Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Joe Mason  (Read 4881 times)
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 19:51:26 »

Reminds me of George Ndahs Departure to Wolves

From the Dark Side
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:06:03 »

There is a youtube video "dedicated" to Joe Mason, but its just a load of moody stills..... with some Argyle-orientated tune droning on in the background. Its all a bit weird really.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:08:35 »

From the wifes family in Salcombe who are season ticket holders they seem to think he has some good touches but it ultimately pretty shit, skillful close control let down by his final ball or shot usually.

Some fans do rave about him and a some just dont rate the lad, as stated above that is usually because of a lads young age they give him some leeway when it comes to consitancy.

I think £300k is a huge amount of money for a youngster of his (probable) potential but Danny (or our scouting network) must have seen something in him that they were impressed by.

Irrelivant now anyway as he wont move up North to join us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:10:17 »

We've made a pretty penny from Plymouth players in recent years. It would have been swell to give something back  Too Cool
Spencer_White

« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:13:40 »

I think you are much better paying big money for a 21 year old than a 19 year old.

The difference between Charlie Austin and Franck Nouble when they both started at Hartlepool last season was quite incredible.

Here was Frank Nouble, an England under 19 international on £8,000 a week who couldnt control the ball, couldnt head the ball, wasnt working particularly hard and generally was letting the game pass him by. Against Charlie Austin, on £1500 a week who was winning every single header, completing every single pass, running his lungs out and generally destroying their defence single handedly.

And of course scored the winner that gained us another 3 points.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:16:03 »

I think you are much better paying big money for a 21 year old than a 19 year old.

The difference between Charlie Austin and Franck Nouble when they both started at Hartlepool last season was quite incredible.

Here was Frank Nouble, an England under 19 international on £8,000 a week who couldnt control the ball, couldnt head the ball, wasnt working particularly hard and generally was letting the game pass him by. Against Charlie Austin who was winning every single header, completing every single pass, running his lungs out and generally destroying their defence single handedly.

And of course scored the winner that gained us another 3 points.

You could argue the difference was down to a player who thought they had it made (financially at least) compared to a player that had it all to prove having recently having been a brickie.
Spencer_White

« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:23:38 »

You could argue the difference was down to a player who thought they had it made (financially at least) compared to a player that had it all to prove having recently having been a brickie.

Nah. Its because Nouble is a teenager and West Ham think he's good because he's only 19 and he can run fast and thats all he is.

After about half an hour of embaressing himself, he started trying after about 25 minutes. He tried until he was subbed on about 60 minutes. In that time I honestly think I could see him panicking about how much easier Austin was carving apart their defence.

It put a great big smile on my face driving home (that and winning 1 nil). That this was one of West Hams most highly rated youngsters and he wasnt a patch on Austin. After that game he permanently became our 5th choice striker, and remained so until he went back to West Ham, an event that went almost completely unnoticed by Swindon fans.

He is shit. You can make excuses for him if you want? Barnsley will find out next. Then maybe another loan club. And then eventually West Ham. Their days of being an Academy powerhouse look over. That Wilshere lad at Arsenal was/is a West Ham fan and he slipped right under their noses.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:32:45 by Spencer_White » Logged
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:28:56 »

I was well excited when we got Nouble on loan, that quickly evaporated. I really hope we don't end up with another untried premier league striker and no one else, even Ward took a month or so to get really going - and we can't really afford that kinda bedding in period.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:31:33 »

He is shit. You can make excuses for him if you want?

I'm not making excuses for him. He was shit. My point is it looked to me that whenever he played he couldn't give a fuck. And I totally made a leap from there that it was possibly down to a 'big time' attitude. Though granted I may be wrong and it may have been down to lack of ability.

Compare that with Danny Ward. Couldn't have worked harder for us despite being played 'out of position'. Ward was only 17 when he joined us wasn't he?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:32:59 »

Just spoke to byrne who reckons he is probably the best young prospect he has worked with. Problem is that bristol city norwich southampton and another team want him. Obviously holding out for another move.
Spencer_White

« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:44:39 »

I'm not making excuses for him. He was shit. My point is it looked to me that whenever he played he couldn't give a fuck. And I totally made a leap from there that it was possibly down to a 'big time' attitude. Though granted I may be wrong and it may have been down to lack of ability.

Compare that with Danny Ward. Couldn't have worked harder for us despite being played 'out of position'. Ward was only 17 when he joined us wasn't he?

Like I said, Frank Nouble started that game pacing himself, not wanting to tire himself out before the later stages of the game.

But after about 20 minutes, and a few helpful shouts from Swindon supporters on his general performance (I like Victoria Park like that, its tiny and the players hear everything you say!) I think he was at least clever enough to realise he might not make half time, let alone 90 minutes. So he did start trying, hard, and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever, and he was lucky to make it onto the pitch again 2nd half.

Lazyness and lack of ability quite often go hand in hand. I think some players think they can hide their lack of ability by not giving 100% effort. If you are not busting your lungs out it is a lot easier to make sure you control the ball properly, and look within your comfort zone. The most notorious example of this type of player is Ben Hutchinson, who's performances sometimes made me feel physically sick.

Danny Ward is an absolutely fantastic player. I remmember thinking, wow, look at this kid go after 5 minutes. I think his first touch he lost the ball, but instead of moping he chased the bloke down, won it back, and sprinted back up the field. Brilliant. Class.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:46:13 by Spencer_White » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:58:00 »

Chaps...hes had a double hernia op since the good ol days....takes a lot of getting over.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:59:55 »

Chaps...hes had a double hernia op since the good ol days....takes a lot of getting over.

He's over it if the reserve game reviews are anything to go by
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 21:26:17 »

Going back to Nouble, was over at the Swansea forum to see if I could see a LJF rumour and came across this thread

http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92129

Seems they rate him as highly as we do.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 21:28:51 »

He's over it if the reserve game reviews are anything to go by

Fair enough Sie...would love him back....but just feel a relegation dogfight in LG 1 isn't what Bolton will want for him....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: