Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Charlton Athletic - A Matchday Thread  (Read 43199 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 13:49:12 »

The biggest problem with Thompson for me was that he looked too nervous and as a result didn't play with any confidence. Which was the same problem with Macklin and Darby when he first played for us. For me the cause is Wilson and the more experienced players not doing their job and giving him the support and direction that he needs.

Though I reckon he'd be a lot better with McGovern in front of him rather than Caddis.
REDBUCK

« Reply #466 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 17:19:14 »

Jonny

You make it sound so simple. How do you know they didn't give him the support before and during the game. What are they meant to do, hold his hand or 90 mins and give him a special confidence pill.

If he's a bit nervous untill he's played a few more games, they can shout all they like it won't make a blind bit of  difference, in fact it might put him off even more.

How will we ever know if he can play at that level unless he plays a few games, gets to khow to be a professional

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 17:28:34 »

I'd agree with this. Infact I think it Thompson who made the block that stopped their guy scoring from the first shot, as you said - luck of the bounce as it went to their unmarked player.

We had no luck all night, that was a prime example....however ....piss poor overall.

Clems Army!
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:04:40 »

Bang on.  Reminds me of the beer ad (Carling?) from a few years ago that asked: if fans had transfer values, what would you be worth?  The bed-wetting howls of the Wilson Out faction have had me cringing with embarrassment this week.  First poor run of form and they lose all composure/sense of perspective and panic.  Wouldn't want any of that lot next to me in the trenches, that's for sure.

Anyone who thinks the manager who took us to Wembley in May needs sacking 3 months in to the new season is a bona fide idiot...and probably needs to bull up on some recent STFC history.  We chopped & changed managers far too frequently in the early 2000s.  And it got us nowhere.  What's needed now is a calm head and a steady hand on the rudder.  Away you go, Danny.  Show us you can turn it around.

Agree with that, but he better fucking had...I'm beginning to really hate this season.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:12:55 »

Some of the bollocks coming out of the right corner of the Town End was embarassing. Who are those people? Well, they're the bona fide idiots that Ardiles mentioned.

Some people...

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:21:56 »

You're assuming of course that the wage bill has remained static. Investment in the team isn't always in the form of fees paid, I'd guess we've invested considerably in increasing the wage budget this season to enable more quality to be brought in. Whether that money has been spent wisely and resulted in more quality is, of course, another matter, but I don't think it's true to say the investment's not been there, even if it hasn't been in headline-grabbing transfer fees.

The wages evens out Paul....the players like Paynter and Cox were on good money..so the likes of Douglas etc are getting more or less the same.
Look...dont think i am knocking Fitton and co i am not.........but my opinion is that even a third to a half of that money spent on Quality not quantity MAY have pushed us on.
They have decided not to spend so thats there decision...who am i to argue that spending extra would have brought results..i dont know.
Personally though a good solid signing when Paynter left was a must.......it didn't happen.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #471 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:35:55 »

Can we clear this up once and for all. Are you Sean Morrison?

Not quite.
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:38:23 »

The wages evens out Paul....the players like Paynter and Cox were on good money..so the likes of Douglas etc are getting more or less the same.
Look...dont think i am knocking Fitton and co i am not.........but my opinion is that even a third to a half of that money spent on Quality not quantity MAY have pushed us on.
They have decided not to spend so thats there decision...who am i to argue that spending extra would have brought results..i dont know.
Personally though a good solid signing when Paynter left was a must.......it didn't happen.
We need some proven players plus invest in the youth and non league there must be more players out there
Rich Pullen

« Reply #473 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:39:04 »

We need some proven players plus invest in the youth and non league there must be more players out there

Easier said than done!
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:40:26 »

I agree but we should try
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #475 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:53:03 »

We can't make major changes until January. Until then Wilson needs to get the best out of the players which is something he managed to do really well last season.

For those moaning about lack of spending and the such. We were satisfied last season and this season we anticipated the likes of Dossevi, Caddis and Prutton would be key players and performers. The majority thought this squad was stronger than last season's.

It's easy to say things in hindsight but none of us imagined we'd be where we are now and especially not due to lack of investment (which I don't think is the problem incidentally).

Wilson needs to get the most out of the players like he did last season. Hopefully he'll tell them to buck their ideas up or they're out of the squad and eventually out of the club. With injuries and suspensions he hasn't got the luxury to do that right now though.
Reeeeeves

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 20:04:22 »

Thought that was what we've been doing?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 20:14:48 »

Thought that was what we've been doing?

or trying to, along with the other 23 clubs in the league.

A case of easier said than done.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 22:01:59 »

And you know that do you? Seen the wage bill? Even if true, I'd be willing to bet Douglas, Prutton, Caddis, Rose, Ferry all will be on bigger wages than what we'd been paying last season. Even with two out, that'd be a substantial increase.
Don't think you are knocking them, I just think you're underestimating where the spend has gone in and to what extent. You're making assumptions on the basis of an incomplete picture (as am I to be fair) and neither of us know whether it's actually true or not, so to draw conclusions from a flawed premise like that is, IMO, something of a fool's game
adje

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 23:01:58 »

We can't make major changes until January. Until then Wilson needs to get the best out of the players which is something he managed to do really well last season.

For those moaning about lack of spending and the such. We were satisfied last season and this season we anticipated the likes of Dossevi, Caddis and Prutton would be key players and performers. The majority thought this squad was stronger than last season's.

It's easy to say things in hindsight but none of us imagined we'd be where we are now and especially not due to lack of investment (which I don't think is the problem incidentally).

Wilson needs to get the most out of the players like he did last season. Hopefully he'll tell them to buck their ideas up or they're out of the squad and eventually out of the club. With injuries and suspensions he hasn't got the luxury to do that right now though.

Agreed SP-pretty much everyone was impressed with our new signings before they'd kicked a ball for us

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: