Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon V Leicester Matchday Thread.  (Read 17201 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 10:08:06 »

TBH i thought we came back inspite of byrnes tactics rather than because of them. Motivation wise he did a faaaaaantastic super duper job, the lack of width, especially down the right hand side was criminal. The Fact our first goal came after smith made a run down the right proved what could have been imo.

Kanyuka was the better of the two defenders, if slightly to blame for the second goal, he could have possibly twatted it out instead of leaving it for smith. I'm still not sure about morrison. He's obviosly got potential, but many a time he was caught flat footed yesterday, and fryatt seemed to have his number on many occasion. First goal was partly down to him allowing oakly soooooo much fucking time to shoot too.

Corrs finish was good. Pook is getting better and better. Peacock and nalis were wank. Timlin continues to impress at left back. Cox is frustrating at times: He'll score goals like the lob against scunthorpe, and then miss chances like he had in the first half yesterday.

The crowd was very good too i thought, best i've seen in ages. The DRS was rocking. Hopefully we can carry on like this in the future

Things get better but they never get good
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 11:39:20 »

The whole atmosphere around the ground was more positive from the off.
The fact that Ifil was included again (albeit on the bench) seemed to have a positive impact.

As for the game, I was concerned about the second half playing into the wind, and thought that we might struggle to get the ball clear.

I think Leicester helped us a bit, by sitting back thinking the job was done at 2-0, but none the less great effort & commitment by the team.

The turning point was definitely the introduction of Barry Corr, when you've got a front man who is winning challenges in the air, you can create unease in the opposition defence.

And although Phil Smith & the two centre halves have to take a sgare of the blame for their second goal, it started because no one challenged for a header from a clearence by Smith.

The best thing is that everyone left thinking about the positives from the result, not dwelling too much on the mistakes, and the management have to build on that.

I do honestly believe that we have the makings of a decent side at this level, they just need to believe it, and that's why Malpas has gone, he couldn't instill that belief in the players.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 11:53:46 »

To be honest I felt that it was the Leicester fans who made the atmosphere yesterday, first half they sung and sung, 2-0 up and they took the piss, but then as soon as we scored the town fans took over and the Leicester fans were silent.

Game wise I wasn't that impressed, great comeback but what the hell is going on at the back still.  Didn't feel the midfield three influenced the game enough although Peacock was his usual committed self, fair play.  We looked lost at times in that second half.

Great to hear the fans concentrate on the positives but personally I don't think the performance warranted some of the over the top comments that were received on the radio.

Hope we get a new manager in asap a fresh approach is what's needed.  Have to say fair play to Byrne for his MM comments post match, thought the things he said were sincere and an apt way to close MM's reign.  For those that missed the interview he said (words to the effect) that he's never worked with such a professional man as Maurice and he has a new friend in the game, he said some other things too.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 11:58:09 »

Totally agree with your post Janaage, thought we were average, committed, but average. Definately need new management and a couple of loan players to freshen things up.

Thought the crowd was outsung by leicester for 90% of the game. Fuck me we would be shit if we didnt go mental after 2 goals in last 10 minutes.
dell boy

« Reply #169 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 12:01:32 »

Janaage, I disagree with your post a lot.
The Swindon fans were quiet in the first half, Townenders tried their best but were outsung by Leicester.
I thought we really got behind the side about 5 minutes before we went 1 down and that continued after they scored.
In the last 7 minutes I thought we raised the roof in the DRS, I for one have not sung so much in years.

Leicester are a good side, but we didn't look inferior to them over the 90 minutes, the playing conditions yesterday made it very hard for both sets of players and I believe, second half especially it was a very decent game.

Without doubt the crowd yesterday played as the 12th man, and the players responded to the support. Well done us and well done the players - a win against Bristol Rovers next week where I'm sure our support will be very vocal again and we will be pushing to safety.

Spud

« Reply #170 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 12:32:04 »

Janaage is spot on.

I said to my mates before the game that the atmosphere would be abit better today as the Leicester fans would make alot of noise, and fair play to them as they did until we got our goals.

I thought that we battled well but never looked like scoring until we went 2-0 down.

Fair play to Byrne for yesterday but i still want a new manager in with his own backroom staff asap.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 12:52:32 »

To be honest I felt that it was the Leicester fans who made the atmosphere yesterday, first half they sung and sung, 2-0 up and they took the piss, but then as soon as we scored the town fans took over and the Leicester fans were silent.
You must have missed DRS roaring and clapping our players back to the centre circle after their first then. I thought everyone played their part yesterday, players fans and caretaker management. Shows what we can do when we all unite behind the team imo, instead of bitching about players and management (not having a pop, I've been as guilty of that as anyone. Well, perhaps not quite as much as some, but we've all done it)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 13:45:50 »

You must have missed DRS roaring and clapping our players back to the centre circle after their first then. I thought everyone played their part yesterday, players fans and caretaker management. Shows what we can do when we all unite behind the team imo, instead of bitching about players and management (not having a pop, I've been as guilty of that as anyone. Well, perhaps not quite as much as some, but we've all done it)

Although I hope the "bitching" comment wasn't aimed at me Paul, I do agree that it'll be a better place if the fans just get behind the whole set up.  Think a new managerial team would be the best way to get things going in that direction, but whilst DB is at the helm, he'll get my support.

As for "missing" the DRS roaring the players on, I didn't miss it, I just couldn't hear it, wit me sat in the Arkells the Leicester fans were all I could hear for most of the match.  Now I'm not saying that the DRS and TE didn't make any noise (as a few chants were heard from the other stands) but from where I was it was very much drowned out by those from Leics.

Think it's important to put yesterday's performance into perspective, and it'll be very interesting to see how the CG crowd reacts against Peterborough next Tuesday, if the going gets tough, especially if a new manager hasn't been appointed.

AF has a real chance here to show us what his ambitions are for the club, I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes from here.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:06:10 »

Although I hope the "bitching" comment wasn't aimed at me Paul,

Paranoid?!

I think it was aimed at the fan base as a whole!
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #174 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:12:28 »

He meant me roaring and clapping jan not the stand
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:16:19 »

I sort of agree with Jan.  We were quiet 1st half, but where I will disagree was on the 2nd half.  There was a very audible level of support leading up to and after Leicester's goal.  That did vanish in an instan though on their 2nd and we ran the risk of returning to negativity (McNamee's sub caused many near me to begin knocking Byrne).

I thought it was a whole hearted performance, and we clearly had a set of instructions to just get it forward and battle.  No short passing game, and it I have to say it sort of worked because despite our lack of threat for large parts, Leicester never looked comfortable in defence against the barrage.

We won't be able to repeat that against most teams because they will also be set-up in a similar fashion and are probably more used to dealing with it.

To all the people suggesting we would not have done well had Malpas been here, well Byrne almost began gushing in his post match interview about the impact Malpas has had on him and pretty much suggested it was a send off performance.  Plus we beat a top 6 team with Malpas in charge only a few weeks ago.  There is fuck all chance that the team turned itself around due to a change in Manager only 2 days beforehand.  It will take time for that to happen.  Time for the players to learn a new system, new instructions, new set-up etc.  Don't even begin to compare it with Spurs, because Redknapp is one of a few that can do that at teams.  The side put out yesterday was pretty much as Malpas has selected at times, there was no revolution.

This is not a negative post, more a lets not get carried away with our tongues bulgin in our cheeks looking all pleased with ourselves post.  2-2 = good result.  performance was ok and effective.  Turnaround and major change - not yet.  Time is needed, and we should expect no sudden run of fantastic performances.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:30:27 »

It was alright,certainly dont think it was as amazing as some people are making out.

Mediocre at best.

not keen on Oxo either..

/
W56196272
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:32:21 »

Fair play Rob, I would agree with a lot of that.

And agree with YR too.   Some of the "that was the best performance I've seen at the CG for x amount of years" comments on RS yesterday evening were over egging it a fair bit.

But I suppose it's better to over egg the positive, than over egg the negative which we've been used to recently.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 14:34:18 by janaage » Logged
dell boy

« Reply #178 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 15:07:02 »

Fair play Rob, I would agree with a lot of that.

And agree with YR too.   Some of the "that was the best performance I've seen at the CG for x amount of years" comments on RS yesterday evening were over egging it a fair bit.

But I suppose it's better to over egg the positive, than over egg the negative which we've been used to recently.

I havent seen us play outstandingly at the CG for years.
It was the feel good factor that made it such a good day.
Also if we had lost against Leicester it would not have been the end of the world - so many factors come into play - probably the best side in the division, no manager at the helm, players very low on confidence after two appalling displays - with all that going against them it was a bloody good performance.
I see a lot more into that game than you obviously do, this season at home so far, we hadTranmere when the club was on such a high there was only going to be one winner that day, then four dreadful home defeats, followed by the relief to win against Northampton, and a clean sheet against a useful Oldham team, so for me this 2-2 draw coming from 2 down and everything against the players is a very good performance.
JPC82

« Reply #179 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 15:08:35 »

i thought we was outstanding 1st game of the season against tranmere
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: