Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: greer  (Read 102074 times)
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #540 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:12:13 »

One thing i will criticise Fitton and the board for is the fact that they don't seem to tie players up to longer contracts quick enough, They always leave it too late.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Fitton. I think that some players perform better knowing they have to work for their money, others need security. Obviously its down to the individual player, but you want people to perform as best they can and if someone needs a kick up the backside by saying hang on a sec, we're not gonna sign you up next season, then so be it.
glos_robin

« Reply #541 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:12:33 »

A final worry for me is that Poyet and Wilson are both operating in the same market. Poyets obviously assessed the available free transfers and decided a bid for Greer was the best option ahead of any freebies.  Wilson may have an advantage thanks to many years of experience but it does worry me that they had to resort to buying one of our players as they deemed that there was no one suitable for what they wanted, and now that same type of player is what we need so we need to try and pull something out of the bag.
Barry Scott

« Reply #542 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:18:43 »

One thing i will criticise Fitton and the board for is the fact that they don't seem to tie players up to longer contracts quick enough, They always leave it too late.

Why haven't they sat down with Cuthbert, Douglas, Lucas etc? Same mistake made with Paynter last summer they should have tied him down to a 2 or 3 year contract had they done it then there was a good chance he would have signed.

Are they going to leave it until the end of the year or January to sit down with the likes of Cuthbert and risk losing him and the others for nothing next summer? Or get a tribunal fee for Cuthbert and we all know how crap tribunal fee's are.

That's total bollocks. We only signed Greer last season. He'd just come out of a bad injury, If we'd gave him a 3 year contract and he was shit or broken, they'd be absolute outrage. The same is true of Paynter in that before last season he was replaceable and now of course looks great, but hindsight makes us all intelligent.

With regard to current players, how do you know that we're not currently sat down with Cuthbert, Dougie, Lucas etc? We could well be and the result of sitting down with Greer might have been him saying he won't decide until the end of the season, therefore selling him is the right course of action in my eyes. The trouble is we don't know.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:19:11 »

Got rid of the quote. No need to get rid of quote above; I like the fact we're discussing something no one saw. It's makes us seem like members of some sort of elite insiders club. Cool
Splendid. Are we a clique now then?
Panda Paws

« Reply #544 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:19:33 »

But we have proven time and again there are good players, particularly north of the border, that can be sucured cheaply. Brighton are fans of the marquee, flash signing where as DW is shrewder, and with the links we have in place tend to pick up good players on the cheap
uopuims

« Reply #545 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:24:21 »

This sounds like a really queer deal.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:25:24 »

only one thing you'll criticise them about? makes a change.

disappointed to see him leave and incredibly surprised but i'll take £250k.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:40:28 »

Ifils coming back Cheesy
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:56:34 »

Its disappointing - even more so for him if Brighton do somehow manage to get out of this division as he'll be surplus to requirements in the Championship!

Greer is a good league one defender, nothing more, nothing less and I am confident he can be replaced - Perhaps by someone who doesn't give away as many silly fouls and has a bit of pace. (Trying to find positives)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 16:11:44 »

I really don't know what to make of this, it seems a low fee to sell your captain for and while Greer was a great leader, I'm not sure he was in the top 5 players I'd want to keep but still, it's the message this sends out. Weird.

Makes you wonder if there was anything in the rumours about him and Cuthbert falling out.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 16:36:11 »

You watch, we'll be fired up and smash Brighton first game.

Send them home with egg all over their not so smug faces.
That'll make a change from sperm then.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Bert1981

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 16:39:54 »

Very odd, £250,000 is quite a lot for a 29 year old league 1 centre back, but he was our captain and a great leader so worth more than that to us. There must be more to him leaving than meets the eye.

We need to replace him with someone of similar experience, because I wouldn't be too happy with Morrison or LJF as first choice alongside Cuthbert.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 16:40:51 »

We'll def miss his experience and leadership and defending abiity, this showed at Wembley. However, we will NOT miss the lack of pace, silly free kicks, hot n cold form and the bickering. I think a GG replacement should now be forefront in DW/AF's mind. Ive no doubt in Lucas/Dougie's ability  to lead the team its just we need some old head experience at the back.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 17:04:13 »

I don't like to criticize Town players here unless they're really no use to us even as squad members.  GG offered crucially organisational skills at the back.

I had however grown worried that his personal contribution was leaving us increasingly vulnerable.  He was useless against pace and often gave away dangerous free kicks by being a fraction slow. 

His sending off at the Valley came from an initially good tackle executed just too slowly and without thought for how it would end up.   A cringeworthy performance for a captain at home to Rovers last year - you can't boo your own captain mid match for being slow but I can say now that it was time to say thank you and pocket some cash.

Although Lecs and Morrison have potential, they would have to improve to satisfactorily partner Cuthbert.  I would like a replacement signing too, but at least Sean and Lecs can improve - GG won't be getting any pacier and was a Donny reserve before he came here, so thanks GG and adios.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 17:21:19 »

Christ, how many 'silly' free kicks did Greer give away? 1,000 how many led to goals.

He leaves a huge gap and personally I think it will take more than 250k to fill it.

Greer, Sheehan, Ferry, Ward and Paynter - 5 from our regular XI from last season.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: