Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford Mail  (Read 25084 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:12:43 »

As were Durham City who have also had a good season, although they have reformed since their 1920's league heyday.

Ashington were in Div 3 N at the same time....South Shields were in Div 2, and had a string of top ten finishes, think it was the The General Strike which did  for them
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:26:04 »

I have really enjoyed the events of this weekend, but I think we could really do with 2 games a season v Oxford.

The rider, is that we'd have to be better than them still.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:34:30 »

I have really enjoyed the events of this weekend, but I think we could really do with 2 games a season v Oxford.

The rider, is that we'd have to be better than them still.

Think it makes cock all difference...if you look at the history of the fixture, apart from its early days, it's never been that well supported, compared to other more attractive games.

They normally don't bring too many, and the Manor was a crap hole with a modest capacity.
flammableBen

« Reply #93 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:37:31 »

Back in the 60's or whenever it was that Oxford fluked their way into the football league, was there a consensus that they weren't really worth bothering about, like some fans see the likes of Yeovil and Cheltenham now?

When did the rivalry get going?
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:39:01 »

Well regardless of numbers, it is the reciprocated hatred that makes for a proper rivalry and we haven't had that for getting on towards a decade now.

We still sing songs about them, they still sing songs about us.

Apparently Reading still sing songs about us too, isn't that sweet?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:42:18 »

Back in the 60's or whenever it was that Oxford fluked their way into the football league, was there a consensus that they weren't really worth bothering about, like some fans see the likes of Yeovil and Cheltenham now?

When did the rivalry get going?

Yep.

Look at the last season we played them, which may just have been in the 21st century...the crowd for their visit early season was surpassed by that of Shitty Reading Rovers, Peterboro and more or less matched by the visits of ColU and Looton.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:45:14 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:47:35 »

Well regardless of numbers, it is the reciprocated hatred that makes for a proper rivalry and we haven't had that for getting on towards a decade now.

I don't see Reading as a main rival personally speaking, we haven't played them much in the last 20 years, and I live as far away from Reading as I do from Newport. I'll always see the Bristol clubs as main rivals.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:52:48 »

The numbers that sing are quite tiny, the vast majority of fans, aren't too bothered by the fact we haven't played them for years.

Of course, looking from their end, the average scummer is a curious beast, and they do resent our superiority. For them, being an O*frod fan is as much defined by hatred of us, as by supporting their own team.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #98 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 20:54:00 »

For them, being an O*frod fan is as much defined by hatred of us, as by supporting their own team.

...and remembering the 1980's.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:00:12 »

Oxford were doing this sort of thing even in their final seasons in the 3rd tier.

Its like their shitness has preserved their early 1980's attitudes.

They need fences. Electric ones.

Is that to keep the fans in Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:06:42 »

...and remembering the 1980's.

Well about 4 or 5 years in the 80's.  I recall going to O*frod 79/80, 80/81 when there were paltry crowds maybe 6 to 7,000, no atmosphere and generally crap games.  If you wanted an edge back then, you got it when Pompey came to town.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:13:11 »

I remember the game a few seasons ago when Pompey came to town and were on the brink, they had the bank and the town end...great atmosphere.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:20:26 »

...reading around the Non-League pages on this internet - alot of non-Oxford fans are annoyed that Chris Wilder referred to the Conference as a "poxy league".
He just meant Pox have realised it's their natural level, like calling Div 4 "The Rochdale League"
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:25:33 »

Oxford Fan,

Did you go to the game today?

If so, what happened?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 21:26:18 »

I think this forum is the last place he'll be coming this afternoon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: