Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Labour's newest tax on motoring  (Read 4937 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 13:27:39 »

This is a absolute joke. This is in the end going to cost jobs, end of. And, in a years time, thet are also increasing NI contributions, just as we're in the middle of a recession.
Erm, it's not being introduced till 2012 - they postponed introduction because we're in the middle of a recession. And it only applies to large companies, not small businesses. Always helps if you actually read the story before kicking off.

(And no, I don't think it's a good idea either fwiw)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 13:39:42 »

wow I feel like a naughty schoolgirl!  Embarrassed

Me too!

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
santasdead

« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 13:41:49 »

The green argument is always poor. For instance a lot of the tax rates are based on CO2 emissions which is not a pollutant.

Yes it is,the worst kind. My laptop died so i don't have the figures anymore to back my point up,but i've done enough work regarding CO2 to prove the emissions are damaging the environment.

In regards to the taxing of parking spaces, that is a joke.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 13:42:45 »

Me too!

You need to read that again Nev...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 14:05:50 »

Yes it is,the worst kind. My laptop died so i don't have the figures anymore to back my point up,but i've done enough work regarding CO2 to prove the emissions are damaging the environment.

In regards to the taxing of parking spaces, that is a joke.

So why is the environmental damage caused by CO2 the worst kind? I would be interested to know as my knowledge of science is far from good. I don't want figures just the reasoning.

As far as I was aware, carbon dioxide is just a greenhouse gas which is attributable to global warming; NB: energy generation through burning fossil fuels is the worst culprit for this. It is not a pollutant. The other chemical emissions cause harm to humans, acid rain and smog as they are pollutants.

My point is by focussing on CO2 emissions, you create ignorance of other harmful pollutants so you are less green in that respect. Diesel engines are a good example, 'greener' than petrol in some ways, but much worse in others.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 15:14:27 »

You need to read that again Nev...

Can't really carry of 'deliberately ambiguous' can I ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 15:22:12 »

If I were a business I would start re-classing all my car parking spaces as cycle parking spaces... what defines a car parking space? if it's white lines I would burn the fuckers off and make it one single parking space
santasdead

« Reply #22 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 15:42:55 »

So why is the environmental damage caused by CO2 the worst kind? I would be interested to know as my knowledge of science is far from good. I don't want figures just the reasoning.

As far as I was aware, carbon dioxide is just a greenhouse gas which is attributable to global warming; NB: energy generation through burning fossil fuels is the worst culprit for this. It is not a pollutant. The other chemical emissions cause harm to humans, acid rain and smog as they are pollutants.

My point is by focussing on CO2 emissions, you create ignorance of other harmful pollutants so you are less green in that respect. Diesel engines are a good example, 'greener' than petrol in some ways, but much worse in others.

The first point you raise of CO2 being attributable (infact its a major amplifier) of global warming & the cause being fossil fuels is true. The way that (i think) your suggesting that CO2 is not a pollutant & the fossil fuels are isn't totally incorrect. As an amplifier of global warming,which affects the worlds eco&biological system,it is a harmful substance = pollutant.

I see where your point lies,in the fact that other harmful gases such as sulphur are not combated against as much as carbon. The problem is that carbon is produced on a totally higher scale than other polutants, and throught the past century and half has exponentially increased in production, is why there is so much action being taken against it,as in the kyoto agreement. But i blame the americans.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 15:51:40 »

labour wont be in government to introduce it, so dont fret folks.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 16:02:16 »

A car journey to work; 10mins along the M4 from j16 to j15.

A bus journey to work; approx 20mins to town centre, then 20/30mins from town centre to work, with all my immigrant co-workers.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 19:21:06 »

So hang on here..20% tax..another 10% national insurance,another 10% of my wages on council tax...taxed on petrol etc....car tax, tv tax,...even dog tax,(ive got a dalmation cos a black and white one is cheaper)..........its very taxing thinking about it..hang on what a good idea...tax our thaughts!!!!!!!!!!..
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 19:49:57 »

labour wont be in government to introduce it, so dont fret folks.

Unfortunately its not that simple.

Labour announce a tax such as this (or another way of raising money, increase personal tax or NI or whatever) to be implemented in the future. They then work out how much money it will raise and it forms part of the budgets of future years.

If the Conservatives win the next election and don't implement the new tax they are then left with a hole in the budget. They either have to find the money elsewhere or cancel whatever the money was to be spent on. If they cancel it then they get blamed for it and not Labour.

Take Nottingham and the parking space tax. It appears the Nottingham Council are planning to use the money for improvements to public transport - a new (or improved) tram system I think. If the Conservatives cancel the parking space tax it means they'll be blamed for cancelling the public transport improvements.

Its likely that it would take an entire term of government for the Conservatives to sort stuff like this out, before they could really start changing things the way they want to.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 19:52:26 »

The Tories have already stated they'll make massive cuts in public spending, if elected next year...fair enough, at least voters will know where they stand.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 20:09:25 »

How much emissions does a bus produce? The amount of buses you see which hardly have anyone on, surely the amount per person ratio, a car is better?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, July 31, 2009, 20:25:34 »

excellent news,more needed to get lazy people out of their cars.

the fact is, we're all going to have to make concessions in order to make climate change less severe. when carbon trading becomes commonplace people will find ways to get to work without emitting too much in order to have a yearly holiday in Spain. I'm all for selling my carbon allowance to you rich fuckers who can afford to drive to work every day and fly half the way around the fucking world for a fucking poxy two week holiday at the detriment to thousands of fucking poor living below sea level. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: