Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Charlton Athletic Official Matchday thread  (Read 28307 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:27:35 »

I thought we looked a pretty damned good side yesterday, best for many a year.  Yes our subs are not as good, but it's amazing that we've got so many better players than we had last year (and some of them are the same player in name).

I, despite the late goal, feel quietly confident that we'll do well in the play offs now which is well above my pre season expectations.  It's a delight to attend games knowing we'll at least have good length spells of good football, entertainment and effort.
Spencer_White

« Reply #226 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:29:56 »

Referee Hall is one of those refs who think people pay money to watch him. He gave so many unessesary free kicks to both sides, he didnt quite ruin the game, but with another ref I think it would have been a much better game to watch. Refs like Hall (letter of the law refs) drive me mad because they have reduced the spectacle of league football, made it such a soft game.

All this stuff about Wilsons substitutions is a bit harsh. Austin was closely marked all game and struggled to get into it. Once again our home fans have to give Macklin some time, its hard to find your touch for the last 10 minutes of a game.

The reason we lost out is because we only managed 1 goal and they had a man over, in the box, unmarked to pass to. If a Swindon player is tracking back with him then he doesnt score. Charlton are OK, but Shelvey is the only player Id love to see at Swindon.

We should have had all 6 points off Charlton, dropping points in these sort of games means that our outside shot at an automatic place is all but over. Players need to concentrate for next week. Oldham won at Tranmere so their confidence will be up. Huddersfield have slipped out of the play offs and will be desperate to get some points off a team in the play off places. Im a bit nervous about it, still a lot of games, a lot of points still needed for the play offs.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:38:43 by Spencer_White » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #227 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:32:20 »

The reason we lost is because we only managed 1 goal and they had a man over,

Except that we didn't lose Spencer!
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:38:55 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:32:46 »

hall decided that the ruling about playing on even if someone's down had to be changed yesterday, he's a complete clown

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:32:55 »

I'm not sure there is one single underlying issue, but we had the same problem last season, and it very nearly took us down, rather than comfortably  mid table...this season, it looks to have undermined a shot at the top 2, but I suppose, that is only right and proper, because it indicates we're not quite good enough.

As regards PO's if we do make it...doesn't bear thinking about....there's plenty who've yet to get over Brighton  Sofa
Spencer_White

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:37:13 »

We didn't lose though Spencer
Except that we didn't lose Spencer!

I meant to say lost out on 2 more points BK
Meant to say lost out on 2 more points Bangkok Red!!!!!

And forgot to say, the linesman must be Hall's bumchum. He spent more time watching the ref than the game, and always waited for Hall's decision. Prick.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:40:03 by Spencer_White » Logged
Spencer_White

« Reply #231 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:42:39 »

One more thing. How come there were so many Police in the ground yesterday???!!! It was Charlton, not Millwall. They cost a fortune.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:53:47 »

Good point...way to many stewards as well....can understand the dodgy matches but there were yellow coats everyware.....maybe its a topic the trust could get there teeth into.
Back to the game and ive got to say how nice it is to watch the Town at present..some of our football was breathtaking yesterday...as for the late goals its incredibly frustrating and without them we would be pressing for auto promotion....its still not ut of the question as if the games in hand are won ware in the mix....some games are going to be scrappy and if we can did results from them ones we will be in the mix.
dell boy

« Reply #233 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 12:08:51 »

Very disappointed with the result, not disappointed with the performance. Nowhere near the high level we showed against Leeds though.
A couple of things for me yesterday - Charlie had his worse game of the season but he is allowed that.
Paynter, he must have a sore back and neck, how many times was he fouled without the ref having a word with the Charlton player.
Highlight Paynter throwing the centre back over his head when he jumped on his back yet again late in the second half, that was brilliant.
How many snipers were in the crowd yesterday, the Charlton players seem to fall down without cause on many occasions.
Charlton are a poor side imo, and there fans, fucking drum were crap as well.
The ref was fucking shite, bottled most decisions, if that wasn't a foul on Paynter in the penalty area when he was jumped all over again on his back, when was given as a free kick everywhere else on the pitch.
And last but not least - Macklin is crap, he will never make it in this grade as long as I have a hole in my arse.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 12:49:46 »

I thought the strangest decision by the ref was when their keeper got injured when Austin chased a through ball. There was no sign of any contact and the ref didn't give a free kick, then their keeper stands up and starts holding his chest. Then the ref blows, the trainer comes on and he restarts the game with a free kick - he never have a fick and it should have been a drop ball. I know he would have just dropped the ball to the keeper but still, it was a mistake.

Having looked at their goal on the highlights it looked to me like LJF didn't see the man behind him or lost track of him. He had plenty of time to cover him but didn't, he seemed to be trying to cover an imaginary player. Strange, but still a mistake he really shouldn't have made.

But it was the entire team that turned to shit and the goal could have come from anywhere. On the highlights show Claridge suggested it was due to a lack of leadership when it mattered. Maybe he has a point - Lucas, Greer and Douglas should be stepping up at times like that and I didn't see any evidence of it. Not blaming them, but something is wrong and Wilson needs to fix it.

Maybe he should have put Morrison on for Austin and switched to a 5-4-1 to provide extra cover?
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:00:51 »

Phil Parkinson in the NOW today:

We knew Swindon were prone to letting in late goals so we never gave up

Sys it all really
Spencer_White

« Reply #236 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:08:10 »

And last but not least - Macklin is crap, he will never make it in this grade as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Anyone who saw him start at McDons, saw him skip past players like they werent there would disagree.

Honestly, I cant use any other word than 'beautiful' to describe the football he was playing. Giggsesque. Hes had the full force of a frustrated crowd at the CG and not showed much at home, so its no wonder hes nervous.

Its only because JPM has had such a good season that he hasnt started more games. Give the lad a chance!
dell boy

« Reply #237 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:21:03 »

Anyone who saw him start at McDons, saw him skip past players like they werent there would disagree.

Honestly, I cant use any other word than 'beautiful' to describe the football he was playing. Giggsesque. Hes had the full force of a frustrated crowd at the CG and not showed much at home, so its no wonder hes nervous.

Its only because JPM has had such a good season that he hasnt started more games. Give the lad a chance!

I didnt see the MK game, I've heard great reports about the lad from others on here and would love to see him being a top player. One game doesn't make him a good player nor a bad player (re Franchise) every player has one of those great games. Consistency is the name of the game at this level and on his home form he has locked like a useless schoolboy He runs around like a headless chicken who has no football awareness of the situation around him, yesterday was a stupid substitution from the management at a crucial stage of the game imo.

Saying that it is very hard to come on as a sub and be an influence in the game, but being a professional footballer, especially a young and supposedly hungry professional footballer is what it is all about.
Spencer_White

« Reply #238 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:23:40 »

If we dont get the best out of him then someone else will.

Hes got the ability to take on players, and who doesnt want to see a bit of that?!
dell boy

« Reply #239 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:27:00 »

If we dont get the best out of him then someone else will.

Hes got the ability to take on players, and who doesnt want to see a bit of that?!

If you are right, then loan him out, maybe in the Conference or Div One and let him start matches and get the games under his belt. Keep using him as a sub is not going to help his confidence and improve his consistency.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: