Poll
Question: Who will/did you vote for in the general election?  (Voting closed: Monday, May 10, 2010, 10:23:36)
Conservatives - 28 (24.1%)
Labour - 22 (19%)
Lib-Dems - 40 (34.5%)
UKIP - 6 (5.2%)
BNP - 6 (5.2%)
Greens - 5 (4.3%)
Other - 9 (7.8%)
Total Voters: 90

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who will/did you vote for on 6th May General Election  (Read 42364 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:43:31 »

Deputy PM according to the rumours, David Laws to Education, Ashdown to Defence and Vince Cable as Osborne's deputy (minder) supposedly. Chris Huhne somewhere, not sure where yet.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:43:33 »

It'll also be interesting to see what position Clegg is given.

Deputy PM.

Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:44:13 »

It'll also be interesting to see what position Clegg is given.

I reckon it depends on how much the Torys wanted them onside. The Libs could pretty much ask for what they wanted within reason, so I wouldnt be surprised to see Clegg get a pretty prestigious position.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:56:11 »

Again though, what the Tories did in the past doesn't mean they'll act in the same way now... a long time has past since they were last in power. I don't know, maybe i'm just being blindly hopeful... A lot of people (and i don't mean you, Jim!) seem to just hate the Tories because it's cool to do so

At it's heart, just as Labour is still essentially at the whim of Unions even if it's got better at directing them, the Tories are run by a bunch of rabid loons from the old families and ageing daily mail lead paranoids out to look after themselves.  They've just realised they need someone a little more pallatable upfront.

The mechanisms mean that the party faithfull eventualy push more and more for their policies to be carried out.  Just look at Portillo, an absolute pompous twat when in a position within the cabinet facing up the party. As soon as he released himself from HQ and was allowed to express his own opinions he seemed, and still does, eminently intellingent and sensible.

I'd be far happier if MP's from all sides were just alowed to represent their constituents using their own principles in line with some over arching party themese and policies.  That way, PR and hung parliaments can and do work.

The Liberals strength in local politics, which has also been their weakness in National elections, has been that they pretty much react to local issues and allow party members to be as mad or as sensible as they like to be.  It means nobody wants to vote them in to run the country though.

Hopefully they will stay this way and make the Tories keep the rank and file in their cages for a few months.  I think once some form of PR or voting reform is put forward it will lead to an election pretty much straight after.

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 22:37:05 »

we've all been con-dem'd
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 22:45:51 »

The last person to enter parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes  Cheesy
Talk Talk

« Reply #366 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 23:01:40 »

Still a load of old fuck.

What a lot of bollocks. Spineless tories meet more red than commie progressives.

Hopefully the whole country will implode in six months and I will be the first on the barricades.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 23:07:58 »

Hush now, the grown-ups are talking
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 23:10:38 »

I'm mystified why people are associating the tories with job losses. Much of their pre-election rhetoric about the economy focussed in job creation.

Unless you mean the public sector, where its very much needed.  The public / private employment balance in this country is unsustainable and needs addressing ASAP.
Talk Talk

« Reply #369 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 23:31:41 »

Hush now, the grown-ups are talking

Shhh. You will disturb them.
Talk Talk

« Reply #370 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 23:35:24 »

Unless you mean the public sector, where its very much needed.  The public / private employment balance in this country is unsustainable and needs addressing ASAP.

The public sector needs an axe through it and quick. Preferably pared to nothing and let the private sector take up the employees through freeing up the regulation and the government monopolies on health, education, transport and everything else.

Astute man that Mr Todd when the public sector is now bigger than the private in terms of GDP. Which sector generates wealth?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 00:09:51 »

It all comes down to political ideals, I'm sure half the shit gets overlooked/exaggerated to suit anyway. Tories may be Oxbridge educated posh toffs, but so are most of Labour these days.
Labour's ideals can look good on paper, but are not sustainable in practice. Likewise I'm sure the Tories efficiency targets sound better in theory than in practice.

So what do we need then? More balance? If so then PR may be a suitable solution. I cannot help but feel it's just going to make voters more apathetic towards politics, because if it's workable things might just become too balanced. It may be good for the country, but for the individual it'll be hard to see where their own political ideals fit within such a system.

A lot of people aren't going to like this fact but out of the main parties the Tories are probably the ones to have in at the moment. We're still in a tricky economic climate and this is the party (out of the 'big three') who will do the most for the private sector and the economy which is surely the most important issue right now. Sure, a lot of people are going to be fucked over too but you can't keep everyone happy. That's not to say it's the way to go for the foreseeable future mind.

I just wish a party would come along and say "you know what, we fucked up in the past. We did this when we should have done that. We've learned from this and our strategy for the future will mean this does not happen again. The country doesn't need change, the country needs our party to change."
Instead we get the blame game, 'vote for change' (I'll be fucking flabbergasted), we're better than this party because, television debates with next to no substance.

The sooner the politicians grow some bollocks, the sooner I'll vote for them.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 06:45:19 »

I'm mystified why people are associating the tories with job losses. Much of their pre-election rhetoric about the economy focussed in job creation.

Possibly something to do with...the previous Tory administration overseeing a rise in unemployment from 700,000 to 3,000,000.. just a guess like.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 08:00:32 »

And what is it now?  and who is responsible for that? And whats the real unemployment figure? And how many people are in made up public sector non jobs?

Its easy to play the historical blame game. The ruling party of whatever persuasion has fucked right up at some point in history.  I know which party has a better history of sound economic management.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 08:19:39 »

And what is it now?  and who is responsible for that?

There is high unemployment due to the global economic crisis. Which obviously all the fault of just one man - Gordon Brown.

Come on! You can't blame the whole recession on Gordon or even on Labour.

I don't believe for a second without the benefit of hindsight the Conservatives would have had a completely different economic policy in regard to the banks. Laissez faire economics is surely what got us into this mess, isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: