Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Labour's newest tax on motoring  (Read 4959 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 11:44:24 »

Now, I don't normally like to get involved in political discussions on here, but this newest tax is just plain fucking ridiculous.

If your employer provides you with a parking space, you will now be charged £250 a year to park at your place of work. Technically the government will charge your employer, but they are free to pass the cost on.

The country’s first “workplace parking levy” will come into force in Nottingham in 2012 and is likely to be adopted by other councils.

Under the scheme, any firm with 11 or more staff parking spaces will be charged £250 a year for each. That cost could rise to £350 within two years.

Employers would be free to pass the cost on to their staff. An estimated 40,000 commuters in Nottingham drive to work and some businesses have threatened to leave the area if the scheme is introduced.

Business associations oppose the extra cost, which has been put at more than £3 billion if it were rolled out nationwide. About 10 million people in Britain drive to work every day.

Councils in Milton Keynes, Exeter, Cambridge and Oxford have expressed interest in the scheme.

The Core Cities Group, which represents Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield, has also expressed interest, identifying the levy's “congestion-busting” potential.

The scheme will be endorsed by Sadiq Khan, the transport minister, during a visit to Nottingham on Friday.

The Government has explored a number of initiatives to cut urban traffic, pollution and carbon emissions.

It was forced to back away from a national pay-as-you-drive road pricing scheme because of public opposition but hoped to persuade cities to adopt local schemes such as congestion charging.

The AA described the latest scheme as a “tax on jobs”. “It is very unfair — discriminating against those employers who have parking spaces, which gets vehicles off the street,” said a spokesman.

“These tariffs apply around the clock, which is especially unfair on shift workers who rely on their cars because public transport is not available.

“This is more about generating a revenue stream than reducing congestion and will require snooping to enforce it properly.”

Nottingham believed that the levy would raise £100 million over the next decade, just under one fifth of the cost of a new urban tram scheme.

The British Chambers of Commerce gave warning that it could cost companies £3.4 billion a year if every English council followed Nottingham’s example.

Theresa Villiers, the Tory transport spokesman, accused the Government of hitting businesses with new taxes.

“At a time when jobs are under threat and businesses are under huge pressure, it is wrong to hit enterprise in Nottingham with a workplace parking levy,” she said. “These new charges will be a real blow to the city and we oppose them.”

However, the move was welcomed by environmental groups.

Richard Hebditch, of the Campaign for Better Transport, said the levy would raise money to invest in transport improvements.

“It has the added benefit of tackling unnecessary commuter journeys, one of the main causes of congestion,” he said. “Failing to deal with the causes of congestion is simply not an option.

“We put forward the idea of workplace parking levies as a fairer way to raise money to invest in the future of local transport services. We are pleased that the people of Nottingham will be the first to benefit.”

A Department for Transport spokesman said it was “entirely for local authorities to decide what measures are appropriate” for improving transport and tackling congestion in their area.

“Workplace parking levy schemes may be introduced only if they will contribute to the achievement of local transport policies, and all revenues must be reinvested in local transport,” he said.

Although the Department for Transport backed the application, it has imposed a two-year delay. It is understood that ministers felt that it would be wrong, in the current economic climate, to start the project next year as had been originally planned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/5942306/Motorists-to-pay-250-tax-for-parking-at-work.html
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 11:59:52 »

Ridiculous isn't it. Just another way of stealth taxing under the 'green' labour.  So you pay extra to park on land the company already owns, driving a car that is already taxed, using petrol that is taxed.

I guess 'green' is the marketing tool de jour mind. How many companies really care about their carbon footprints, or recycling or organic whatever just to save the planet. Very few. But it's selling things so lets all jump on the bandwagon.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:01:55 »

Our Country's ace.
DerbyRed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:02:45 »

Its ridiculous!

Am I right in thinking they are also planning to introduce hikes in council tax if you live in a house with a 'nice view' or did I dream that???

What a load of crap!  
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:04:24 »

No wonder so many people emigrating from this country.

Yet another tax that will be passed through our wage packets eventually sending the average employee into poverty.

It's about time the whole govermental system was restructered because none of these clowns know there arses from their elbows and that's any party.

DerbyRed

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:08:19 »

In answer to my own question:   Roll Eyes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertynews/5912420/Council-tax-revaluation-could-penalise-homes-with-a-view.html
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:09:11 »

This is a absolute joke. This is in the end going to cost jobs, end of. And, in a years time, thet are also increasing NI contributions, just as we're in the middle of a recession.

Labour are doing their best to becoming unelectable ever again.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:19:40 »

what the hell?Huh? In the past week Ive just paid My Insurance, MOT, Service and Road tax - just 2 new Tyres and brakes and discs left!!!

I simply could not afford to pay any more monrey out on my car
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:29:59 »

what the hell?Huh? In the past week Ive just paid My Insurance, MOT, Service and Road tax - just 2 new Tyres and brakes and discs left!!!

I simply could not afford to pay any more monrey out on my car

Having a car isn't compulsory...if you can't afford it, then get rid.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:32:43 »

sorry Reg!

I NEED a car and make myself afford it

wow I feel like a naughty schoolgirl!  Embarrassed
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:39:09 »

The green argument is always poor. For instance a lot of the tax rates are based on CO2 emissions which is not a pollutant.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:43:11 »

sorry Reg!

I NEED a car and make myself afford it

wow I feel like a naughty schoolgirl!  Embarrassed

Fair enough, but car ownership has only been around for about 60 years of all of human history and is still probably only within the range of a minority of world's population.

Will it last another 60 years?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:44:21 »

Yeah definitely, we'll have hydrogen fuelled cars by then.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:49:43 »

Yeah definitely, we'll have hydrogen fuelled cars by then.

40 years ago, I thought STFC win more major trophies and space travel would become routine....neither happened  Sad
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:58:24 »

That'll drive the posties out on strike for starters.........

In all seriousness though, the incentives to get people out of their cars as part of the daily commute have to be far greater than those currently on offer. I live in WSM and work in Bristol. I have the option to drive or take the train. So as an example.

1. Driving. Naturally, I have to buy a car, tax & insure it, maintain it, which costs money. But I can use my car for other purposes, like shopping (yuk), visiting family and friends, and even going to football......no shit sherlock. OK, so you have to take account of capital asset depreciation and such like into any calculations. It takes me 35 minutes to get to work, and depending on what time I leave, approximately 40 minutes to get home. Weather conditions don't matter too much (obviously excepting snow, but that applies equally to rail) as I'm comfortable whatever the climate, and I always get a seat. The biggest problem is traffic, particularly unpredictable on a summer Friday afternoon with tourists heading to the South West.

2. Train. Luckily I only have a 10 minute walk to the nearest station, but to get me in the office before 0800, I have to leave home before 0700. The train I catch is busy with commuters to central Bristol, so its hit and miss if I get a seat. The rolling stock is shite, most of the seats are broken or have been vandalised by thugs. Also having long legs, they aren't the most comfortable. Luckily the other end, the station is right by my office, so it takes me about 7 minutes to get from the train to my desk. Overall, my journey time is over 1 hour each way, and its costs just shy of 10 quid return per day. I've investigated weekly, monthly and annual season tickets, but unless I can get a substantial saving (I mean at least an extra 25% saving on the advertised prices) they do nothing for me especially when I factor in leave (annual and flexi), regular trips out of the office and my flexible working pattern (which I have due to doing volunteer work one day per fortnight).

Overall, for my particular needs, using the car to commute provides me the better work/life balance. My employer needs to offer serious incentives to get me out of my tin box and onto the train by providing a more reliable service, better rolling stock and more attractive prices; then I might re-consider my options, but having spoken with FGW reps at length on the subject, it would appear hell might actually freeze over before any one of the above happens.....

I seriously doubt my employer will pass on those charges - there will be a fucking riot in my place if they do - but I sympathise deeply with any that may be affected by it and have no choice but to suck up the cost.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: