Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Seasons Squad (2010/11)  (Read 47815 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:31:07 »

Based purely on his performance at the County Ground this season, I'd love to see Ryan Harley of Exeter lining up alongside Dougie next season. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Ferry fan, but he doesn't, as of yet, offer us enough going forward.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:33:01 »

The big problem with the midfield this season was strength, when we were up against a physical team Ferry just couldn't cope and it cost us. So I'd put a midfield "enforcer" high on the list who can do a job when we need it, maybe someone nearing the end of their career with a reputation - they wouldn't have to play many games and maybe not even the full 90 minutes. Though if we do sign Ferry permanently its something they could work on with him.

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:33:25 »

I think it is. Dougie has been immense this season. Class above this league really. If we can sign Ferry we'll have a very strong CM. Might be good to get a decent back up as well although Easton is a pretty decent back up.

both good players,but i dont think a promotion team can accomodate 2 centre mids who can't score goals.ferry at times gets bullied in there too.i'd sign him but not as first choice centre mid.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:35:27 »

The big problem with the midfield this season was strength, when we were up against a physical team Ferry just couldn't cope and it cost us. So I'd put a midfield "enforcer" high on the list who can do a job when we need it, maybe someone nearing the end of their career with a reputation - they wouldn't have to play many games and maybe not even the full 90 minutes. Though if we do sign Ferry permanently its something they could work on with him.

What's Lee Collins doing these days?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:37:08 »

both good players,but i dont think a promotion team can accomodate 2 centre mids who can't score goals.ferry at times gets bullied in there too.i'd sign him but not as first choice centre mid.

Fair point. We do lack goals from midfield. Only Ward has chipped in with a decent tally this season from the left. If the strikers are scoring goals though (which they have been this season) then why worry?

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:40:21 »

Fair point. We do lack goals from midfield. Only Ward has chipped in with a decent tally this season from the left. If the strikers are scoring goals though (which they have been this season) then why worry?

because on the days your forwards get shackled,you need goals from elsewhere.i think that was the difference between us getting promoted,or not as it turned out.
Talk Talk

« Reply #81 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:41:33 »

because on the days your forwards get shackled,you need goals from elsewhere.i think that was the difference between us getting promoted,or not as it turned out.

I think the difference between us getting promoted or not were the late goals conceded for a large part of the season.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:45:35 »

I think the difference between us getting promoted or not were the late goals conceded for a large part of the season.

Then again, if a few more players had chipped in with a some goals, those late goals conceded would not have mattered as we would have been two or three up.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:47:40 »

The difference was Exeter and Walsall at home...we were favourites then and couldnt handle the pressure of those two matches,in my opinion they were matches we would have won before we got to the 2nd place position.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:49:21 »

we've tried it before and it's not always worked.

paul smith, lilian nalis etc.

Talk Talk

« Reply #85 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:57:03 »

Then again, if a few more players had chipped in with a some goals, those late goals conceded would not have mattered as we would have been two or three up.

True. But more so this:

The difference was Exeter and Walsall at home...we were favourites then and couldnt handle the pressure of those two matches,in my opinion they were matches we would have won before we got to the 2nd place position.

And probably a major factor in yesterday's display, along with Millwall being very physical.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 12:44:07 »

each to their own...but no there wasn't

There was - Kevin Amankwaah and David Lucas for a start.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 12:46:32 »

we've tried it before and it's not always worked.

paul smith, lilian nalis etc.

Not forgetting the fantastic on a 3 year deal Gareth Whalley.

I dont see the problem with Ferry, he's been pretty much top class in his first full season of professional football ever after alot of injuries.

I hope we sign him and I have no problem with him and Douglas being our two first choice midfielders next season.
skin_im_buzzer

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 12:55:30 »

This is only my humble opinion, but I think we should only get rid of LJF when we have someone better to replace him with.

Against Charlton in the 2nd leg, and at Wembley he was woeful, but looking across our team a lot of the disappointing performances were down to lack of experience in the big games...I think it's fair to say that Charlie, Ward, Ferry and LJF all had below-par games and these are the least experienced players in the squad.

If we're to challenge next season, I think we need to ensure we have the right amount of experience to deal with these high pressure games.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sign Ferry...On his day he's quality, but we need alternatives with equal quality and experience to deal with the big occasion.

Lastly, if we can keep O Brien fit, I think he'll be quality, but it's a massive "if". We need a decent back-up/alternative should he struggle for fitness again next season.

I wouldn't mind seeing JPM in centre mid and getting in a couple of Right midfielders - as I think JPM and Dougie could work together in the centre.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 13:23:31 »

There were a number of games this season where Ferry went missing, the games that were more physical with the opposition trying to stop us playing our game. Maybe he'll get better next season, I think he will, but I still think having someone to come in for certain games and bang a few heads would be a good addition to the squad.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: