Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nestor Lorenzo  (Read 2143 times)
zoltanbuchan

« on: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 11:37:16 »

I'm doing a bit of reasearch into Nestor Lorenzo's career in England. Can anyone tell me anything about him, in particular why he only played 2 games in his second season?

Thanks
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 12:13:47 »

In his second season 1991/92 Glenn Hoddle had signed Shaun Taylor as the first choice centre half and favoured Taylor and Colin Calderwood as the defensive pairing with Hoddle himself as a sweeper or Ross McLaren so Lorenzo was out of favour.

However, when Hoddle got injured many thought Lorenzo would come back in the team as a natural ball playing defender but it is believed that his transfer fee from Bari, about £400K, was appearance dependent so Swindon stopped playing him to aviod a further fee.

Many memories of Nestor from scoring against Pompey on his debut, getting sent off for taking out Robert Fleck at Norwich in the FA Cup and I remember him coming on at Oxford in the 5-3 defeat in 1991/92 to a raptuous applause and immediately getting into Oxford.

I believe he returned to Argentina at the end of the 1991/2 season
zoltanbuchan

« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 21:42:20 »

Cheers mate, that's fantastic info.
I know that he went back to Argentina after leaving the Town, and eventually ended up at Boca Juniors. He was part of Argentina's coaching team for the 2006 World Cup, and was last seen on British TV enthusiatically battering anyone in a German shirt in the quarter-final post match punch-up.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 22:47:56 »

I enjoyed his part in the 4-0 demolition of Bristol City at Ashton Gate in Jan'91 (if that helps).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: