Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Martin Allen (again)  (Read 7692 times)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:42:37 »

Quote from: "Oevil red"
Martin Allen clearly is going to split the fan base.

Assuming the takeover takes place (touch wood ,etc) id like to see us have a manager that everyone can get behind from day one.Call me niave but I have a vision of the Board ,Team and fans all working together and being as one.I see the "busy bodies" change their focus into helping the club fill the exec room and empty advertising hoarding.Id like to see a sense of community return to the club thats why the appointment of the next manager is so crucial and not just for footballing reasons

:shock:

Quality mate !

Ever thought of politics ?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:43:02 »

Assuming the takeover takes place (touch wood ,etc) id like to see us have a manager that everyone can get behind from day one.Call me niave but I have a vision of the Board ,Team and fans all working together and being as one.I see the "busy bodies" change their focus into helping the club fill the exec room and empty advertising hoarding.Id like to see a sense of community return to the club thats why the appointment of the next manager is so crucial and not just for footballing reasons

You reminded me of Martin Luther King with that post Yeovil!

'I HAve A Dream' Cheesy

It's All Good..............
red macca

« Reply #47 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:44:05 »

Tear jerking post yeovil
shearer

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:44:14 »

Cant say I like Allen - in fact the guys a cunt , but look at whats happened to Brentford since he left as an idea of what he can achieve

As for the fact he 'failed' at Franchise - who cares, technically Sturrock with 2 sackings on his cv failed, and as for the disloyal bit, Im afraid its a fact of football as proved by Luggy, loyalty went years ago.

Just because a guy is likely to be attracting interest from bigger clubs should not be a reason to appoint an ex swindon player - you can bet if Nijholt etc do well they wont say 'well I was a player at Swindon so best stay'

In any case until Fitton is in this is all academic , we could have Jose Mourinho in charge and our board will still do their best to mess it up
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:45:35 »

Shall I apply for the job

/
W56196272
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:46:17 »

will they let you sit in the arkells then?
sonic youth

« Reply #51 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:48:11 »

Shall I apply for the job
no i refuse to back you
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:49:55 »

I'd take allen or Nijholt. I hate Allen, but only because he's been quite successful for clubs against us. He's passionate, successful and would make us hard to beat. Nijholt? Well he was a favourite, is cheap and would be popular, but at this level more of a gamble.

What we can't do is go gamble on a chalky/shaun taylor type scenario...

Cotterill would also be good - at least we have options, assuming the takeover goes through of course.
red macca

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:50:56 »

Im sorry im getting pissed off with this Allen is successful bullshit . He reached the play offs for fucksake.

Sturrock was successful
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 12:51:26 »

I agree with Yeovil, if Fitton does come in this could be the best chance to unite everyone around the club for the first time in, um, ages.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 13:00:24 »

Andy King was successful  
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 13:02:15 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
Quote from: "Ralphy"
English football is widely regarded as the best league in the world.

Even our 3rd and 4th division games can regularly draw crowds of 8,000 +.

The standard of football is also high. I wouldn't mind betting that a Dutch 2nd division club would struggle in the football league. Our game is very physical.

widely regard by english people. oh...

i don't think you can judge quality, success or strength of a side on the size of crowds. oxford still get 4,000 odd ffs!

I wasn't judging quality on size of crowds. I do know that the Football League is a better standard than the Dutch league though.
Lumps

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 13:09:58 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"
Quote from: "sonic youth"
which is actually a higher league than we're in now, if you want to pick holes! the standard is probably very similar.

English football is widely regarded IN ENGLAND as the best league in the world.

Even our 3rd and 4th division games can regularly draw crowds of 8,000 +. Errr can they, average attendances in League 2 are about 4,000 and that's distorted by about 500 by the Bradford attendances of around 12-13,000 due to their season ticket offer
The standard of football is also high Fuck me is it! We strolled to the top of League 2 at the beginning of last season and started well in League 1 this, but I don't recall anyone praising the standards of football. I wouldn't mind betting that a Dutch 2nd division club would struggle in the football league. Our game is very physical. I think I'd be happy to take that bet

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 13:11:57 »

People who point to Brentford as an argument for Allen should also consider that he left when they realised they were heading for financial meltdown unless they trimmed back the costs.  The need to radically cut back, which began just before he left, is the reason they are where they are now.  It's therefore tough to judge Allen's influence at the club because everyone since has not had the same backing.

Nijholt has coached at almost the highest level, his current job is in charge of the team.  He also gets very good reviews from Holland.  personally he wouldn;t be my choice as next Swindon Manager if we had a free reign, but if we only had the 3 listed to choose from it would have to be him.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 13:12:03 »

If the takeover goes through this ais a pivotal time for STFC and we HAVE to appoint the right man.

I was up for Nijholt last time around, but our expectations have risen since then - people can see how good the squad they'll inherit is. No worldbeaters, but more than competent. He'd be a step into the unknown.
same goes for Shaun taylor - bt it would be good if we can accomodate him somehow. If Byrne does leave, Shaun has the experience at youth level with City - he should be the top candidate for that job.

Allen would probably do the job - but I can't stand the little runt and it's about time STFC was one big happy family. No thanks.

Lead cnotenders for me have to be Martin Ling first - good attacking football, on a shoestring, young but not inexperienced and seems to still like the club.

Newell - self-explanatory really. The women won't like it, and may riase a few eyebrows, but if it wasn't for his big mouth, he'd be in a job right now. Not on the same plain as Allen when is comes to the tosser-stakes.

Coterill - decent lower league manager, links to the area.

One I've always liked the idea of, and thjis is a bit from the leftfield, is Alex Inglethorpe. Ex-Exeter manager - now at Spurs. Spurs have been filtering him through the levels after taking him from Exeter having seen how competent he was there - young and articulate and clearly well-respected by those in the know...like Damien Comolli. With Ramos there now and a new structure in place, he might have one eye on getting a job of his own after all. Worth a phone call.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: