Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Martin Allen (again)  (Read 7624 times)
DMR

« on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 08:46:07 »

I'm rapidly coming round to this prospect actually- I bet he wouldn't take any shit of them above.

Mad Dog for Swindon  Cool

(I still feel a bit sick for saying that but I'll get there)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 08:51:05 »

I'd rather eat my own feaces.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:00:47 »

I'd rather drink a bottle of tippex and then eat Chubbs' faecal matter.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:10:30 »

The more I read his comments the more I truly want Nijholt, I want someone who has a passion for the club.

And hes cheap!

Quote -

He said: "I have always said I would love to return to English football, especially Swindon Town, and that has not changed in fact the desire has probably grown stronger.

"Going back for that match in the summer was a brilliant occasion and just reminded me why I loved the place so much. The fans are great and the club deserves a good future.

-

The Advertiser understands Nijholt would only be seeking a fraction of the £250,000-a-year salary afforded to Sturrock, an attractive prospect to a club in financial woes.

He added: "I think my football mentality actually suits the English game more than it does in Holland.

"The game is very competitive in England and I was like that as a player. I believe you need to battle but also play good football.

"My wife and young daughter Maxine loved Swindon before and I think we would all welcome a return.

"If Swindon are interested in me, I am interested in them."

Unquote.

We could do a lot worse.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:11:08 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
I'm rapidly coming round to this prospect actually- I bet he wouldn't take any shit of them above.

He did amazingly well at Brentford, especially when you look at what they've done since he left. He also did a reasonable job at Franchise as far as I can tell and compensation would not be an issue.

I know a lot of people don't like him but why exactly? Is it because he rants and raves a bit on the touch line? Have I missed something? At the end of the day, if we're winning on the pitch I don't suppose anyone will care what he does.

Having said that, Nijholt would be my personal choice. I liked the idea last time around as well. We could do a lot worse than Allen though.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:12:33 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
And hes cheap!

Which is of course MASSIVELY in Nijholt's favour!
kevjoycreed

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:15:55 »

Painfull as it is to agree with, I also think he would be a pretty good choice.
At least the team would be made to show some passion and fight for the shirt, no more half hearted displays from Roberts or Zaboub, no more backing off players in the mid field every body would be made to die for the club or sold off for players who will.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:21:16 »

I think the fans worshipped him at Brentford didn't they? I don't know how popular he was at MK.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:29:38 »

Nijholt over Allen every time.  I'd give Allen a bout 2 months if the takeover didn't happen before he'd be off.  He doesn't seem the sort to get cosy with bosses for the sake of it, a bit like Newell in that respect.

Nijholt has a good coaching record but would be a bit of a risk because he'd be putting his STFC past record on the line.
fjortoft

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:31:00 »

As much as it pains me to say it, Mad Dog has a pretty good record at this level and his teams are always difficult to beat.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:31:25 »

I think that Mr Fitton will have a huge say in who he appoints (if indeed the takeover ever happens obviously but lets err on the side of optimism for a bit).

If Fitton interviews the candidates....he will pick someone who probably has experience as a manager..dealing with finances etc...rules out Taylor (who I still worship as a hero).

He will pick someone who probably wont cost an arm and a leg in salary......Allen or Cotterill?

Someone used to working to tight budgets as Fitton said he wants the club run like a business....surely the only candidate so far that fulfills all the above is Nijhot.

Appointing an ex fans favourite and ex player would help win the fans over to his side too possibly?

Though this is all hypothetical based on if the takeover does not fail...I feel it may be the way it proceeds.

Even though I do not feel Nijholt is the best available manager I think he is the leading candidate so far mentioned.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:41:26 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
I'd give Allen a bout 2 months if the takeover didn't happen before he'd be off.

But it can't go on for two more months can it? If it did, we'd be playing next seaon in the Cherry Red Records Hellenic League Division 3 wouldn't we?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:46:00 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"

I know what you mean, I thinking the same yesterday. For sure he wouldn't have the lack of effort from our players.

I come from a land down-under
fatbury

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:53:44 »

I think hed be ok .... as long as we get rid of the board!
Invincible

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 09:59:25 »

For me it has to be Martin Allen.  He's got the experience and obviously knows football at our level.  

Why don't people like him?   I don't get it!    He may not be the most loyal manager, but as we all know, who is at our level of football.  

Ex-swindon legends don't neccessarily make good managers.  We need experience and a proven track record.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: