Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Charlton Athletic Official Matchday thread  (Read 28277 times)
Spencer_White

« Reply #240 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:35:34 »

Hhopefully it would toughen him up as well. Unfortunately I think Wilson fears him comming back ruined, in bits.

And that is his real downfall, worries about injuries.

wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:48:07 »

Went straight on the lash after the game yesterday and the world has finally stopped spinning enough for me to fall out of bed and read the thread.

1-1 against Charlton has to be an ok result - certainly no need to boo the team.

As others have said we are playing some very good football and the entertainment value is very high.

I don't entirely agree that Charlton pushed us back towards the end. As soon as we scored our midfield retreated about 10 yards and we invited them on to us.

A question about the rules of the game. If an outfield player receives treatment from the physio they have to leave the field of play before being let back on - is therre a different rule for goalkeepers?

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 13:50:33 »

Yeah goalkeepers don't have to leave the field.
Think it's just simply so the goal isn't left empty.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #243 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 14:09:05 »

I think congrats must go to the guy who looks after the pitch. Its still in excellent nick - he's done a great job.
On reflection I think Charlton's players were even bigger whingers and cheaters than either Leeds or Millwall and thats some achievement.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 14:44:33 »

Anyone who saw him start at McDons, saw him skip past players like they werent there would disagree.

Honestly, I cant use any other word than 'beautiful' to describe the football he was playing. Giggsesque. Hes had the full force of a frustrated crowd at the CG and not showed much at home, so its no wonder hes nervous.

Its only because JPM has had such a good season that he hasnt started more games. Give the lad a chance!

Indeed, he was awesome up at MK. Although I dont think they had their strongest line up out that night.

He performs better away from home, our fans have been totally on his back since his first touch against Leyton Orient last year. It is far from a coincidence he plays better away from home.

I do agree that he needs games at a decent level but our sqaud isnt huge. I'd try to get him out on loan to someone in L2.

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 15:16:58 »

Couldnt believe how negative charlton were to start, the shot against the bar was literally their 1st of the game. They seemed to think we were Man Utd or something with the ammount of respect they gave us.

It makes it even more puzzling beacuse they looked a decent side to me when they actually had a go at us. But we should have been winning by at least 2 at that point. Although I have to agree with other posters that Charlton gave Millwall a run for thier money in the moaning and cheating stakes. The ref didnt help that either.

Its hard not to be pissed off that we've dropped 4 points in the last 2 games and maintain the sense of perspective that we have a good side and are doing well. there's always the "what if" scenario that we could be 3 or 4 points behind charlton with 3 games in hand. Its even more annoying that Norwich lost and leeds drew yesterday.

On the positive side, A win against Oldham, a point against Huddersfield then 3 very winable games against stockport, Carlisle and Leyton oriient coming up

I really think we'll make the play offs as long as we dont get long term injuries to 3 or 4 key players
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 15:57:33 »

I think we'll get more than 80 points this season, which will be easily good enough for the Play Offs.  People weren't/aren't seriously considering we'd be in with a shout of the automatic spots were/are they?  We are a good team, and playing some good football were a match for most teams, but when we are little off colour we don't have the little bit extra to still get win after win.  Finishing in the top 6 this season will be a master stroke by everyone involved, especially following the near wrist slitting that was going on at the start of the season after Cox went and we weren't going to score for toffee.

Like Luci said, I can really see us taking a team apart before the end of this season and with Oldham, Carlisle and Stockport as our next 3 home games it could be one of them.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 17:38:05 »

I must admit i'm worried that we'll just miss out on the play-offs. I obviously hope I am wrong. The reason I think that though is because this league is so strong. You have to look at our points per game ratio and normally we'd be top 3 or 4 easily with it. But we're 6th. Even with going 8 unbeaten Millwall have somehow overtaken us. The top 8 are starting to run away from the rest of the pack and I think all 8 will end up with a decent points haul come May. Our goal difference or our dropped points will be what sees us miss out sadly. It's been a bloody good season though so we can't grumble.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 17:56:37 »

To be fair, i've seen nowt from macklin to suggest he's ready for the first team now.

Not going to write him off completely yet though

Things get better but they never get good
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 17:57:42 »

If you take the games in hand in to account its only the top 2 that are clear and the next 6 all pretty close, no more than 3-6 points between them which is nothing at this stage of the season. We just have to keep things going as they are and we'll make the playoffs easily.

I reckon 75 points will be enough, it normally is for 6th, so we're only 26 points away which is 9 wins and a piece of piss. We'll confirm our playoff place with a game or two to go. Probably.
Spencer_White

« Reply #250 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 18:10:59 »

Defense was ball watching for their goal.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 18:51:06 »

Just got home.

Gutted to lose 2 points so late on.

We started off very well and I am sure that if we had scored in the first 30 minutes when we were on top Charlton would have sunk without trace. However they came more into the game and hit the bar with a good move. Second half was quite even, well worked Amankwaah goal and we looked like we were going to hold on until we switched off and poor defending allowed Charlton to steal the point.

Player wise - Lucas. Solid, feel confident with him in goal

Defence - Cuthbert is a great defender, oozes class. Greer I think is a bit shakey, his method of going up to win headers is always putting his hands on the other players back and to me he runs the risk of conceding lots of free kicks. Lesh is great one minute and then a bombscare the next and I love Amankwaah bombing forward to support.

Midfield - Best part of the team. Ferry was excellent and McGovern never stopped running, he really wants a new contract! Douglas solid and no nonsense as usual

Strikers - Austin and Paynter were quiet today. Charlton defended well and Charlie didn't get a kick. When Macklin came on, for the first 5 minutes I wondered if he was actually a footballer as his touch was woeful. Improved and gives us pacey options on the bench. Seems to have grown as well.

Overall we were better than Charlton and I wouldn't be surprised if we finished above them. Think we need about 3 more in the squad in case of injuries/suspensions etc.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 18:55:52 »

To be fair, i've seen nowt from macklin to suggest he's ready for the first team now.

Not going to write him off completely yet though
Fair comment, let's not forget he was a youth teamer last year and he has broken his leg this season!  Better judges than us have seen him play during his formative years and really rated him.  Sadly he needs games, and he's not getting many at the moment with the woeful situation regarding the reserves and game time.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 19:06:38 »

Shame to concede another late goal but a good point none the less.

I thought first half, we played really well, some great football down the right hand side with Kev and JPM. Charlotn were woeful first half with Shlevy having there only chance. We could and should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

Second half, we didnt pass the ball aswell as we had been doing in the first half. The corner for the goal was well worked and Manky took it well. We then just sat back and as soon as 5 minutes went up, you knew what was going to happn.

But at least we still have games in hand on everyone else around else. And the linesman on thne DRS side was a total cock, he didnt know how to use his flag, apart from when he gave Charlotn a throw when the ball clearly never went out.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 19:51:16 »

Dont know why he keeps bringing Austin off-if Pericard's on the bench ok but yesterdays change was unfathomable to me,Macklin was not the option in my opinion,have to say Easton was the one to bring on the way the game was going .Not complaining about the performance,Im really enjoying the football we're playing at the moment,just frustrated like everyone else.However,cant agree that Charlton looked a good side and as someone said,I'd love to get them in the play-offs.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: