Poll
Question: who are you planning to vote for?
Conservative
Labour
Liberal Democrats
BNP
Green Party
UKIP
Other/not voting

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: general election called for 6th may  (Read 8354 times)
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 15:43:57 »

I dont know,most likely Lib Dem but im  put off by the fact that she appears to live in Wincanton.The Labour Candidates seems to have been parachuted in from Stanwell which I think is in London?I think if you are going to represent a town its good manners to have at least lived there a year or 2 which leaves Tomlinson and that is completly out of the question because ill never vote conservative.Im looking forward to it,I booked a ticket  for the Swindon Question Time at the Wyvern,i'll decide after that.

Agree with this. I'm not making a party political point as the tories in swindon seem more local, it just seems like the right thing do do and would put me off voting for anyone not local. How is anyone supposed to represent a community when they barely know where it is, let alone this issue there.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 16:55:23 »

hasn't robert buckland, the swindon south candidate, only recently moved to the area?
i may have it wrong, but didn't think he lived locally.
Talk Talk

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 17:02:00 »

hasn't robert buckland, the swindon south candidate, only recently moved to the area?
i may have it wrong, but didn't think he lived locally.

<temporarily suspending my non-comment status on a point of fact>

No, you are right. He was parachuted in from South Wales at the last General Election. He is yet another lawyer (as are loads of MPs). He has since become a governor of Ridgeway school and has an address in Wroughton - not sure if he actually lives there - in an attempt to be a Swindonian. Nanny Snelgrove came from Stroud and the LibDim candidate at the last GE was from Newbury.

Justin T is the only major party candidate this time around who has local bragging rights, having been in Swindon for (I guess) over ten years, he moved here from Bracknell.

It used to bother me where they came from but not any more. Most MPs only live in the Westminster bubble anyway.

</temporarily suspending my non-comment status on a point of fact>

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 17:09:16 »

reason i raised that is because i had his propganda leaflet throught the door today, it was going on about him living here.

i think snelgrove is fucking useless and a career mp too.when she stood outside the post offices with the protesters for photos, then days later voted to have them shut that was it for me.she dont give a shit and will do as she's told.i liked julia drown.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 17:15:36 »

The Lib Dems currently hold my constituency and the tories have the non-dom cunt goldsmith as candidate so my vote is definitely for the Libs this time.
Talk Talk

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 17:30:50 »

reason i raised that is because i had his propganda leaflet throught the door today, it was going on about him living here.

Natch. Complete propaganda. He's still a Welsh tosser.

I think snelgrove is fucking useless and a career mp too.when she stood outside the post offices with the protesters for photos, then days later voted to have them shut that was it for me.she dont give a shit and will do as she's told.i liked julia drown.

Yeah, Julia was half decent.

I agree about Nannie, she is actually a PA (or similar) to Brown now. I went to the HoP a couple of years ago to petition her about something only to be told she was on Eurostar on her way to Brussels for a very important meeting. Which is symptomatic about how important her constituency is to her. I hate the bitch.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 18:47:49 »

Agree with this. I'm not making a party political point as the tories in swindon seem more local, it just seems like the right thing do do and would put me off voting for anyone not local. How is anyone supposed to represent a community when they barely know where it is, let alone this issue there.

Agree....thats why Brown should fuck off back to Scotland...meddling in English affairs.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 19:11:14 »

Julie Drown was a good, honest, decent person who cared about her constituents. She helped a friend of mine when she didn't need to. I'm a Labour man but they are an absolute fucking basket case. When I think of Tories I think of smug, conceited public schoolboys - Cameron and Osborne play the roles beautifully plus I could never vote for a party that had Thatcher amongst their ranks - evil bitch. The Lib Dems - what do they stand for
There are going to be alot of votes cast for UKIP,Green and BNP at this election - not enough to win a seat but they will be real "nuisance" value for Labour and Tory alike.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 19:23:41 »

Julie Drown was fit!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Talk Talk

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 19:25:31 »

Julie Drown was fit!

Still is mate  Wink
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 19:47:43 »

Julie Drown was a good, honest, decent person who cared about her constituents. She helped a friend of mine when she didn't need to.

Anne Snelgrove cares as well and helps a lot of people (me included).

But helping constituents is in their job description and they have staff that solely deal with such things - I doubt the MP actually has anything to do with the routine stuff. So I'm not sure they deserve much kudos for doing their job, its more that most people don't realise the MP can and will help them out where they can.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 19:53:51 »

i dont think she cares at all jonny.
her response letters to issues are just the part line all the time.julia drown's were completely different and her own views.
infact i'm thinking i might not be able to vote labour after all.all this talk of snelgrove is putting me off
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:03:26 »

I've found Anne Snelgrove to be very helpful, not least when we (the Trust) were looking for help in possibly fending off the whole club going kaboom when the old board were doing their best to take us under. She's also to my knowledge been very helpful in dealing with constiuents' issues on personal matters. And as a side note, both she and Rod Bluh (and JT and other senior councillors) were also very impressive in being prepared to set aside party interests in the best interests of the Town. Very easy to slag these people down but there's a lot of work get done that most don't see
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:14:28 »

Good point Paul but they are on incredibly good money,alot more than Anne Snelgrove recieves...they should be delivering a good service for the citizens they represent...it shouldnt come as a suprise.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:16:17 »

I hope people go out and vote instead of whinging and moaning or spoiling the ballot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: