Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smith's Turn?  (Read 6930 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 14:44:51 »

It isn't utter bollocks.

Smith has been the better of the two this season.

We'll have to agree to disagree
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 17:19:42 »

I think it's time Smith got a decent chance. It was only last week or the week before that Wilson was claiming they were pretty much level pegging. Lucas has made a few decent saves this season but he's also made some mistakes the worse being last night's. On the other hand Smith has come in when Lucas has not been fit and has done nothing wrong. I'd be tempted to change it. After all it wouldn't be right for Wilson to have Lucas believe he's untouchable when he's making errors IMO.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 17:31:06 »

This thread is a complete over reaction, before last night we had conceded just 1 goal in 5 games.  The defence look alot more confident with Lucas behind him as he commands his box, organises the defence and is much more dominant.  Lucas has made mistakes but Phil Smith has also made plenty, I agree with the earlier comments Smith is a good backup but Lucas should remain our number 1.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 17:57:18 »

On the first page pauld and Arriba both hit the nail on the head.

Would be very silly to drop him, can't see it happening.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:12:30 »

Yes, I'd have Phil Smith back in for Saturday.

...but...thats not just because Lucas has cost us a few goals this season. I firmly believe if you come in and play well you keep the shirt. Since Wilson has been here Smith has been faultless.

He came back in for Brez at the end of the Malpas/Wilson season and played a huge part that often gets over looked in that final push to get away from the bottom 4. Last season every time he was called upon he was decent, putting in many match winning performances - most notably Southampton away and Charlton in the Play Offs.

I would have had him in at Wembley and I would have had him as first choice since then. He's come in played well and has deserved to keep the shirt and he hasnt. Outfield players have.

As many decent saves as Lucas has made between his mistakes, Smith has made just as many decent saves in the games he has played.

Do not agree with this comment in any shape or form. Lucas played the whole season and hardly put a foot wrong. Smith had a good semi final but no way should he have taken Lucas' place. Like saying we shouldve kept Paynter on the bench because Ward had a very good game in the first leg against Charlton.

It has been mentioned numerous times before. But Lucas offers so much more than Smith. He adds alot more experience to the defence, hes alot more vocal than Smith.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:16:02 »

We should have kept Paynter on the bench because Ward had a very good game in the first leg against Charlton.

Although I expect that was much to do with AOB not being able to manage another game within a few days what with no having played for the previous 6 months.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:19:07 »

We should have kept Paynter on the bench because Ward had a very good game in the first leg against Charlton.

Although I expect that was much to do with AOB not being able to manage another game within a few days what with no having played for the previous 6 months.

Haha fair enough..

Lucas was a pivotal part in getting us to Wembley in my opinion (maybe not yours). Do you not think that was a good enough reason to play him.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:23:06 by jb » Logged
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:27:44 »

Or Paynter being our top scorer?
jb

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:31:23 »

Excactly.

So you would've dropped Lucas and Paynter.  Im not Jose Mourinho but don't think that would've been the best choice.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:32:28 »

Haha fair enough..

Lucas was a pivotal part in getting us to Wembley in my opinion (maybe not yours). Do you not think that was a good enough reason to play him.

Dont get me wrong, Lucas certainly played his part over the season but when off injured the game before. Smith came in and played a huge part in getting us to Wembley.

Lucas was rushed back and imo didnt look 100%. Almost concious of a bad landing or something. I also think he got caught out for the Millwall goal. It sounds like a hindsight but I said on the coach on the way up id start Smith.

He was injured. It showed.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:35:10 »

Dont get me wrong, Lucas certainly played his part over the season but when off injured the game before. Smith came in and played a huge part in getting us to Wembley.

Lucas was rushed back and imo didnt look 100%. Almost concious of a bad landing or something. I also think he got caught out for the Millwall goal. It sounds like a hindsight but I said on the coach on the way up id start Smith.

He was injured. It showed.

Disagree. Both would not have played unless fully fit
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:37:26 »

You cant possibly tell me Paynter was fully fit for the play off semi final second leg and the final, because he wasnt.

Anyone could see that.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:42:26 »

You cant possibly tell me Paynter was fully fit for the play off semi final second leg and the final, because he wasnt.

Anyone could see that.

His body was.............but the grey matter was more concerned of preserving what he had for Leeds.
He wasn't....and didn't want to put his head or his body in ware it hurt.
Dont blame him as he wanted his big move with the big money...........so he shouldn't have played in either games  when the club knew he was deffo on his way.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:44:47 »

Anyone could see that.

He didn't look as explosive as usual that's for sure, but should'nt have been dropped.

I always thought if Ward played up front he would've got 30+ goals, when he was on the last man he was uncontrollable. However in my opinion, the semi final and final is a bit late to be tinkering with the team we had throughout the season and got us to that stage.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 19:50:10 »

I wouldnt have tinkered with it - unless forced to.

Lucas went off injured against Charlton which forced the change of keeper and Paynter missed the first game through injury and clearly wasnt fit for the next two.

Forced changes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: