Pages: 1 ... 1534 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 1540 ... 2660   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5199469 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23040 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 09:38:26 »

Smiley smaller than Burslem  Hmmm

Horwich, of course, was a railway works town, like Swindon.  I like Horwich products, always seem a bit eccentric and utilitarian, unike the sexy output from Swindon.

Horwich has a bigger population than Burslem!

Horwich Railway works is in the process of (may actually have been) demolished, yes ground is there - hence the adjacent railway station being Horwich Parkway!

FWIW Horwich is actually nearer Chorley than Bolton anyway!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 09:42:56 by horlock07 » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23041 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:21:01 »

But it's not now.....which is why I said I don't know what it's called. Do you?

I call it Pride Park, though it's now referred to as it's unofficial name, the iPro stadium after the sponsors.

Bolton and Huddersfield have never had a non-sponsored name which make them a slightly different . There are a few other grounds like this, Coventry, Wigan, Chesterfield and Doncaster off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #23042 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:28:35 »

All this reminds me of all the grounds I've watched Town play at that no longer exist - and that the Town End and Stratton Bank are virtually untouched since my first game in 1968.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23043 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:38:20 »

I call it Pride Park, though it's now referred to as it's unofficial name, the iPro stadium after the sponsors.

Bolton and Huddersfield have never had a non-sponsored name which make them a slightly different . There are a few other grounds like this, Coventry, Wigan, Chesterfield and Doncaster off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Peterborough is the Ibax I think.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #23044 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:46:27 »

On the question of grounds, when did Upton Park become the Boleyn? It was always Upton Park when I was growing up.... When did it change?
Flashheart

« Reply #23045 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:49:53 »

It's always been called The Boleyn. Upton Park is the area, not the stadium name.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23046 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 10:59:48 »

On the question of grounds, when did Upton Park become the Boleyn? It was always Upton Park when I was growing up.... When did it change?

They changed the name to Upton Park when the local lawn bowls club moved. This is in contrast to Derby who retained the name 'The Baseball Ground' even when baseball was no longer played at their previous stadium.

You didn't read the previous page Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23047 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 11:00:18 »

One of my favourite STFC games was from a first visit to the Boleyn...Jan 67, for a Cup 3rd round game.

This was the Hammers' team of Moore, Hurst and Peters, the season after winning the WC. 3-3 draw, Hurst hat-trick, the Don got 2, Bobby Moore reduced to professional fouls on the Don as he was never the quickest. Going in a packed North Bank, probabaly wasn't the most sensible option, but it did provide experience in what to do when things kicked off.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #23048 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 11:05:28 »

You didn't read the previous page Smiley

Apologies!
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #23049 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 12:34:33 »

One of my favourite STFC games was from a first visit to the Boleyn...Jan 67, for a Cup 3rd round game.

This was the Hammers' team of Moore, Hurst and Peters, the season after winning the WC. 3-3 draw, Hurst hat-trick, the Don got 2, Bobby Moore reduced to professional fouls on the Don as he was never the quickest. Going in a packed North Bank, probabaly wasn't the most sensible option, but it did provide experience in what to do when things kicked off.

One of mine too. The replay wasn't bad either. 3-1 win with Willie Penman scoring a cracker.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.

Ignore
« Reply #23050 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 23:46:01 »

The west ham love in and the continual reference to the stadium as the "Boleyn ground". I've rarely heard it called that throughout my life although I was aware it was known that way but have heard nothing but Boleyn for the last day or so.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23051 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 10:06:23 »

Quick question, the house we have just bought has a front boundary wall and then beyond that is a piece of land c.6ft wide to the edge of the highway, it is tarmacked and looks like a continuation of the road, however it is our land.

People occasionally park on it and that makes it difficult to get out the drive, and its only going to get worse as they are building houses across the road so visitor will park on the road.

It isn't annoying me yet but will in the future, any ideas what I can do to stop people parking there, I did think about buying a clamp and putting up a sign detailing a release charge but apparently that's not legal?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23052 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 10:09:15 »

Quick question, the house we have just bought has a front boundary wall and then beyond that is a piece of land c.6ft wide to the edge of the highway, it is tarmacked and looks like a continuation of the road, however it is our land.

People occasionally park on it and that makes it difficult to get out the drive, and its only going to get worse as they are building houses across the road so visitor will park on the road.

It isn't annoying me yet but will in the future, any ideas what I can do to stop people parking there, I did think about buying a clamp and putting up a sign detailing a release charge but apparently that's not legal?

Dig it out and plant some trees....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23053 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 10:12:55 »

Dig it out and plant some trees....

I have thought about that but it will cost money and need me to establish exactly where the boundary is and I am a lazy twat!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #23054 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 10:22:52 »

Put a sign up asking not to park there.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 1534 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 1540 ... 2660   Go Up
Print
Jump to: