Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This forum where did it all gone wrong?  (Read 8175 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:08:08 »

is it 1080 DPI though ?

It is a non-smoking model.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:11:25 »

Only a two-slicer though, albeit HD ready. It's all about your four-slicers when it comes to mitigating crumpet frustration. Sadly, the search goes on.

Meanwhile I'm wondering if the govt will give me 2 grand when I ditch my old leaded toaster for a new fuel efficient model.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:12:42 »

you see I have this problem with my laptop
spacey

« Reply #48 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:21:53 »

TEF I need your help. I'm not up to scratch with the latest bread to toast vector technology. Has anybody used a "4 slicer"? And if so, what are the relative merits and drawbacks compared with, say, your standard "2 slice" model?

In some cases the amount of toast you make can be increased by as much as 100%! I use my 4 slicer regularly and not only does it toast bread, but it also recognises crumpets, muffins and pittas. It also has a switch you can press if you want to access the toast before the timer has finished. This means that you can avoid picking up the toaster and turning it upside down. Crumpets and muffins are quite small in size so even when they pop up they can be difficult to get at. In this situation you can simply use one of these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Spider-Catcher-humane-killer/dp/B000Z2LQ5G

It's purpose is to catch spiders in a humane way by sucking them up. I find that they are also great for sucking crumpets out of hot toasters.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:22:43 »

It's not all a happy picture. Local lass Jo from Wilts warns of a potential Health and Safety danger - turns out the toaster gets hot, leading to potentially minutes of crumpet frustration

Perhaps Jo can invest in one of these to safely remove hot crumpets from her toaster

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pd5_GARDEN_TOOLS_SPADES[a]FOR_11107_FORK-DIGGING-STAINLESS-STEEL.htm

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:30:56 »

But what about Gerald from Norfolk who was less than happy with his purchase but was positively blown away by the classic good looks -

"My main criticism is that if only 2 slices are required you are forced to use the front pair of slots. It would have been better to be able to use either set. The degree of browning is not reliable or consistant and the one side browns more than the other. Overall I am disapointed with this product.. On the plus side the looks are excellent."

Whats he got against the front slots???
Sussex

« Reply #51 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:31:28 »

Crumpets and muffins are quite small in size so even when they pop up they can be difficult to get at. In this situation you can simply use one of these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Spider-Catcher-humane-killer/dp/B000Z2LQ5G

I normally just stick a knife in and hook them out. Is this a bad idea?
land_of_bo

« Reply #52 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:31:30 »

What is the capacity of the crumb tray?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:34:23 »

Its a good question.

A toaster works by causing a current to flow through a special type of wire with a high resistance to electrical current. The resistance converts the flow of current into heat that browns your bread. As with any electrical appliance, probing a toaster's innards with a metal item like a fork or a screwdriver entails some risk. You probably think that if the toaster is off, the coils are cool, and no current is flowing, it's perfectly safe to use a handy butter knife to dislodge your stuck Toast Masterpiece. It's true that it's safer than it used to be. If the toaster has a polarized plug and if the outlet it's plugged into is wired correctly and if the toaster designer put the switch on the hot line (the standard practice), then the risk is small. But I still wouldn't recommend it. You might slip and accidentally hit the lever and energize the heating elements. You're also taking the chance that those who installed key elements of the system were as carefree about risk as you are. For example, suppose the outlet isn't wired right and the hot and neutral lines are reversed--in pre-WWII homes, believe me, that's far from unusual. The toaster will still operate, but when it's shut off its coils will remain electrically hot even though they're cool from a temperature standpoint. If you contact the coils, the toaster might make toast out of you.

Inserting a metal knife or fork when the toaster is unplugged isn't recommended either. Although there's no immediate risk of electrocution, you could damage the toaster and create a future hazard. A toaster's heating coils are usually insulated from the metal chassis by a material called mica. Mica is a mineral with excellent thermal and electrically-insulating properties that make it well suited to this application. However, it's thin and brittle and if a sharp knife or fork pierces it and allows the coil to contact the chassis, you could cause a short leading to a blown fuse or, even worse, an electrically hot metal frame that could shock or electrocute someone.

Does that happen often? No, but it happens. The Consumer Products Safety Commission estimates that on average 15 people are electrocuted in the U.S. annually due to faulty or misused home electrical appliances, including toasters. Why take a chance on being the 16th? If toast gets stuck, unplug the toaster, open the crumb door on the bottom, and use something dull and nonmetallic such as a wooden spoon handle to push the toast out from the bottom.

Some other electrical safety tips: Inspect cords periodically for damaged insulation or exposed wire and replace those in bad condition. If you get a shock from an appliance, unplug it immediately and don't use it until you've corrected the problem--and remember, given the redundant safety features of today's appliances, a shock probably means you've got multiple problems, e.g., a faulty appliance plus an improperly wired outlet. Finally, never clean an appliance by immersing it in water--even after you dry it, water can be trapped in small spaces inside, providing a path from electrically live surfaces to metal parts you might come into contact with. The risk might not bother you, but why endanger friends or family?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
spacey

« Reply #54 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:35:26 »

This can sometimes have the unfortunate effect of mutilating your crumpets. There's no sight sorrier that a mutilated crumpet or a damaged muffin.
nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:36:55 »

Only a two-slicer though, albeit HD ready. It's all about your four-slicers when it comes to mitigating crumpet frustration. Sadly, the search goes on.

Meanwhile I'm wondering if the govt will give me 2 grand when I ditch my old leaded toaster for a new fuel efficient model.

I think you're confusing 'scrappage' with 'scrapage' there pauld.

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:37:01 »

I find fire a much more time efficent way of removing unwanted spiders.

Does anyone have any recommendations for inhumane mini flamethrowers please?  my old school method of a can of lynx deodorant and a ciagrette lighter is very fuel ineffeicient.

Government subsidies for transfering to a new "green" model would be benificial. The environment's not going to save itself you know!

Thanks in advance guys.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:37:22 »

This can sometimes have the unfortunate effect of mutilating your crumpets. There's no sight sorrier that a mutilated crumpet or a damaged muffin.

Can you hook something with a knife? Surely only with one of those cheese ones with the prongs on the end would be able to be used as a hooking device?

Sussex

« Reply #58 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:38:35 »

I think I'll grill my muffins in future, just to be on the safe side.
nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 13:39:31 »

I find fire a much more time efficent way of removing unwanted spiders.

Does anyone have any recommendations for inhumane mini flamethrowers please?  my old school method of a can of lynx deodorant and a ciagrette lighter is very fuel ineffeicient.

Government subsidies for transfering to a new "green" model would be benificial. The environment's not going to save itself you know!

Thanks in advance guys.

I think you're talking about the now (alas) obsolete  "Arachnoflame 500'".   You may have some luck on EBay ?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: