Poll
Question: who are you planning to vote for?
Conservative
Labour
Liberal Democrats
BNP
Green Party
UKIP
Other/not voting

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: general election called for 6th may  (Read 8371 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:18:00 »

I hope people go out and vote instead of whinging and moaning or spoiling the ballot.

Should make it a days holiday...and it should be online for people who cant get out.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:21:55 »

Online voting is a good idea, but I wonder how many people bother with voting by proxy.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:23:19 »

or postal voting
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:24:14 »

Apparently 20% by post is expected this year. Gosh!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:25:42 »

And all will be delivered on the 7th of May!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:34:44 »

Good point Paul but they are on incredibly good money,alot more than Anne Snelgrove recieves...they should be delivering a good service for the citizens they represent...it shouldnt come as a suprise.
I don't think councillors are salaried, though, I know they get reasonable allowances/expenses but it's not more than MPs' pay. Think you're confusing council officers with councillors.

You're right, it shouldn't come as a surprise but they all did come through, both Anne S at MP level (and her staff who were brilliant) and Rod Bluh et al at local level - and the ward councillors as well, come to that. I just thought it was worth bringing in what is admittedly only my own experience as a counterbalance to the "they're all useless tossers" viewpoint often aimed at both MPs and councillors.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:40:33 »

Agreed..my sister had a problem so i got in touch with Mr Tomlinson...he got in touch with Rod Bluh.
He got things sorted...we all think they are worthless..untill the day comes we need them and generally they do a good job.
Moose

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:03:22 »

Good point Paul but they are on incredibly good money,alot more than Anne Snelgrove recieves...they should be delivering a good service for the citizens they represent...it shouldnt come as a suprise.

The SBC basic allowance for 2010/11 is £7,633. Obviously you get nice addons for sitting on various committees etc... But from experience it wouldn't be too much more. I'd be surprised if Bluh, as Leader, saw more than £15k total.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/yourcouncil/electoral/wanttobeacouncillor.htm
Talk Talk

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:13:20 »

The SBC basic allowance for 2010/11 is £7,633. Obviously you get nice addons for sitting on various committees etc... But from experience it wouldn't be too much more. I'd be surprised if Bluh, as Leader, saw more than £15k total.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/yourcouncil/electoral/wanttobeacouncillor.htm

Cllr Bluh is on about £21k IIRC. Way below what he was earning as a full time partner in an accountancy practice.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:45:07 »

It seems Lib Dem are becoming an increasingly popular option, but most people tempted to vote for them are either too apathetic to vote or don't think they'll win so vote for one of the other big two.  If enough people vote for Lib Dem this time around and they run one of the other bigger parties close, then that may well pave the way for a Lib Dem government in the future.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:53:24 »

It seems Lib Dem are becoming an increasingly popular option, but most people tempted to vote for them are either too apathetic to vote or don't think they'll win so vote for one of the other big two.  If enough people vote for Lib Dem this time around and they run one of the other bigger parties close, then that may well pave the way for a Lib Dem government in the future.

yeah i was thinking this.
i've always voted labour previously in general elections,but was only going to do so to keep the tories out this time.
changed my mind and will be voting lib dem, even if it has no effect on the outcome.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:53:43 »

I'm not all that knowledgable on politics to be fair, but from what I've read I think I'll end up voting Lib Dem. Shame they won't get there, but I suppose if enough people think like me then you never know!
Barry Scott

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 22:03:14 »

Someone needs to start a vote Lib Dems Facebook group. Always works. I stopped killing puppies when i got 100,000 members to my page.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 09:33:40 »

Ive never voted Labour, and prob wont be this election, Have never spoilt my ballot either. I usually go for an independant.

Why? Because I cant trust the smug politcal spinning gravy train chasing wankers for Lib Dems/Labour/Tories. However, I would prefer Cameron as PM then 'jump on the band wagon Brown'. Of course he is going to cheer on England at the World Cup, Hes a fucking sweaty sock!!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 09:47:30 »

Given that there is a realistic prospect of a hung parliament for the first time since the 1970s, the usual argument against voting for the Lib Dems ('they'll never get in anyway') disappears.  I think they could perform quite strongly this time around as people realise this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: