Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Joe Mason  (Read 4878 times)
Spencer_White

« on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:31:21 »

Seeing as there isnt much action going on, Joe Mason.

We had a bid accepted of £300k, which is at least positive we were prepared to pay that sort of cash, and positive Plymouth accepted the bid. But alas he said, thanks but no thanks.

Had anyone seen him play?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:33:01 »

Nope, but 300K is significantly more than I thought we'd bid.

Still I can see his point of view, why leave your home town club for a sideways move?
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:35:25 »

No. But from what I can recall in my reading around, some Plymouth fans think he's amazing and others (according to comments on here) think he's shit. He sounds like the sort of player that, had we signed him, would have had many, many, many fans truly happy for being ours and would be willing to wait patiently if he didn't score on his debut.
König

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:35:36 »

i'd be mightily pissed off if we were in the same position as plymouth and a young player, who by some reports isn't that good, turned down a move when there was a 300k offer which would have held off the taxman for a while.

i also don't think we're that much of a sideways move, we have a good board and good finances and are (at some point in the future) going to be on the up
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:37:36 »

It makes me wonder what we're prepared to pay for Benyon or another.

But back to Mason, seems a bit out of the blue. Could it be one of Byrne's old recommendations? Are we starting to scrape the barrel a bit? Or was he a genuine target in our sights who we thought we could get on the cheap (though £300k isn't tbh)?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:37:39 »

I think he has had a lot of interest from Championship clubs so is waiting to see what happens in the summer rather than risk it in this league.
Spencer_White

« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:37:59 »

Yeah, the thisisDevon website thinks it would have been enough for them to pay off their tax debt.

To be honest, Id say he's made the right decision for himself.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:39:10 »

i agree Spence but as a Plymouth fan i'd be pissed off.

Spencer_White

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:39:48 »

No. But from what I can recall in my reading around, some Plymouth fans think he's amazing and others (according to comments on here) think he's shit. He sounds like the sort of player that, had we signed him, would have had many, many, many fans truly happy for being ours and would be willing to wait patiently if he didn't score on his debut.

In my experience, if you have a young player that divides the fans like that then he's probably shit. Because the fans who think he is brilliant are making too many allowances for his age.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:40:52 »

300k was a generous bid from us. I ber Plymouths board are a bit pissed off he didnt agree to a move. I'd have thought his hands may have been tied but obviously not.
König

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:41:07 »

how bad is plymouths situation, will they just keep finding the money everytime they have a winding up order, or are they truly in the shit and have no money at all? is there a realistic chance they could be liquidated?

edit: id just like to celebrate my century of posts by raising my TEF bat  Beers
« Last Edit: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:42:53 by stfc_bath » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:42:16 »

Think the immediate problem is not paying the wages yet again which could bring points deductions
Barry Scott

« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:42:21 »

In my experience, if you have a young player that divides the fans like that then he's probably shit. Because the fans who think he is brilliant are making too many allowances for his age.

Exactly. Someone who's truly good is liked unanimously. Look at Charlie, everyone thought he was EDIT: the bollocks a total cunt.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:44:07 by Barry Scott » Logged
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:43:19 »

Plymouth fan I know reckons he will make it at club in Championship/Premier League level in a few years. Very highly rated.

I guess this is the player Wilson was on about after the match when he said he was waiting on a yes or no over the weekend. Lets hope he has someone else lined up now. We need two forwards but that is never going to happen.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:43:47 »

how bad is plymouths situation, will they just keep finding the money everytime they have a winding up order, or are they truly in the shit and have no money at all? is there a realistic chance they could be liquidated?

They are absolutely broke. To put it in context, Peter Reid paid the heating bill last month and he still had to wear Paul Mariner's coat. They're avoiding spending on absolutely everything, which is why a bid of 300k up front from us for Mason must have been very attractive.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: