Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Official Exeter vs. Swindon Matchday Thread  (Read 26254 times)
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:35:30 »

he is not really the type of manager we'd need for next season

Which is why he'll probably end up appointed with our dismal track record of managerial appointments!  Huh?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:36:32 »

Buckle is a good shout.

I like us to go after John Coleman at Accrington, done well on a tiny budget by League 2 standard.  Been there for ages so might feek too much loyalty to leave but he has probably taken them as far he can and will know that league inside out.  
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 13:32:09 »

Its got to be Alan Mac!
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 14:12:19 »

Its got to be Alan Mac!

No, it has to be you, oh special one.....
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 15:11:53 »

Just somebody who knows this league inside out.....Oh hang on .....i mean League 2

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 16:42:37 »

No, it has to be you, oh special one.....

If i'd taken over when Paul Hart did I'd have kept us up!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 16:57:40 »

, he is not really the type of manager we'd need for next season

Not sure why you think that....he has good Div 4 experience including promotion....can obviously work with an older figure in Lawrence (here think Fitton).  Got Lambert for a 100 grand and flogged him for a mill....similarly Hoskins will probably do the same ( don't know about his contract mind)

These are all the sort of boxes which Fitton wants ticking.
DA15red

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 18:18:24 »

IMO The problem this year is that after last year our expectations were raised to expect top 6 and the players bought into how fucking good we were. We should have targeted staying up first, then playoffs, then automatic. Instead despite the fact we are shit we were more worried about how far we were off the play offs than relegation. Federerer doesn't turn up at Wimbledon and say he isn't worried about the first round and is only bothered about the final and that is why the mindset has been wrong all season. Yeovil, D&R, the Gas might all be shit but need beating before we set our sights on promotion.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 12:16:53 »

IMO The problem this year is that after last year our expectations were raised to expect top 6 and the players bought into how fucking good we were. We should have targeted staying up first, then playoffs, then automatic. Instead despite the fact we are shit we were more worried about how far we were off the play offs than relegation. Federerer doesn't turn up at Wimbledon and say he isn't worried about the first round and is only bothered about the final and that is why the mindset has been wrong all season. Yeovil, D&R, the Gas might all be shit but need beating before we set our sights on promotion.

Slightly different in that Federer plays in a knock-out tournament.

I know this is a dangerous comparison to draw, but did Arsenal or Man City target survival first this season?  Unlikely.  It is easy to lambast complacency but it's not difficult to understand why it came about.
DA15red

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 13:23:37 »

I know the league is a  marathon not a sprint but my point about the wrong tone being set and the management team failing to guard against complacency is better demonstrated by Arsenal losing to Birmingham in the league cup final because they thought they only needed to turn up. I have felt that the players and manager have had that attitude at a number of the games I have been at this season (e.g. D&R home and away, Yeovil, Walsall etc. Etc.) Conversely we have performed well against the so called better teams (Charlton, Southampton etc.). This elitist attitude is unforgivable and the reason that we are better off getting shot of many of the current squad as once it has set in it is very hard to change.               
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 13:34:11 »

Disagree with you on this DA15red. Think after the positive steps taken last season it was more than reasonable to expect to build on that this year.

With the investment in the playing squad in terms of transfer fees and wages, and the oft-mentioned 3/5 year plan the targets had to be set quite high. The only way to improve and move forward is to aim above yourself and then push to reach those levels.

Clearly misjudgments of ability and other assorted errors were made, and I don't need to go into the failings in assembling the playing squad - but at the level of expectations and ambitions for the season I don't see why we shouldn't have gone in with the attitude we did.
DA15red

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 07:19:57 »

I'm talking about the mindset on a game by game basis not for the whole season. No problem with having high expectations for the season but they can only be achieved if you are up for every game. I don't think that has been the case this season. E.g. Beat Charlton then do nothing against Oldham etc.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 16:54:09 »

Slightly different in that Federer plays in a knock-out tournament.

I know this is a dangerous comparison to draw, but did Arsenal or Man City target survival first this season?  Unlikely.

No but how many of them were mediocre (to say the least) the season before?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: