Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Cheltenham. ITS NOT A FUCKING DERBY!  (Read 5799 times)
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:20:01 »

As above. :evil:

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:26:12 »

it is really. ground-to-ground they're the closest league team

Things get better but they never get good
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:29:04 »

Technically it is, but in terms of bragging rights...it's not. MM and the players seem to be making some big deal out of it though, in the Adver.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:43:16 »

As long as it makes them [our players] raise their game, I don't care if they call it a derby.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:47:40 »

The usual criticism is that the manager and players (just about all of whom are from outside the area) just don't understand the importance of our local games.  ('Oxford?!  You mean that's a game that's important to you?  Oh, all right then.  We'll remember that for next time.')

Cheltenham joined the party too late to be fierce rivals - at least for the current generation - but I'd rather have the team fired up than not.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 10:19:01 »

Quote from: "Ardiles"
The usual criticism is that the manager and players (just about all of whom are from outside the area) just don't understand the importance of our local games.  ('Oxford?!  You mean that's a game that's important to you?  Oh, all right then.  We'll remember that for next time.')

Cheltenham joined the party too late to be fierce rivals - at least for the current generation - but I'd rather have the team fired up than not.

Agreed. Although I'm looking forward to seeing Moses "we mustn't get carried away with the atmosphere" Ashikodi's face when he runs out in front of the usual 6,500 tonight, shivering silently with their cups of tea. Or I would be, if I wasn't hoping for a Cox and Corr strike partnership.
broomfield

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 10:56:01 »

If our players need to consider this a local derby to get the right result so be it!

If MM needs to convince them that this game holds more importance to the suporters than any other game then thats fine by me.

AS LONG AS IT WORKS.........
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 10:59:16 »

But why do we need to rely on an apparent "derby" game to get the players motivated enough to perform?

If they can't do this on a regular basis then its a bit of a worry.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:10:02 »

Quote from: "STFCLady"
But why do we need to rely on an apparent "derby" game to get the players motivated enough to perform?

If they can't do this on a regular basis then its a bit of a worry.

Agreed, it kind of reflects JP's comments last week about the 'big games looking after themselves because the players want to prove they can play' i.e. the big the game the better they play. The players should be doing this every week regardless of the opposition.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:32:21 »

Quote from: "ghanimah"

Agreed, it kind of reflects JP's comments last week about the 'big games looking after themselves because the players want to prove they can play' i.e. the big the game the better they play. The players should be doing this every week regardless of the opposition.

Zaboub is a classic 'raise it against the big/good teams' player IMHO. It's frustrating because if he played like that every week he's rip the shit teams apart.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:41:25 »

Quote from: "Batch"
Quote from: "ghanimah"

Zaboub is a classic 'raise it against the big/good teams' player IMHO. It's frustrating because if he played like that every week he's rip the shit teams apart.

As he did Cheltenham at Whaddon Road this season.
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:41:39 »

Cheltenham are fuck all to us, simple.

Our rivals are Reading oxford and possibly city, always have been always will be.  Rovers are insignificant but everyone likes to use it as a bit of an excuse to go a bit nutty for the day!

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:47:33 »

I'd go as far as to say Reading are not rivals either. I honestly could not give a flying fuck about Reading, Cheltenham or Forest Green Rovers, who are all closer than Oxford.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:51:24 »

It is a local derby, plus if you live in Gloucestershire then its got more spice to it. I dont think people realise how much they hate us, and currently they've won 3 out of the 4 games between us and they've scored 9 goals. When you have to listen to the bragging non stop for 2 years it begins to grate. I really want to beat them tonight.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 12:02:49 »

See living closer to Bristol and having to put up with City/Rovers fans all the time makes them rivals to me!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: