Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: greer  (Read 102213 times)
dell boy

« Reply #525 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:07:42 »

Meh. As long as we sign a decent enough replacement I'm not too bothered. He was very sloppy towards the end of the season, isn't getting any younger and has a dodgy injury past.

Would have liked another 100k though

He has gone very cheaply, his form did tail off near the end of the season, we will definitely miss his experience.
Barry Scott

« Reply #526 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:08:36 »

Sorry Barry, I'm on a post rage rampage today. Raaaaahhhhhhh!

Feel free to delete my reply (and this one just to tidy up the trail) if you'd like to delete all memories of it.

Got rid of the quote. No need to get rid of quote above; I like the fact we're discussing something no one saw. It's makes us seem like members of some sort of elite insiders club. Cool
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:15:20 »

God they're getting in a right old tizz that their posts are being deleted.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Barry Scott

« Reply #528 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:20:56 »

Good. Self-righteous mockney wannabe cunts.
Panda Paws

« Reply #529 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:21:30 »

There has to be more to this story. It is good money for someone in the last year of their contract and he is not good enough for the bottom half of the Champ, which is the calibre of player we have been trying to sign, but selling him without a replacement in the pipeline is a mistake in my book unless the club's hand was forced in some way.

He was a very good leader at this level and leaves us with no experienced centre back. I can only assume, as others have said, that we have a replacement lined up because anyone who thinks Morrison or Lex can step in and replace what Greer gave us last season needs a reality check. They're both so naive defensively, which is understandable as they're inexperienced.

We now must bring in an experienced top end L1/bottom half Champ CB as a priority. The captaincy thing doesn't worry me at all as Dougie was more or less the skipper last year anyway, but we need someone to lead the line, and we have all seen at Wembley how unconvincing LJF can be without the experienced head along side him. Cuthbert is immense and would be a bigger loss, but he is not yet good enough/experienced enough to carry the unpredictable LJF or Morrison.

« Last Edit: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:24:38 by Panda Paws » Logged
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:22:59 »

Financially good business when you can get Cuthbert for 100k. We need an experienced head back there though, hope there is something lined up. Also does nothing to promote the team as moving forward when you sell your captain. Hope some new faces are seen soon as currently our squad is weaker than the one that ended last season. Good luck to Greer, always gave his most here. Hope he's crying on the sidelines when we destroy them aug 7th
Spencer_White

« Reply #531 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:28:21 »

You watch, we'll be fired up and smash Brighton first game.

Send them home with egg all over their not so smug faces.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:32:30 »

He has gone very cheaply.

£250k for a 29yo in his last year of his contract is not 'very cheap' but admit it looks like a better deal for Brighton than us (in a purely financial way).
Panda Paws

« Reply #533 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:33:32 »

the age thing with a CB is a bit irrelevant is it not? As a CB he is probably at his peak, and would expect to be at his best for the next three or four years.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:36:41 »

Not sure it's irrelevant, as I've previously said he's probably starting to think about securing the best deal as he's not going to be signing too many more contracts before he hangs up his boots.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:37:47 »

Ok deep breath. Now i have digested the news. I think im more disappointed that we've sold him to a rival league 1 club more than the fact we have sold him.

Cold facts are gordy was a great leader, organiser and has great experience of this level. He was also slow on the turn and prone to giving away late free kicks in and around the box. Of course id like to have seen him here next year but let's just be thankful it was Greer who got sold and not Cuthbert. I don't really care why he's gone, whatever reason it is it's already time to move on.

Bring in an experienced centre back and our squad is still shaping up well. Please don't over react we have alot of experience in our team namely; Lucas, Rose, Douglas, Manks, JP, Prutton. Danny has my full backing. Fitton is a ledge and has my full backing. There is life after greer. Bye Bye Gordy thanks for your efforts....watch your bum bum in your new pastures  Bye

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 14:52:16 »

All the people on here that argued with the Albion fans probably feel a bit foolish. Let them have their fun, wait until we beat them on the pitch, then we'll have the last laugh! Muhahahah

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Barry Scott

« Reply #537 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:02:26 »

Ok deep breath. Now i have digested the news. I think im more disappointed that we've sold him to a rival league 1 club more than the fact we have sold him.

Cold facts are gordy was a great leader, organiser and has great experience of this level. He was also slow on the turn and prone to giving away late free kicks in and around the box. Of course id like to have seen him here next year but let's just be thankful it was Greer who got sold and not Cuthbert. I don't really care why he's gone, whatever reason it is it's already time to move on.

Bring in an experienced centre back and our squad is still shaping up well. Please don't over react we have alot of experience in our team namely; Lucas, Rose, Douglas, Manks, JP, Prutton. Danny has my full backing. Fitton is a ledge and has my full backing. There is life after greer. Bye Bye Gordy thanks for your efforts....watch your bum bum in your new pastures  Bye

Great post. I would be in a murderous mood if it was Cuthbert. I also think i'm more fucked off it's Brighton, than actually losing Greer.

I'm trying to focus on his shortfalls to make it easier to cope with, like his oil tanker turning circle, no pace, climbing on strikers and pointless fouls around the box. That said, he was a great leader and was great with the ball on the floor, which is the hardest thing to replace in a centre half in my mind. Very much out of the Ricardo Carvalho mould of player.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:07:58 »

Greer today, gone on Monday.
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #539 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 15:08:31 »

One thing i will criticise Fitton and the board for is the fact that they don't seem to tie players up to longer contracts quick enough, They always leave it too late.

Why haven't they sat down with Cuthbert, Douglas, Lucas etc? Same mistake made with Paynter last summer they should have tied him down to a 2 or 3 year contract had they done it then there was a good chance he would have signed.

Are they going to leave it until the end of the year or January to sit down with the likes of Cuthbert and risk losing him and the others for nothing next summer? Or get a tribunal fee for Cuthbert and we all know how crap tribunal fee's are.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: