolo do Canio, I very much doubt if he is a proper, full-on fascist. That would require a level of social and political awareness that is probably way beyond him. A more likely explanation for his erratic behaviour is that he's slightly eccentric, he's extremely hot-headed and, most significant of all - he's not particularly clever.

Ideal material for football management, some might say..."
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: