Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Charlton Athletic Official Matchday thread  (Read 28284 times)
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:26:44 »

Decent result against 3rd in the league- but how much better would it have felt if we had been 1 down and equalised in the 93rd minute. Why cant we do it for a change?

Think people are more disappointed in the nature of the result. How many times this year have we conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game? It is taking the piss now to be honest. I can recall the following games where it has happened:

Oldham (A)
Wycombe (H)
Exeter (A)
Millwall (H)
Charlton (A)
Southend (A)
Charlton (H)

We seem to sit far too deep in games especially in the last 15 minutes, inviting the opposition to come onto us. Must cut this out of our game if we are to maintin top 6.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:28:12 »

it's a fucking abomination we didn't win today. Charlton had 10 minutes in the first half when they played well - really turned it on, but we dominated overall and were clearly the better side. Some of our football was immense. I'm not just talking about the one-touch football, but just watching our players having the confidence to have time on the ball... Even Cuthbert and Greer, as much as I liked Jerel - they're a different class.

Ferry and Douglas, the amount of times they take a touch turn and look around... we're fucking great to watch.

We won't win every game and we haven't got the strength to do top two, but I've not enjoyed watching town as much for years, and if we can keep it up we're a shoe-in for the play-offs.

People complaining we didn't close it out today forget how fortunate we were to win at stockport.

Win some, lose some.. we've played another promotion favourite off the park.

We're fucking ace and I'm loving it.

Plus, if we did win every game it'd be too easy. And that's not the Swindon way!

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:29:04 »

must admit though, the late goal thing is baffling.

My heart sank when the 4th official said 5 minutes Sad
Barry Scott

« Reply #213 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:29:34 »

interesting points all round.

Lecs was out of position for the goal As wilson said some players were going forward when they shouldn't However I thought he was excellent otherwise

shit happens.

thought we were excellent. so solid at the back bar the goal, greer was just immense. Ferry superb in the middle with JPM

Doulglas still good perhaps although not as commanding as in recent weeks. Ward also quiet but he's young and still learning.

Not gonna complain too much. I was pig sick at the final whistle but on reflection another ace peformance. Some times you get the breaks - others you don't.

We were superb again today. Keep playing like that and we'll defo make the play-offs.

Onwards and upwards. After Huddersfield we have a good run of very winnable games.

Just think: we're gutted after drawing with charlton.Shows how far we've come. No?

Good post, that's the kind of reality I like.

I've been filled with rage since the game, not really because of the game, but the spastic sat next to me and the parking ticket on my windscreen upon leaving. I feel thoroughly relaxed about it all now. Do you offer therapy sessions? Smiley

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:32:12 »

if we continue as we are the points will take care of themselves.we'll make the play offs for sure if we can avoid injuries.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:45:33 »

We seem to sit far too deep in games especially in the last 15 minutes, inviting the opposition to come onto us. Must cut this out of our game if we are to maintin top 6.
did you see their goal today with the ball over our defence after they pushed up?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:55:20 »

Just seen  the goals. What the fuck was JFL thinking for their goal? FWIW I think he had a really good game today, but that one lapse of concentration was crucial.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 07:25:39 »

but that one lapse of concentration was crucial.

Ifilitis can strike anyone without warning. 'Tis a cruel infiction with no known cure.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 09:04:11 »

The ref was inept and the linesman over the DRS side obviously had an injury which meant it was painful to lift his arm unless the ref told him to.

The whistle for halftime was when the ball was out of play, due to us winning a corner. OUT OF PLAY YOU FUCKNUGGET!

Having said all that a draw was probably a fair result. Charlie and Billy worked hard, but didn't seem to get into many decent positions in front of goal. Midfield were, for the most part, very good. JPM had some sublime touches, particularly in the first half and he and Manky seem to have a great understanding of each others game. Lesch was Lesch! We know he makes the odd blunder, but overall he played well. The thing that worries me when he's involved in the play is that he looks so fucking nonchalant! Ward didn't look the player he was against Leeds. Greer needs to damage his head before every game. After he got it bandaged I thought he was awesome, winning almost everything. Lucas didn't have much to do and the goal wasn't his fault, more a collective effort to fuck it up.

Wilson said on the radio interview after the game that the players panic towards the end and stop doing the things they've been told to do.

All the people on here who say we should just continue to play our normal game when defending a 1-0 lead, with 10 minutes to go haven't really thought things through. Teams will attack in numbers to earn a draw, meaning we have to defend in numbers. The problem is that the players don't seem to be able to adapt to that and lose concentration. It's certainly an issue, but I don't think it's down to Wilson entirely.

On to Tuesday night... 

It's All Good..............
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 09:21:34 »

Agree with you Hertha. Chalrton threw everything at us after we scored. They clearly came for a point and they got it. I had a feeling they would line up with 4-5-1 and that they would play some hoof ball. These sort of teams are up there because they make it difficult for the footballing teams to play their game. It's how teams like Plymouth have won this league in the past. Sadly we got dragged into their game after 30 mins and we didn't really know what to do. As for their goal people moan that we sit back all the time but when we did go forward we got caught on the break so what good was it? Frustrating but oh well.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 09:32:06 »

I know we beat Leeds 3-0 which was quite frankly a superb result and deserved at that, however I really feel like we are due to thrash someone by 5/6 (although that team should have been Leeds with the chances we had)!  I know we put 4 past tranmere but i'd love to see us put several past a struggling side.  The problem is, its the struggling sides we seem to scrape results against!

In the grand scheme of things, the above is pretty irrelevant as long as we continue to pick up points, however it just feels like we are due to obliterate someone!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 10:03:06 »

Well we scored 3 past Yeovil and Gillingham Luci. Oldham don't score many at all and apparently they play a negative game so we can expect yet another 4-5-1 team on Tuesday night.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 10:33:30 »

we defend to deep and panic - Lucas boots a goal kick upfield with 3 mins to go - it's pinged back and they score - maybe he'll think a bit better next time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:04:28 »

More or less 27% of our goals conceded this season have been in the last 5 mins...Houston we have a problem.

Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:11:08 »

The problem lies with the substitutions,I think i read somewhere we have a good team but not a good squad,whoever said that was spot on in my eyes,I just hope we can get these players that DW is after then i think it will cure our late goal problem.

Im delighted we have come so far since last season and never expected us to be in this position,I hope the booing was aimed at the ref and not the performance.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: