Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some people......  (Read 6461 times)
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 22:39:49 »

The last couple of games have reminded me very much of that season. I particularly remember Doncaster at home, who were fighting relelgation. We were expecting to coast to victory but only drew 1-1 thanks to a very late equalizer..sound familiar? Hmmm

The 1986/87 comparisions are also there in terms of the number of points accumulated as a higher than average, we finished 3rd on 87 points which in normal circumstances would get you auto. Would be interesting to comapre the quality of the 1986/87 squad with our current one given the depth of the division this year and big budgets.

Lucas or Digby, Calderwood or Cuthbert, Chris Kamara or Douglas, Quinny, Bambi & Chalkie as a strike partnership compared with Billy Paynter and Charlie Austin. Would probably take Simon Ferry over Lee Barnard though.I think the 1986/7 squad might well win that one as the heart of that squad went onto to prove themselves at a higher level for a number of years. Maybe, just maybe this current squad might go onto to similar success if we make it and might need a late goal from a local lad called Charlie!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 05:50:27 »

this current squad might go onto to similar success if we make it and might need a late goal from a local lad called Charlie!

Spooky Huh?
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 08:51:46 »

I think the biggest frustration is that we have actually played alright in the last 3 games yet only managed 2 points.

Is it bad luck, bad finishing, bad defending, good opposition goalkeeping, nerves?  I think its all of the above.  I didnt go to colchester but can say from the last 2 homes games that we were the better side and but for some superb defending and goalkeeping (especially the save from JPM's volley on Saturday) we would have won.  We could have played better, but were far from being shit.

Saturday was especially frustrating as we all knew that the other teams were losing. 1 lucky deflection could have put us in pole position for auto promotion.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 21:55:13 »

Agree completely. I bloody hope we don't let in a last-minute equaliser and go out on penalties again, though.

Yep, some bloke called Mooney decided not to bother tracking Adam Virgo properly = goal........then he missed his penalty........then he signed for O*ford.

A 'nice' ending to what had previously been an excellent season for him.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 22:10:03 »

Yep, some bloke called Mooney decided not to bother tracking Adam Virgo properly = goal........then he missed his penalty........then he signed for O*ford.

A 'nice' ending to what had previously been an excellent season for him.

To add to the conspiracy theories a friend of mine, who lives in Solihull where Mooney was living at the time (a quick trip down the M40 to Oxford), heard that Mooney had a rather expensive summer holiday booked around the time of the play off finals. Mind you Alan Reeves had the chance to clear the ball properly and didn't do so.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 22:44:46 »

I didn't mean that I thought he did it deliberately - just that he fucked up then fucked off to you-know-where.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: