Poll
Question: Who will/did you vote for in the general election?  (Voting closed: Monday, May 10, 2010, 10:23:36)
Conservatives - 28 (24.1%)
Labour - 22 (19%)
Lib-Dems - 40 (34.5%)
UKIP - 6 (5.2%)
BNP - 6 (5.2%)
Greens - 5 (4.3%)
Other - 9 (7.8%)
Total Voters: 90

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who will/did you vote for on 6th May General Election  (Read 42297 times)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 20:29:55 »

in most european countries, this would never have been an issue - everyone has been predicting a hung parliament for months but nobody considered the possibility of a coalition prior to the election.

They did, they just assumed it would be lad/lib. Well I did anyway. I was convinced that was what was gonna happen.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 20:53:07 »

Why don't we form a coalition with say Stockport?
We'd now be top of the league and heading for the Championship!
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 20:55:28 »

Quite a negative reaction to the outcome of this election... why noy greet it with an open mind, see what happens?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 20:56:29 »

Quite a negative reaction to the outcome of this election... why noy greet it with an open mind, see what happens?

Fuck you!

We're all doomed, DOOMED I TELL THEE!

(I agree with you, though)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:06:23 »

It's got to be better than a Tory majority.

Electoral reform could be good but I would much prefer a single transferable vote system (more proper PR) to an alternative vote system.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:08:27 »

because we've ended up with the one thing i didn't want - a government involving tories

i'm sure that it will benefit plenty of people and that plenty of people will be happy tonight but i'm not one of them!
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:13:54 »

Again though, what the Tories did in the past doesn't mean they'll act in the same way now... a long time has past since they were last in power. I don't know, maybe i'm just being blindly hopeful... A lot of people (and i don't mean you, Jim!) seem to just hate the Tories because it's cool to do so

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:24:42 »

I didn't want a Tory government but seems to me this is the least worst outcome. Labour couldn't continue, that would have been a farce, and (as FB said) hopefully this way at least the Tories worst excesses will be constrained.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:26:40 »

I didn't want a Tory government but seems to me this is the least worst outcome. Labour couldn't continue, that would have been a farce, and (as FB said) hopefully this way at least the Tories worst excesses will be constrained.

Would pretty much agree with that, although least worst would have been this with Cable or Clark as chancellor instead of Obsborne.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:28:54 »

i think people ought to be wary of the tories based on past events but equally the current party should be judged on what they achieve.

i'm anti-tory, i'm far from cool.

cameron's done fuck all for his constituency except build a useless but pretty shopping centre so perhaps i'm more biased than some.

my worry is that the key tory policies don't deliver what i want - electoral reform, no repeal of the hunting act, better tax, an elected house of lords etc... a lot of the tory policies are irrelevent to me as an unemployed unmarried 24 year old.

whoever is in power will have to make drastic and severe cutes, so in that respect it makes little difference who is in power. i suppose on reflection a tory lib dem coalition is preferable to a tory majority, so i won't need to plan my suicide yet.

regardless i think the whole thing will be too unstable to last and we'll be back at the polling stations within 12-18 months, hopefully subsequent to electoral reform
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:30:31 »

Would pretty much agree with that, although least worst would have been this with Cable or Clark as chancellor instead of Obsborne.
I reckon (hope) Cable will be Chief Secretary to the Treasury pulling all the strings with Osbourne a figurehead chancellor - he gets to do all the gawping hopelessly in front of the cameras but back in the office they hide all the pens and calculators from him and just give him an abacus to play with (See the pretty coloured beads George) while Cable does the work.

Kind of like when clubs appoint the "Big name ex-player" manager but get a proper manager in as assistant to do the actual work while new boy looks pretty on Sky.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:32:17 »

Again though, what the Tories did in the past doesn't mean they'll act in the same way now...

It is a bit different to last time they were in because...

1) The liberal democrats are in with them and will have some influence

and

2) Just as labour became more like the Torys and changed into New Labour to get into power in 1997 so the Torys have become more like New Labour to get into power this election. Well, they've changed their "image" at least.

Having said that I don't like the conservatives and Cameron is a cunt. I also really didn't want them in power and I don't believe they've completely changed at all. People will lose jobs.

I don't hope it won't be exactly the same as conservative governments were in the 80s/90s.

There is a big positive from an anti - whoever was in we knew they'd have to make cuts and put up taxes. Now it's the conservatives they will be harsher than labour would have been but at least it will ensure they lose the next election in a couple of years.  Cheesy

If labour get their shit together they can be a strong opposition and should win the next election easily.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:32:38 »

Ken Clark was the Chancellor last time our economy was in this much shit, whether he made it worse or not Im too young to know. Interesting that he might get given that position again, or will it go to a Lib Dem? Dont think theyve sorted out who's going to go where in the Cabinet at the mo.

I agree with Nemo above.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:37:55 »

regardless i think the whole thing will be too unstable to last and we'll be back at the polling stations within 12-18 months, hopefully subsequent to electoral reform

Knowing a referendum on electoral reform is wanted so badly by the lib dems I wouldn't be surprised if the Torys don't put off holding that referendum for as long as possible as after it's been held there's less reason for the coalition to stay together. Or looking at it the other way round you could say as they need the lib dem votes the lib dems can pressure them into holding the referendum earlier. Be interesting to see which way that one goes.

I don't think they will let a lib dem be chancellor.

It'll also be interesting to see what position Clegg is given.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 21:40:21 »

Cameron's fag
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: