Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlie Austin  (Read 38829 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 19:13:32 »

THEY HAVE  a mock up of his shirt already PUKE!

[url width=800 height=794]http://www.seagullsdirect.co.uk/images/preview-shirt.php?name=austin &number=32&shirt=home&x=500[/url]

I quite like that.

When we sell him to the bummers im going to buy it
Spencer_White

« Reply #61 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 19:46:27 »

One more thing, the main reason I like Austin better than Coxy, is that when Austin scores its 'for real' a genuine emotion. So many times Cox would score a great goal and do a stupid dance, some continuation from a boozy night out. When Austin scores you can see he's in it for the club and the fans as well as himself.

Austin is at the same sort of stage Cox was at with us a couple of years ago. From the outside looking in, I would say Austin is a far more positive influence on the rest of the team. Cox was in far too much of a comfort zone at Swindon, he didnt have to try particularly hard. I often wondered if other players were copying him who didnt have his talent and really did need to graft.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 22, 2010, 21:14:48 by Spencer_White » Logged
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 19:47:34 »

I can't think of many Swindon players (past & present) who have a higher work rate than Charlie. He never stops chasing for 90 mins.
DMR

« Reply #63 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 21:23:30 »

One more thing, the main reason I like Austin better than Coxy, is that when Austin scores its 'for real' a genuine emotion. So many times Cox would score a great goal and do a stupid dance, some continuation from a boozy night out. When Austin scores you can see he's in it for the club and the fans as well as himself.

Austin is at the same sort of stage Cox was at with us a couple of years ago. From the outside looking in, I would say Austin is a far more positive influence on the rest of the team. Cox was in far too much of a comfort zone at Swindon, he didnt have to try particularly hard. I often wondered if other players were copying him who didnt have his talent and really did need to graft.

This is such a load of cobblers it's unbelievable. Cox played in a much worse side and tried his nuts off. You're having a pop at him about how he celebrated his goals, for fucks sake!
« Last Edit: Monday, November 22, 2010, 22:49:21 by DMR » Logged
Spencer_White

« Reply #64 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 21:38:22 »

This is such a load of cobblers it's unbelievable. Cox played in a much worse side and tried his nuts off. You're having a pop at him about how he celebrated his goals, for fucks sake!

Goal celebrations have always been important to me.

Splitting hairs, but I didnt say he didnt try, just that it was obvious he didnt have to, so much better than everyone else in that team. The morale around the club hit absolute rock bottom when Cox was there, of course that wasnt his fault, but it was the worst morale I have ever ever seen in a Swindon team and there were multiple reasons for it. Whereas with Austin I think you can see him almost inspiring other players.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 22, 2010, 22:06:51 by Spencer_White » Logged
skin_im_buzzer

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 21:47:23 »

I quite like that.

When we sell him to the bummers im going to buy it

They could at least get his first name right!
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #66 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 21:50:04 »

The fact  that the who was better scenario divides such a split on who was better shows there really isnt much difference between them.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 22:09:18 »

Cox was the more talented player, I'd rather buy Austin if I was a Manager.

You cannot put a big enough price tag on his penalty area play, it's not something that can be taught in training to any great degree wheras you can improve general technique (and he seems a more rounded player so far this season).

I think Cox will struggle against better quality players, where he can be marshalled and marked out of a game for long periods.  Austin looks to me like he would still put away that half chance he gets once a game, something that means he is dangerous even when he is not the best player on the pitch and even when he's been quiet all game.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 22:10:48 »

It's a lazy comparison, but Austin can be "the next Kevin Phillips" in my view: if he gets a chance, I'd back him to score it 9 times from 10, and plenty of players have built a career on that and little else. Yes, I'm looking at you Mr. Inzaghi.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 22:33:02 »

This is such a load of cobblers it's unbelievable. Cox played in a much worse side and tried his nuts off. You're having a pop at him about how he celebrated his goals, for fucks sake Jamie!

You can indeed argue the toss about who is the better player, the more valuable player etc but for me, Spencer White and I suspect thousands more,  the way and the genuineness with which Charlie celebrates his goals is part of what does make him a special Town player.

Coxy was a true professional, always gave his estimable best in a pretty shit team and kept us up but he was a Reading player with Premiership ambitions who took a step backwards hoping to take two steps forward and in the process did himself and also Town a power of good.

Charlie however didn't take a step backwards to come here - he took several steps upwards and risked failure, he is a local lad not a bummer, scummer or biscuitman non-entity, he is living the dream right now here at STFC and has been thrilled to play for his local team in League One - from his sub's appearance in front of 25k at Carrow Road, to scoring in the first minutes of his full debut at Carlisle, to scoring at Elland Road, St Mary's you name it and to being gutted, like us,  more than just professionally with his famous Wembley bobble miss.

Charlie therefore feels like he is ours, a potential Town legend who could take us on to greatness because he is quality and he IS Town.   Charlie embodies the fantasy most of us have had and may still have of scoring our way to glory but only in a Town shirt.  It is fantasy of course.  It is probably unfair on the Don but Charlie is the first player for me to even echo the feeling of having a youthful Town genius who enjoyed that status for what it was and not for where it might take him beyond Town.  Obviously that perspective is now moving on but hey, couldn't we just get promotion this year and go on to better things?  That's still my rather unreasonable dream.
deltaincline

« Reply #70 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 23:00:44 »

You can indeed argue the toss about who is the better player, the more valuable player etc but for me, Spencer White and I suspect thousands more,  the way and the genuineness with which Charlie celebrates his goals is part of what does make him a special Town player.

Coxy was a true professional, always gave his estimable best in a pretty shit team and kept us up but he was a Reading player with Premiership ambitions who took a step backwards hoping to take two steps forward and in the process did himself and also Town a power of good.

Charlie however didn't take a step backwards to come here - he took several steps upwards and risked failure, he is a local lad not a bummer, scummer or biscuitman non-entity, he is living the dream right now here at STFC and has been thrilled to play for his local team in League One - from his sub's appearance in front of 25k at Carrow Road, to scoring in the first minutes of his full debut at Carlisle, to scoring at Elland Road, St Mary's you name it and to being gutted, like us,  more than just professionally with his famous Wembley bobble miss.

Charlie therefore feels like he is ours, a potential Town legend who could take us on to greatness because he is quality and he IS Town.   Charlie embodies the fantasy most of us have had and may still have of scoring our way to glory but only in a Town shirt.  It is fantasy of course.  It is probably unfair on the Don but Charlie is the first player for me to even echo the feeling of having a youthful Town genius who enjoyed that status for what it was and not for where it might take him beyond Town.  Obviously that perspective is now moving on but hey, couldn't we just get promotion this year and go on to better things?  That's still my rather unreasonable dream.

Fucking good post, Redrag.
Mailman44

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, November 22, 2010, 23:07:30 »

Whatever happened to those rumors that Stoke where ready to pounce for a cool £3mil and would then loan him back to us?

As for which player is better, I'd take either one of them sharpish.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 09:12:28 »

Whatever happened to those rumors that Stoke where ready to pounce for a cool £3mil and would then loan him back to us?

It would appear that they were indeed as confirmed by yourself...a rumour. Obviously an unfounded rumour too.

Charlie for me reminds myself very much, and I have said it before a few times, of the great goalscorer Ian Rush.

He can lead the line well, has deceptive pace over short areas, can win the ball in the air and bring others into play, he can hold the ball up well but most important, a natural goalscorer.

Charlie knows exactly where the back of the net is and will hit the target many more times than he doesn't.

And as we all know...Ian Rush went on to be one of the leading goalscorers ever in English football history and I see no reason why Charlie cannot do the same.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 09:25:49 »

cox has hit his heights and i can't see him bettering what he's done.austin could improve further so who knows ow his career will develop.
he has that natural ability of finding the net.that could get him along way....
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 16:17:28 »

For all this talk of Cox being the better player, there weren't many clubs chasing his signature when it came down to it.

Chances are there will be quite a few clubs lining up for Austin in January.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: